PDA

View Full Version : Swore into DEP as an Open Contract but was told its not binding...

Lupo22
02-22-09, 10:21 PM
I was sworn in January 7th, 2009 as an Open Contract but was told that I will sign another contract the day I ship from MEPS and that my MOS will be listed on that contract or I shouldn't go. I asked two other friends of mine who are Marines and they said this is standard. A few other people concurred but I'm a little skeptical.

Supposedly my MOS was being pulled from another RSS so thats why I didn't have it yet.

Anyone else had this experience?

I'm going 0300 by the way with a 97 on the ASVAAB (not sure what my overall total score was)

Thanks

PaidinBlood
02-22-09, 10:45 PM
You are what beleaguered recruiters would dream about if they slept more than 15 min a day....

Lupo22
02-23-09, 06:51 AM
that bad huh? Even the people at MEPS told me that I will have a revised contract before I ship and that I will not ship as an open contract...

telling me I'm a recruiters dream doesn't help much, but thanks.

rvillac2
02-23-09, 10:05 AM
You need to fill out more of your profile.
Your Marine friends are not lying to you.
Even if you got an MOS on your DEP contract, it wouldn't be completely promised to you until you sign your final contract on the day you ship.

Lupo22
02-23-09, 02:28 PM
Ok thanks! I'll go fill out more now.

I talked to my recruiter today and they are confirming the MOS/shipment date as we speak.

I got on good terms with the CO of this region during our ISTs a couple weeks back. He told me if I have any problems at all, give him a call and he'll take care of it. He helped me get my bonus papers in order so I trust him if something goes wrong.

Thanks again

PaidinBlood
02-23-09, 03:56 PM
Glad to see ya took it ok-didn't mean any harm by it.:thumbup:

Yeah it can be standard especially in a seller's market as it is now (do I have that backwards?) where they don't really NEED anyone. When times are not so tight, they will want to keep their assets (you) fluid in case needed in another spot or different quarter/FY. Just keep an eye on it and don't call the commander of your Region (a General??) unless absolutely necessary. Give your recruiters and their OIC/SNCOICs every possible chance to fix it before skipping over their heads because physics and old man Newton will tag team you and make sure that shi t comes crashing back down on your head! :sick:

Good luck.:flag:

Petz
02-23-09, 04:02 PM
uh... they have a dep contract... and your actually enlistment contract is written when they ship you, 'cause the amount of time you are in the dep program is taken off your obligated time at the end...

Lupo22
02-24-09, 10:02 AM
Yea, I here you on that. I won't call him unless its a last resort. I have good relationship with my recruiter and an even better releationship with the gunny at the RSS. I've done some work on his house for him and he kind of took me under his wing to make sure that everything goes smoothly.

he wouldn't let me change from a 5800 to a 0300 until I sat down and talked with a few grunts he knew and made 100% sure it was something I want to do.

Thanks again

Petz
02-24-09, 10:04 AM
good, now start using rank poolee.