PDA

View Full Version : Think of switching from reserve to active duty...

Requiem
02-21-09, 08:45 PM
Hello, Marines. This past year I've gone through my Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) and arrived at my unit in December. Thing is, things aren't going very well for me financially and I can't find a job that would suit my liking or make me happy. My current reserve unit is going through changes and things aren't really happening... they're kind of in limbo which means I'm kind of in limbo in the civilian world and at my unit. I loved being active duty as much as it sucked sometimes. When I was in pain I could smile and think "Why would I do anything different... I love this job." I want that again. I feel like nothing else could fulfill that need.

Another part of the story is that I have a bonus which ties me to my unit, but I have not received yet. I'm going to talk to a recruiter near me to discuss my opportunities and options come monday to see where that would put me and what life would look like if I could go active duty. IE if I would have a choice where to go (preferably Lejeune I think), if I would have a separate bonus, and all that other jazz.

And, as always, there's a girl involved :scared: . I've heard it time and time again from the lovebirds that want to marry their girls ASAP and have them live with them [then their lives turn to hell] to the more experienced who will say "Wait 'till you've got a deployment and at least CPL under your wing before you get married." Honestly, I'm sure some of you will say I'm stupid and what not, but she is another part of the story that I have to include because she's a huge part of my life (let it be known w'eve known each other for a few years now, she's not some random broad).
Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, I've thought about my options (Lejeune/Pendleton/Oki) and I think I'd prefer Lejeune if I had the choice for multiple reasons.

I would appreciate any/all advice or comments on the matter, both on Lejeune, my contract, etc.
Thankyou, Marines
-Req

PS: I'm not making any drastic changes to my life in the next couple months. At least not till summer at the earliest if I ended up going through with this.

richerich
02-22-09, 07:20 AM
Have you talked to your chain of command? They are the ones who will decide to let you go, or not. What's your MOS, and what changes to your unit are you referring to?

Consider Active Reserve, heck, you might even keep your bonus, who knows? And maybe be close to home, and your girl.

Also, there's a way to volunteer for ADSW in CONUS. but again, I believe your command has to give you the good-to-go.

Hello, Marines. This past year I've gone through my Initial Active Duty Training (IADT) and arrived at my unit in December. Thing is, things aren't going very well for me financially and I can't find a job that would suit my liking or make me happy. My current reserve unit is going through changes and things aren't really happening... they're kind of in limbo which means I'm kind of in limbo in the civilian world and at my unit. I loved being active duty as much as it sucked sometimes. When I was in pain I could smile and think "Why would I do anything different... I love this job." I want that again. I feel like nothing else could fulfill that need.

Another part of the story is that I have a bonus which ties me to my unit, but I have not received yet. I'm going to talk to a recruiter near me to discuss my opportunities and options come monday to see where that would put me and what life would look like if I could go active duty. IE if I would have a choice where to go (preferably Lejeune I think), if I would have a separate bonus, and all that other jazz.

And, as always, there's a girl involved :scared: . I've heard it time and time again from the lovebirds that want to marry their girls ASAP and have them live with them [then their lives turn to hell] to the more experienced who will say "Wait 'till you've got a deployment and at least CPL under your wing before you get married." Honestly, I'm sure some of you will say I'm stupid and what not, but she is another part of the story that I have to include because she's a huge part of my life (let it be known w'eve known each other for a few years now, she's not some random broad).
Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, I've thought about my options (Lejeune/Pendleton/Oki) and I think I'd prefer Lejeune if I had the choice for multiple reasons.

I would appreciate any/all advice or comments on the matter, both on Lejeune, my contract, etc.
Thankyou, Marines
-Req

PS: I'm not making any drastic changes to my life in the next couple months. At least not till summer at the earliest if I ended up going through with this.

Requiem
02-22-09, 03:20 PM
I haven't talked to them just yet but I am going to tomorrow before a recruiter. The changes at my unit involve the fact that it used to be an arty battery but it was disbanded and a recon company has moved to the location so they're sorting things out. What is active reserves? And adsw and conus?

richerich
02-22-09, 03:47 PM
Active Reserve: the Marines that work on an active duty contract at Reserve Units.

ADSW: Active Duty Special Work, basically volunteering for various billets for a predetermined length of time and location.

CONUS: Continental US

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/HQ/G1/Operations/Sourcing/GlobalBillets.asp

http://mobcom.mfr.usmc.mil/IRRJobs/ConusMap.asp

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,3333610,278_3333620&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Blutic
02-22-09, 10:20 PM
I enlisted in the reserves after college. After one drill, I got accepted and went to OCS. The command let me go because it figured it was good for the Corps. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just tell them you are interested in active duty, you love the Corps, want to do a full 20, etc. and see what they say. Worst case scenario, you'll have to wait until your initial enlistement is up. Or just volunteer for a deployment.

Also, I got married when I was a PFC - 14 years and three kids later, things are just fine. I don't think the Marine Corps causes problems between people that are mature enough to marry.

Requiem
02-25-09, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the insight, gentlemen. As far as ADSW goes, I don't think I'd be happy as an 0321 doing other odd jobs around.

I talked to a Master Sergeant and he recommended that I get as much military schools out of the way since there are so many open to me and on active duty I'd have alot less of a chance to get them done with.

I'm gonna inquire more about my options, but I really don't know at this point and it's gonna be a bit before I make any final decision.

Anyways, what's the scoop on North Carolina/Lejeune area? I've heard it's hot and sweaty and sucky in terms of training, but how is it to live in other than that? Because my big thing is that I hate living in California, mostly because of bs laws and the people (up North mostly, no offense if you live around here).

alanx182
11-11-09, 01:44 AM
I just googled "reserve to active duty marines" and found this post...as i am in the same boat as you...the funny thing is i am in your unit. I'm not recon though, I'm with head quarters platoon. Are you still with 4th force? Are you still trying to go Active? If you found out any new information, I wouldn't mind chatting with you this coming drill.

87davey
05-25-11, 02:29 AM
Alright, here is the deal with going to active duty, and yes, this really happens...
-First, speak to your SNCOIC. He will direct you to the career planner.
-The career planner will direct you to the prior service recruiter.
-The prior service recruiter will direct you to the nearest recruiting substation.
-The recruiters there really don't care, because it doesn't count towards their quota, so they will direct you to your SNCOIC.
-The process will repeat itself several times before anything actually gets done.
-Myself and another NCO in my section have both gone through this several times, and are just now getting to it; It is much easier to request going active after a deployment, however, it is hard to deploy with a good group of guys and then ditch 'em, so we waited too long :( ...
-Short of requesting mast, you will have to go through some sort of process similar to mine, unfortunately, if you served out an active contract and reenlisted in MARFORRES, there is 0 chance of putting in an active duty package.
-Do not request AR unless you love your rank! If you go AR, your TIG will be sawed in half; if you plan on stopping after 8 years or so, by all means. If you're in it to win it with a full 20, do not go AR unless you really want to retire as a SSGT. I know motivated marines that regret this program.
-ADSW (formerly ADOS [Active Duty On Site]) is a good program; you still compete with your field scores, however. The only flaw with this is it is based upon how much your unit is receiving in funds; so, the closer you are to the CO's office, the higher chance you have of getting approved. Even if your billet is more mission critical than others, they may still get top pick, as it's first come, first serve, and there is limited space.
-Another option is RA (Recruiter's Assistant) for LCPL and below, and RECAID (Recruiter's Aide) for NCOs. These require an interview with your local RS SGTMAJ, and it is currently a pain to get approved; budget cuts hit recruiting really hard, and it most likely will not be an option until Oct.
-Honestly, if your unit considers you a valuable asset/mission essential, you are not going anywhere; I volunteered to augment with 4th MAW's deployment this fall to Bahrain, and got denied because it interfered with AT.
-I am currently still in the process of sorting through this, but these are the options I've tried. My CO announced at our last drill that our unit is being decommissioned next fiscal year, and I can't exactly PCS... so if I can't get this taken care of by then, nonobligor or not, I may be getting "Laid Off" by the big green weenie. Got questions or a solution I've missed? By all means, gents, I'm listening. :marine:

alanx182
05-25-11, 01:13 PM
-Another option is RA (Recruiter's Assistant) for LCPL and below, and RECAID (Recruiter's Aide) for NCOs. These require an interview with your local RS SGTMAJ, and it is currently a pain to get approved; budget cuts hit recruiting really hard, and it most likely will not be an option until Oct.

Never tried, but AR is pretty hard to get into too. There are very few billets out there for AR.

87davey
06-04-11, 02:31 PM
Yes, it is very selective, however, don't rule it out; for my plans, it's not a good decision. Some may want to go down that path. You just need to talk to your CP and he will help you out. Make sure you talk to some people that are already on AR though. As far as the billets.... needs of the Marine Corps. I've seen radio operators become admin clerks and things like that.

Caesar Augustus
06-04-11, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the insight, gentlemen. As far as ADSW goes, I don't think I'd be happy as an 0321 doing other odd jobs around.

I talked to a Master Sergeant and he recommended that I get as much military schools out of the way since there are so many open to me and on active duty I'd have alot less of a chance to get them done with.

I'm gonna inquire more about my options, but I really don't know at this point and it's gonna be a bit before I make any final decision.

Anyways, what's the scoop on North Carolina/Lejeune area? I've heard it's hot and sweaty and sucky in terms of training, but how is it to live in other than that? Because my big thing is that I hate living in California, mostly because of bs laws and the people (up North mostly, no offense if you live around here).

Wait wait you're wondering about Lejeune because its hot, sweaty and sticky?! WTF You're a grunt right the field is supposed to suck, thats why its fun.

Lejeune as of 06 sucked as it always has in terms of what to do in the immediate area. Don't ever **** a J-ville hoe, the strip clubs have old, flabby women, the clubs are lame and last I was in wilmington if they could tell you were a Marine you couldn't get into clubs(lucky for me I'm black and rocked the low reg after deployment so they didn't pay attention to me).

Only BS laws I know of is in VA if you're I think 20 over its a felony and a huge fine. Now other than that you've got VA beach like 4 hours or something, Myrtle a few hours, and a **** ton of college towns. Hands down during the summer its a blast to go to the beach with your boys, rent a room, get ****faced, party usually for free on the beach at night since there are usually trashcans full of alcohol open to anyone and tons of women.

Let me say this what it may have been like getting married at 18 years ago during peacetime is NOT the same as now. Almost no one I know who was married or had a "serious" gf has them now and almost all of them lost them during the deployment or after because their little civi girlfriend didn't like how much their cutesy, cuddly Marine changed after a combat deployment. Its stupid, then again I had to go keep a few Marines from killing their wives/gfs who either stole all their money, moved another man into their house, were two mos pregnant etc.

Best bet is to call the number the reserve has for volunteering for a deployment, do that, you'll be a lance by then, do some MCIs while you're deployed if you can and get recomendations from AD NCOs/SNCOs and it will help.

Caesar Augustus
06-04-11, 03:03 PM
I just googled "reserve to active duty marines" and found this post...as i am in the same boat as you...the funny thing is i am in your unit. I'm not recon though, I'm with head quarters platoon. Are you still with 4th force? Are you still trying to go Active? If you found out any new information, I wouldn't mind chatting with you this coming drill.

You can get into Force as a PFC now?

I remember back in I think late 04 they opened it to all MOS's, but at the time if you weren't already with a unit you couldn't go straight from SOI to Force.

Lol I'm out of the loop

navyvetmom
06-15-11, 11:06 AM
http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcrc/Pages/ActiveReserveprogram.aspx ~ info on active reserve

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN124-11.aspx/ ~ MARADMIN on MOS's needed in AR, you wouldn't be eligible for the incentive bonus but you are eligible to be retrained into one of these airwing MOS's