PDA

View Full Version : Son has GED & Tier II HS Diploma...

SupportMom
02-21-09, 11:53 AM
I am sooo frustrated. My son is 18 yrs old. When he joined Job Corps (voluntarily and NOT as a result of being a troubled kid), he was told he would receive his GED as well as a HS Diploma. He made it clear that his goal was to complete the program and enter the MC. They never said that the JC he was going to, was considered a non-accredited HS diploma and that this would affect his choice to join the MC! I had a very hard time getting a Recruiter to even go see him because they said the Marines would not consider kids from there because they are "Tier II"! I threw a fit and demanded that they take an interest in my kid as he is passionate about joining the MC. He has since taken the asvab in Missoula Montana and scored a 71. All line scores were high. Said he was eligible for everything except the linguist MOS, but because he is Tier II, he would not be able to choose his MOS. Basically the fact that he has completed a 24 month program in welding in 16mos. and has been the president of the student government as well as the treasurer accounts for nothing? The recruiter said that they cannot even consider him until he had a graduation date, so I got him one. Then it was up to the CO as to when he can take another Tier II, then my son gets a phone call that he really needs a HS diploma. They he's everything they want...no body piercings, no tatoos, etc.
My son does not want any other branch of military! I feel he's being marked for not having HS diploma. His choice to leave high school was because he got held back and did not want to be 21 yrs old and in high school. He has accomplished alot being at Job Corps and has lived with kids that came from much worse than he ever had at home. He has been expposed to a variety of personalties and stuck to his morals and values. Of course he's a kid! The worst he did was color his hair, it's comin off anyway!
I really need advice here. Can he avoid having to return to school for the 15 credits and still get in?

junebug
02-21-09, 01:39 PM
I am no expert, but it is my understanding (and I could be wrong!) that they will only allow 5% of enlistees to have GED and with those with no high school diploma are ineligible. I would return to HS. Life is never easy for those who don't have a basic education and HS diploma. A little time now will make the rest of his life easier.

Isrowei
02-21-09, 02:21 PM
Ma'am, if they bent the rules for everyone, it wouldn't be the rules. It's unfortunate that he completed a program that doesn't fit the qualifications that the Corps is looking for, but that's his responsibility and has nothing to do with the standards of the Corps.

If he wants to be a Marine, he will need to satisfy the minimum requirements for enlistment. Period. Being a Marine is all about conforming to an expected standard. If he can't comply with the standard before entering, how is anyone supposed to expect that he will AFTER he's already at boot camp?

Good luck to your son. If he wants it, I'm sure he will make it happen.