PDA

View Full Version : NAM w/ V with no CAR

DocBay
02-21-09, 05:17 PM
Have any of you guys ever heard of this? SECNAV 1650 pretty much says thats its impossible to get a NAM w/ V without earning a CAR due to the criteria being so similiar. Is this outrageous to anyone other than me?

usmchauer
02-21-09, 08:33 PM
That doesn't really make alot of sense. Kind of like having a PH but no CAR? I know a Marine in that boat, his wounds were in the very beginning of OIF I.

DocGreek
02-21-09, 10:38 PM
DOCBAY....PLEASE fill out your profile completely. If you have ANY questions concerning this....I'd be happy to answer them......DOC

GolfingJarhead
02-21-09, 11:54 PM
Former Chief of Chaplains RADM Holderby had a Navy Comm w/V and didn't have a CAR. Since the criteria for CARs has fluxed through the years, I can see how it could happen. I think it is near impossible these days, but you never know.

Riven37
02-22-09, 04:08 AM
That doesn't really make alot of sense. Kind of like having a PH but no CAR? I know a Marine in that boat, his wounds were in the very beginning of OIF I.

Personnel eligible for the award of the Purple Heart would not necessarily qualify for the Combat Action Ribbon.

Riven37
02-22-09, 04:32 AM
Authorized by the Secretary of the Navy on January 24, 1962, and awarded to junior officers and enlisted personnel serving in any capacity with the Navy and Marine Corps who distinguish themselves by outstanding professional achievement or for leadership. Originally a non-combat award, the achievement medal is now awarded for both combat and non-combat service. The combat "V" device is worn on the ribbon if stipulated in the citation.

Pete0331
02-22-09, 05:38 AM

Theoretical scenarios:
An artillery, or mortar crew, who fire in support of direct combat operations
A FAC or FIST team supporting
Fire Direction Control Center operations in support

The CAR has more to it the just witnessing combat or getting shot at.

DocGreek
02-22-09, 08:07 AM
JARHEAD.....Whats your name? Where you from? What's your MOS? Just a little info.....PLEASE....DOC

usmchauer
02-23-09, 02:58 PM
Theoretical scenarios:
An artillery, or mortar crew, who fire in support of direct combat operations
A FAC or FIST team supporting
Fire Direction Control Center operations in support

The CAR has more to it the just witnessing combat or getting shot at.

Gentlemen, I'm in agreement with all of you. The Marine I had mentioned stepped on a land mine.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-26-09, 08:18 AM
It's strange to be sure and I'm not sure what the thought process is behind that. However, the "V" does stand for 'valor in combat', ergo, one would *suppose* that means you would be getting a CAR (or have one..) as well.

MarineARTY
06-07-10, 04:12 PM
It makes perfect sense. How can you receive a combat distinguishing device if you saw no combat. Marines dont put themselves in for awards, commanders do... the more PHs, CARs, and other combat medals his unit has then the better it makes him look as a leader (cause he commanded in legit combat unit).

Riven37
06-08-10, 03:29 AM
The Valor device (also known as a combat distinguishing device, "V" device, and Combat V) is an award of the United States military which is a bronze attachment to certain medals to indicate that it was received for valor. The device serves as a clarification for medals that are awarded for both valor (bravery in the face of the enemy), and merit (an extraordinary job under noncombat conditions).

Lynn2
06-08-10, 07:49 AM
In my day it was a no brainer. There was no such award as the CAR.

ssgtt32
06-08-10, 01:34 PM
I remember a situation concerning the awarding of a "V" device on a NAM, It was asked if that person rated it! I do not remember all the details of it, however that person committied suicide over it, because he was the father of the seaman to admiral policy, come to find out that he did rate it after all, this happened in 1996, and that person was the CNO! Can not remember whether he had a CAR or not!

Maurice

Sgt Leprechaun
06-08-10, 06:01 PM
In my day it was a no brainer. There was no such award as the CAR.

You are, then, a Korea or WWII vet? FYI, the CAR is retroactive LOL.

ggyoung
06-08-10, 06:09 PM
In the US Army to get the infantry combat rifle you have to have a infantry NOS. If you have a comm MOS and are attached to a infantry company and are in combat you do not rate the combat rifle.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-08-10, 06:14 PM
Nowadays, however, you would rate the "Combat Action Badge", or CAB. (Medics have the Combat Medic Badge).

Lynn2
06-09-10, 06:55 AM
You are, then, a Korea or WWII vet? FYI, the CAR is retroactive LOL.

Actually a VN vet (65-66)

And yes I do realize that I could apply and get one after the fact.

No CAR during my time. No 0321 mos. No 8427 rate.

A different time for sure.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-11-10, 05:35 PM
Just so everyone else understands what Lynn2 means, (and for my own enligtenment):

"The Combat Action Ribbon was first created in February 1969 with SECNAVNOTE 1650[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Ribbon#cite_note-0) with retroactive presentation to March 1, 1961. However on October 5, 1999, by Presidential Order of Bill Clinton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton) and under Public Law 106-65, the retroactive effective date of the Combat Action Ribbon was changed to December 7, 1941 which was the entry date of the United States of America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_America) into the Second World War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World_War)."

Skosh59
06-11-10, 06:03 PM
CAR

The principal eligibility criterion is that the individual must have participated in a bona fide ground or surface combat fire-fight or action during which he/she was under enemy fire and his/her performance while under fire was satisfactory. Service in a combat area does not automatically entitle a service member to the CAR. The following amplifying remarks are furnished as guidance.

info from: http://www.mrfa.org/CAR.criteria.htm