PDA

View Full Version : Deploying

RYDERKUR
02-20-09, 03:25 PM
Well Marines and poolees, after almost 2 years I'm getting my "boot cherry popped." Haha. I'm participating in LF CARAT (Landing Force Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) which is a bilateral exercise with 8 Southeast Asian countries and their militaries to build cooperation if the need arises in real world conflicts. I'm excited to deploy, jumping at the first opportunity to do so that was presented to me. We are going out to Pendleton March 1st for 2 weeks and then home for a week, and then flying to Okinawa where we will be training for two months as well as doing the Jungle Warfare Training Course and after embarking on the ship.

It should be a great experience not only for the obvious travel and overseas culture experiences, but for myself to better myself as a Marine and bring the training and experience back preparing me for an actual combat deployment. I'm the SAW gunner in my team which should be awesome for the beach assaults we will be doing in the 8 host nations as well as passing on my knowledge of the weapon to the ally militaries.

The countries and cities we are going to are listed below. Our host ship is the USS Harpers Ferry. I know there is a lot of knowledge and experience out there from fellow Marines. If you would care to, I would enjoy and take to heart all suggestions about ship life, deployment, etc... as well as get a few good laughs at some experiences you Marines had in these countries and some things I should make sure I hit up.

Brunei : Brunei
Indonesia: Jakarta
Malaysia: Kuantan
Singapore: Singapore
Thailand: Sattahip
Philippines: Cebu City

Semper Fi Marines!!!:usmc:

outlaw3179
02-20-09, 05:19 PM
The herpes Fairy. I was on the boxer and that was one of our sister ships. F*ck your life man...that ship sucks. Not a whole lot to do on ship but play cards and jerk off. Have a good time Marine. Semper Fi.

mcvet57103
02-20-09, 05:34 PM
Well Marines and poolees, after almost 2 years I'm getting my "boot cherry popped." Haha. I'm participating in LF CARAT (Landing Force Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) which is a bilateral exercise with 8 Southeast Asian countries and their militaries to build cooperation if the need arises in real world conflicts. I'm excited to deploy, jumping at the first opportunity to do so that was presented to me. We are going out to Pendleton March 1st for 2 weeks and then home for a week, and then flying to Okinawa where we will be training for two months as well as doing the Jungle Warfare Training Course and after embarking on the ship.

It should be a great experience not only for the obvious travel and overseas culture experiences, but for myself to better myself as a Marine and bring the training and experience back preparing me for an actual combat deployment. I'm the SAW gunner in my team which should be awesome for the beach assaults we will be doing in the 8 host nations as well as passing on my knowledge of the weapon to the ally militaries.

The countries and cities we are going to are listed below. Our host ship is the USS Harpers Ferry. I know there is a lot of knowledge and experience out there from fellow Marines. If you would care to, I would enjoy and take to heart all suggestions about ship life, deployment, etc... as well as get a few good laughs at some experiences you Marines had in these countries and some things I should make sure I hit up.

Brunei : Brunei
Indonesia: Jakarta
Malaysia: Kuantan
Singapore: Singapore
Thailand: Sattahip
Philippines: Cebu City

Semper Fi Marines!!!:usmc:

Try to get birthing anywhere but above the engine room. I spent a week on an LST. Talk about a hot MOFO!! Take along a camera and get tons of Pictures. When you're my age the memories are priceless. Pictures help keep em fresh. SF

Oh. and watch out for that Navy chow on board. I swear they put exlax in ours. My whole platoon had the trots the whole week. Take some Imodium AD with ya just in case.

SlingerDun
02-20-09, 05:34 PM
A field journal or souvenirs from the exotics is nice to look back on, think seriously about buying a loaded GPS reciever like the Colorado400t or Oregon.

They don't work to fast and accurate in thick forested canopy but when they do you might be able to find a community or store that none of the Marines knows about close to your pos that sells cold soda, beer, victuals etc...at sea you can locate your position without the privilage of working on the bridge. Be cool and relax at sea, to avoid anxiety remember that nothing you can do will make that rust bucket steam any faster.

Good Luck

--->Dave

Integrity57
02-20-09, 08:04 PM
Ask your SSgt if your platoon can participate in FSA when you're underway, it's high-speed, low-drag chit, looks good in your service record too. Buy a couple cartons of smokes and some chew to take with you even if you don't use either cuz you can always sell it and make some spending to use if/when you get liberty.

Gunner614
02-21-09, 02:42 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Just a side note but I think you might be interested.

You said that you would be at Pendelton for two weeks come March 1st, well on march 4th the Silent Drill Platoon is going to be performing at Escondido High School, or somewhere around there, which is not too far from where you would be stationed. I'm from the area so me and a bunch of other Poolees are going to see it, you should too.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DocGreek
02-21-09, 03:03 PM
KURT....After reading your PAST posts, I thought you were an old fart, like me!! ADVICE: Get to know your Platoon Squid....just in case you catch something unpleasent!!!! You'll like the Phil. LOT'S of fine ladies....CHEAP!! Drink some "San Miguel" horse pizz!! BEACH LANDINGS SUCK!!! Especially, in the heat, and humidity!! My BEST to you and your fellow Grunts!!.....DOC

NoRegrets
02-21-09, 05:11 PM
My son will be on this ship as well and in CA the same time you will be..
OOHRAH:marine:

marine3043
02-21-09, 09:14 PM
would your SNCO's or Co like you tellnig the world what you are doing in the coming months,,,--

beach landings,,, take off your boots,, and tie them around your neck,, when you get to land you will be the only one with dry boots.

RYDERKUR
02-22-09, 11:11 AM
OORRAHH Marines. Thanks for the advice and stories, I'll take them all to heart. I'm getting more and more excited to finally being able to go and do something. Thanks Doc, I'm sure I'll befriend the Corpsman as soon as possible, they are definitely the best.

Osotogary
02-22-09, 02:47 PM
RYDERKUR,
All the best to you on your excusion into a personal unknown.
You have the right to call me any name you want including a**hole for what I am about to type. I think that you gave out way too much information on your initial post, virtually viewable by one and all of many dispositions, inclinations and attitudes. Be safe and get as much positive learning experience as you can.
Adios, for now.
Gary

HurricaneRJ
02-24-09, 04:17 PM
I see this has been a common thing going around with us new guys putting out too much information.
I know where suppose to have opsec but how can we uphold to the true meaning of opsec if everyone working at the MCX knows more about what your doing than you??? I was informed 3 weeks before Mojave Viper that I was heading to Iraq before anyone in my chain of command told me. Why even bother, before any unit deploys, the local paper and the Marine Corps times proudly post a huge junction of outgoing units. Even tells them where there going and what they're doing.

My BC gave us a unclassified brief of what we will be doing in Iraq in front of civilians. I guess it doesn't matter who knows that */* will be standing post in **-**** or **.