PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with 1st Marine Div HQ Bat. Vietnam 69-70

andyb
02-22-09, 05:07 PM
Dai La Pass is the only pos that I can recall. We'd also hike down an adjacent hill and set up overnight in a valley that I can't recall the name of. In that valley late one night while sitting in an ambush all the sudden somebody started firing. Apparently one of our squad members fell asleep and was rustling in the bush. Another squad member heard this and thought it was the enemy and fired. There was alot of confusion and yells of cease fire. I was the radio operator and I heard the medic yell "call a medivac" which I did. It wasn't long after that when he pronounced the guy dead. They wouldn't send a chopper in for a dead guy so we had to carry this guy up a steep hill in a creek and in the dark except for the flares that they kept going for us. I'm trying to locate anyone at the top of that hill on the perimeter when this happened or anyone else who may have been on that patrol that can help with approx. dates. Any feedback appreciated.

Al31
02-22-09, 05:31 PM
hey Andy I was with 1st Marines H&S Wpns. Co. (106's) from Nov. 67-Nov. 68, so i probably was gone when you were there just thought I'd say hi to a fellow Marine tho.