PDA

View Full Version : Marines reunited with families after 7 months in Iraq

thedrifter
02-23-09, 06:23 AM
Marines reunited with families after 7 months in Iraq
Alison Morrow

Forty-nine East Tennessee Marine Reservists returned home Sunday morning to an enthusiastic welcome from family and friends.

After 7 months in Iraq, the Delta Company 4th Combat Engineering Battallion landed at McGhee Tyson Airport while their family waited to reunite with them just a few miles away.

"We've waited for this for 6 months now!" said USMC Mom Susan Dukes.

"It's very exciting. I'm very proud," said USMC Mom Theresa McGhee.

"We're very proud of our men, very proud of the mission they've accomplished and we're eager to see them come home safe and sound," said USMC Dad Rev. Jesse Jones Jr. (russel jones)

"We're very excited," USMC Wife Lacy Tolx said.

The families were from all over East Tennessee, but they shared one objective for the moment they would be reunited with their Marines.

"Hug him!" shouted USMC Mom Jacqueline Jones.

"Give him a big hug," McGhee said.

"Hugs and kisses; plenty of them," Tolx said.

Which is exactly what they did.

Some marines hugged family members they remember leaving behind, while others held family members they had never seen before.

All were glad to be back.

"It feels good. It's been a long 7 months," said USMC Reservist Russel Jones.

"It feels great," said Reservist Jared Robson.

"It feels good to have family again," Reservist Aaron Tolx said.

"It's wonderful. Words can't describe it. I was just so ready for her to see him and him to see her and to see their reactions," Whitney Mooneyham said as she watched her husband, USMC Reservist Brian Mooneyham, hug their newborn daughter, Ryleigh, for the first time.

"When he walked off the bus, I saw him. I knew he was OK. It was a lot of emotions," Lacy Tolx said.

The top item on the Marines' list after all the hugs:

"Definitely her cooking. It is the best," Robson said, looking toward his mom.

"I've waited a long time to see a lot of people, and a good meal wouldn't be bad either," Jones said.

One other cause for celebration today, every single member of the battallion made it home safely.

Ellie