View Full Version : Former Whitesboro firefighter headed to Marines

thedrifter
02-23-09, 06:25 AM
Former Whitesboro firefighter headed to Marines

By JENNIFER BOGDAN
Observer-Dispatch
Posted Feb 22, 2009 @ 08:23 PM

WHITESBORO —

When Joan Gallimo first heard her son talk about joining the Marine Corps six years ago, she knew with his determination it was only a matter of time before he made his dream come true.

So she said it was no surprise when former Whitesboro firefighter Ed Gallimo announced three weeks ago he’d be leaving Sunday for basic training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Parris Island, S.C.

Ed Gallimo, who resigned from the Whitesboro Fire Department in January, said he made the decision to enlist with the Marines because of the challenge it presented.

“It’s just something I’m doing to better myself,” 21-year-old Ed Gallimo said.

Joan Gallimo said her son, a 2005 graduate of Whitesboro High School, has always been up for a challenge.

“He hunts and rides a motorcycle and joined the fire department, and he announced those things the same way he did with this,” Joan Gallimo said.

Ed Gallimo’s father, Edward Gallimo III., said his son’s newest endeavor comes with worries, including the possibility of an overseas deployment but added he’s always supported his decisions.

“He’s always had his family to take care of him,” Edward Gallimo III said. “Now he’s got the government and the military to take care of him.”

Just days before his sendoff, Ed Gallimo was remarkably calm as he spoke about the rules of basic training, including not being able to speak to his family or take any belongings with him.

The new Marine never has left home for an extended period of time before, and he said he would miss his friends and family but didn’t plan out his last few days at home.

Although, he said there was one Mohawk Valley tradition he needed to fit in before moving to warmer temperatures – snowmobiling.

“I just want to get some riding in before I go,” Ed Gallimo said.

Whitesboro Fire Chief Peter Sobel called Ed Gallimo “hardworking” and said his ambitions came as no surprise.

Sobel also spoke about the effect Ed Gallimo had on the rest of his family in joining the ranks of public service. Soon after coming to the fire department, Ed Gallimo convinced his father and younger brother to volunteer as well.

Ed Gallimo’s father is part of the village fire police, and his 18-year-old brother, Matthew Gallimo is also a village firefighter.

“Ed was kind of the leader in the pack, maybe the inspiration in the family,” Sobel said.

Ellie