PDA

View Full Version : Son's Return

TMann
02-20-09, 07:54 AM
In several weeks my son is set to return from his first deployment to Iraq. We plan to be at Camp Lejeune for his return. For those that have been there before for such an event, what are they like? I know there will be some changes in him....to what extent I don't know. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards, T-Mann

jack246
02-20-09, 08:58 AM
Hi TMANN , JUst like i wrote in my X-mass Card, stitches from wrestling baby bulls 250 , personal parachute 1200 , coming home from IRAQ , PRICELESS!!! congradulate him for me for a job well done ! It will be great to have him back.

sgt03gunr
03-02-09, 07:33 PM
You will see a change but he will still be happy to be home. I agree with Jack...Tell him he did a Great job and WE ARE ALL PROUD. Semper Fi.

Sgt "A"
http://e-5graffix.1freecart.com/

sgt tony
03-02-09, 08:29 PM
Yes thank him from the TOP of the World WELCOME HOME and have one one me

TMann
03-02-09, 10:50 PM
Many thanks to all of you. Still waiting for the exact date but we are now only days away.

ScottsMom
03-03-09, 08:51 AM
Welcome home to your son! May he enjoy some well deserved R&R.

SGT7477
03-03-09, 09:17 AM
Welcome that jarhead home with open arms, job well done Marine, Semper FI.

MrsNix
03-11-09, 01:53 AM
It will take him some time to adjust to being home. Depending on how often you were able to correspond and how frequently he was able to reconnect, in some way, with his home life...coupled with...

marinemama
03-11-09, 06:00 PM
Welcome home to your son! I hope you are enjoying your time with him! Please give him a HUGE thank you from me, as well.

Mrs Nix....awesome post! Even before my son's joined the Marine Corps, they always counted on me to take care of schedules for them....even when they are home on leave, they know I keep them protected from all the crap, because everyone always wants a hunk of them....they come home to be home and enjoy chiilin. I so appreciate all the words you so eloquently typed. Thanks!

MrsNix
03-11-09, 06:28 PM
Back when my husband was a Corporal, I became the "den mother" so to speak. There was just hardly ever a night when we didn't have at least one single marine flopped on our couch for the night or two or three of them hanging out in my kitchen.

I'm a good chunk of years older than the average wife I run into with a husband in the same stage of career as mine. Back then, I was 28 dealing with young between 17-20. So...I felt like sort of a mother to these big floppy teenage boys, and I watched their families and girlfriends and such make huge mistakes when they came home from being deployed. I get protective of the "babies," if you know what I mean. :)

jack246
03-12-09, 10:48 AM
Hi again TMANN, just to clarify my response on 20 feb. My quote was in regards to my son Josh who returned before X-mas.You probably figured that out,but I wanted to make sure.Also to expand on mrsNix response alittle.She brings some valid points to think about.I would like to add that if your son is of drinking age,or even drinks at all,to please be careful and have a designated driver should he go out on the town with friends.I am not trying to sound like a " funhater ", I am just to familiar with how fast a serious car crash can spoil a homecoming or party! I suppose 24 years of being in law enforcement and hundreds of accidents urges me to write this as a reminder to simply be careful each time he goes out. Sincerely, Jack246

marinemom
03-12-09, 01:27 PM
Good post Mrs. Nix - and good advice. Couple of other things that you can expect when they come in - as I learned from my hisband in his time and my son now -

1. Make sure the water bill is paid - and that the hot water heater has been checked for extreme usage. Showers in the sand box were not long and not hot. I think that tigger came out when he realized that he looked like a 6'6" prune after about 20 minutes.

2. The odds are that the unit probably made some dvds of their more "interesting" activities - when shown, do not freak - I still remember the one that had a roof going out of the top of the screen as the house collasped into the sand.

3. Mrs. Nix was right on the money about his time - but the first 24-36 hours may result in a large lump under the covers. Dpn't worry, he is breathing - he's just enjoying a real bed.

4. Yes, get his favorite foods in - he has been on a semi-limited diet and will relish the "extras" - just do not keep asking him if he is hungry or wants anything. Let the emptying refrigerstor be your guide.

And last, just enjoy the time - let him decide what to do and when - have a great visit!

TMann
03-19-09, 09:19 AM
Thanks again for all of your comments. We went to Camp Lejeune for his return. It was great to see him again. It did take him several days to get use to driving again....we did have several instinctive breaking of the car as he approached items on the side of the road. As he said, old habits die hard.

Regards, T-Mann

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 09:57 AM
Glad to see your Marine is home. I don't know what his MOS is or what he did over there, but he should adjust fine. Freedom is hard to adapt to at first but he will grasp it soon enough. If he wants to talk about his experiences (especially the bad ones) he will. If not, so be it. If he needs anyone to talk to, he is more than welcome to hit-up any of us on here. Everyone deals with their experiences differently.

Welcome him home for me.

MotoDad
05-29-09, 10:44 AM
In several weeks my son is set to return from his first deployment to Iraq. We plan to be at Camp Lejeune for his return. For those that have been there before for such an event, what are they like? I know there will be some changes in him....to what extent I don't know. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards, T-Mann

I know this is an "old" thread and I've read all the posts.....great comments and advice.....

However, I would imagine that much of "how" it will feel when he gets back from deployment.....or what family/friends should "expect" in his behavior or "mood"......depends on whether he actually saw combat, death or killing when deployed.....

Depending on their MOS, I've heard guys say they were "bored out of their skulls" while in the sandbox......alternatively, if he is a grunt or in recon, he may have been involved in several heavy-duty fire-fights and killed insurgents and/or seen buddies of his killed or severely wounded....

So my best answer to the original poster's question of "What should I expect when he gets home from deployment?:

It all depends on what he personally experienced over there.....

I would appreciate any Marine's opinion on this, as well.....

MotoDad out

DevsDad
05-29-09, 12:11 PM
Welcome that jarhead home with open arms, job well done Marine, Semper FI.

And a beer or 3!:D
And a big THANK YOU MARINE!