PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get legal advice on breaking an apartment lease before boot camp?

wolf0259
02-22-09, 08:28 PM
I'm in a bit of a bind. I had signed a lease for an apartment back in July. I couldn't afford to stay out there so I got some sublettors to take over until the lease is up in July. I've heard of a few cases of people breaking leases when leaving for bootcamp, but the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act is worded rather specifically. Technically I won't be "deployed" for 90 days and I'm not technically living in the apartment so I'm not sure I can use that. The buck stops with me in regards to the lease so I'm not free and clear. Also, the tenants have had one bounced check so far so I don't trust them.

Does anyone have advice on this? Are there any resources I can use as a poolie? Would most regular real estate lawyers be familar with the intricasies of the act or would I need to find a lawyer with military experience? The company knows I'm leaving for bootcamp but have only suggested to give my parents power of attorney and haven't offered any other options. Then again I haven't asked about options available to me as a future Marine and I'm not willing to rely on the company to tell me my rights.