PDA

View Full Version : Marine returns from Iraq

thedrifter
02-20-09, 08:39 AM
Marine returns from Iraq

Staff Sgt. Corey Daniels worked as a store manager with the Marine Corps Exchange, Forward Operating Base in Rawah, Iraq.
Jennifer Maddox Parks jennifer.parks@albanyherald.com

MCLB-ALBANY — After 13 months, one of Marine Corps Logistics Base-Albany’s own has returned from his third deployment.

Active Marine Staff Sgt. Corey Daniels returned to the Southwest Georgia Regional Airport Thursday morning after a year-long deployment in Iraq.

“I had a good time. I met a lot of cool guys,” he said. “The best part was the morale and getting to mingle. The worst part was being gone for 13 months.”

During his deployment, Daniels served as a store manager for the Marine Exchange, Forward Operating Base in Rawah. His duties were to oversee the day-to-day operations of the store, including cash counts, inventory checks and allowing fellow Marines and sailors to purchase merchandise.

“We had the basic essentials you need to survive covered, plus electronics and other things,” he explained.

Daniels has been active with the Marines for seven years. Thursday’s return marked the end of his

third deployment.

“This deployment was longer,” he said. “It was a little harder to see guys leaving and watching a new crew come in.”

Despite suffering jet lag from his flight, Daniels was happy to be back on American soil.

“It hasn’t hit me yet; I’m just happy to be back,” he said. “I missed the American food. I’m going to check in and meet up with friends.”

Daniels will now work with Marine Corps Community Services at MCLB-Albany, base officials say.

Ellie