PDA

View Full Version : Marine wraps up 31-year career in Iraq

thedrifter
02-20-09, 07:07 AM
Marine wraps up 31-year career in Iraq

2/19/2009 By Cpl. Bobbie A. Curtis , 2nd MLG Headquarters and Service Battalion (FWD)

CAMP AL TAQADDUM, Iraq —After 31 years of active duty service in the U.S. Marine Corps, Master Gunnery Sgt. Esekia L. Motu, the storage chief, Supply Management Unit, 1st Maintenance Battalion, 1st Marine Logistics Group, held his retirement ceremony in the presence of his fellow Marines aboard Camp Al Taqaddum, Iraq, Feb. 15, 2009.

The Aunu’u Island, American Samoa native was excited to share his ceremony with the Marines he served with while in a combat environment since Feb. 2008, rather than return to the U.S. and hold it without them.

Motu said he takes pride in taking care of his Marines and he believes that it is the most important part of a master gunnery sergeant’s job.

“I can not get promoted to E-10,” Motu said, explaining that the only incentive for him to stay in so long was to be a good leader. “This is it … master gunnies are for taking care of the Marines.”

Motu enlisted June 30, 1978 and attended recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. Since then he has served in 11 duty assignments and eight billets including a deployment to Kenya.

Motu said he stayed in the Marine Corps so long not only because of his devotion to the Marine Corps, but also because of his strict Samoan upbringing and dedication to his family.

He explained that his parents told him if he joined the Marine Corps he should stay in as long as possible and give it his full effort, advice that convinced him to make the Marines a career.

“At one point, when my mom passed away, I was ready to give up the Marine Corps,” he continued. “I thought about it, the words that my parents gave me … that’s what made me stick around this long.”

Lt. Col. Mark Walter, the commanding officer of 1st Maintenance Battalion and Motu’s retiring officer, said he thinks ceremonies like this are important for retiring Marines and that he was proud to be a part of it.

“I think it’s very important to honor the contributions of a retiring Marine,” he explained. “I think it helps to bring closure for the Marine as they move on to the next phase in their life.”

Motu’s devotion to the Marine Corps is so strong that he aspires to return to Iraq in the near future to work for the Marine Corps as a civilian contractor.

“The Marine Corps is not going away, because I am coming back over here,” he said. “I am still going to serve the Marines the best I can.”

For more information about the ongoing mission in Iraq’s Al Anbar province, visit www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/iimeffwd.

Ellie