PDA

View Full Version : Yuma Marine earns African-American History Month award

thedrifter
02-20-09, 08:57 AM
Yuma Marine earns African-American History Month award
Story by Lance Cpl. Graham J. Benson

A Marine Air Control Squadron 1 Marine was recently selected as one of two Marine Corps recipients of the African-American History Month Recognition Award.

Staff Sgt. Darian J. Lewis, MACS-1 data chief, will travel to Alabama A&M University, a historical black college located in Normal, Ala., to receive the award Wednesday.

The Department of Defense award is given to African-Americans in the military who have made a significant contribution to the Global War on Terrorism in the past year. It is presented to two service members-one active, one reserve-from each military service.

Lewis was deployed to Ar Ramadi, Iraq, in the Al-Anbar province, from February to September 2008 as part of a police transition team. While there, Lewis earned a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for his work with Iraqi officials and success as a logistics advisor.

"Lewis participated in over 40 convoys as a machine gunner and driver and sometimes planned convoy operations as well," said Capt. Aaron K. Ruffins, MACS-1 assistant operations officer, who deployed with Lewis and served on the same transitional team.

According to Lewis' award citation, he was able to procure more than 5,000 flak jackets, 500 weapons systems, 2 million rounds of ammunition and an additional $5 million in administrative supplies for the young Iraqi police force.

"His logistical skills were such an asset," said Ruffins.

The Marines worked with the Iraqi police, advising them on every facet of law enforcement, logistics, budgeting, patrol procedures, weapons safety, proper uniform maintenance and other necessary police skills.

"I immediately thought of him when I heard about this award," said Capt. Bradley S. Creedon, MACS-1 tactical air operations center assistant commander. "His personal communication skills, motivation and enthusiasm were all key to our mission."

With the recent election of the first African-American president, race in America today had been weighing on Lewis' mind even before he discovered he was receiving the award.

Lewis called his grandmother the day of the inauguration and asked her what it meant to her to see a black president. She told him things that he had never known she'd gone through in the South.

"It made quite an impression on me," said Lewis. "I'm honored to be representing all the African-American Marines that went before me and laid the foundation for the Marine Corps we have today."

Lewis will travel with his wife, Shawn to accept the award. His grandmother will also be making the trip from his home state of Louisiana.

"I'm thrilled that my grandmother is going get to be there with me," said Lewis.

Ellie