PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on requesting overseas base

wolf0259
02-19-09, 12:07 AM
Greetings all. My question is pretty much like what the title states. My MOS is for combat engineer and I've been kicking around requesting an overseas base for my initial assignment to a unit (if I even can). So, I am looking for thoughts and suggestions of more experienced and knowledgeable persons than myself. Obviously each base is different in terms of the country it is in so I'm looking to gather impressions of those who have been stationed overseas.

What are some thoughts on this for a new Marine? Any recommendations on places to consider? Any "horror stories"? Stories of good and bad experiences would be good as I'd like to get a good balance of opinion.

Thanks Marines!

rvillac2
02-19-09, 12:42 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

wolf0259
02-19-09, 12:54 AM
Ah. I see. My bad.

KawiGunny
02-19-09, 06:49 AM
Most people don't want to go overseas right away. What happened.....knocked up the ex so it's time to go?

Achped
02-19-09, 10:34 AM
Heck no gunny! At least it wasn't like that for me, I know ALLllll the WMs go to Oki and thats where I wanted to go! The Marine Corps said I couldnt be a grunt anymore so I decided it was time to be around the ladies...Asian and Marine, it didn't matter.

But of course I got stuck with an all male battalion out of Hawaii... whatever though. At least I get ribbons this way haha.

KawiGunny
02-19-09, 10:40 AM
Heck no gunny! At least it wasn't like that for me, I know ALLllll the WMs go to Oki and thats where I wanted to go! The Marine Corps said I couldnt be a grunt anymore so I decided it was time to be around the ladies...Asian and Marine, it didn't matter.

But of course I got stuck with an all male battalion out of Hawaii... whatever though. At least I get ribbons this way haha.

Stick around long enough and you will start complaining about that when you have to have new ribbons or medals mounted frequently.:beer:

wolf0259
02-19-09, 02:15 PM
Hah hah. Truth be told I'd really like to experience life overseas on a "friendly" base. I'm just trying to think of all the things one wouldn't normally miss until a couple months into the deployment. (Food, family, etc)

Most of the threads with any mention of overseas bases talk about Okinawa and from what I've heard and read it seems like a really "fun" place to be. After all, nice weather year round, good looking people. The handful of threads I found don't really talk about what's not to like (minus one about Hawaii).

What I'm really interested in getting info on is as a combat engineer, am I more likely to be sent to Okinawa as opposed to some other random base if I select overseas, or is location determined by "needs of the operation" rather than them drawing from a particular list?

Rocky C
02-19-09, 04:36 PM
Most people don't want to go overseas right away. What happened.....knocked up the ex so it's time to go?

hahahahahahahahaha!!!

Achped
02-19-09, 10:01 PM
IF and I stress IF, you pick overseas and you get overseas, I guarantee you will go to Japan. The odds of you getting Gitmo, or some MSG duty station are almost zero.

commdog7
02-19-09, 11:02 PM

You make me sick! :sick:

wolf0259
02-20-09, 12:42 AM
IF and I stress IF, you pick overseas and you get overseas, I guarantee you will go to Japan. The odds of you getting Gitmo, or some MSG duty station are almost zero.

I see. Thank you for this information, it really helps me with my determination. I realize that the actual chances of getting what I want, simply hinge on what's available. I figure get info while I have the luxury of even kicking it around. Gotta make the most of my slacking/bumming civilian days while I can.

TJR1070
02-20-09, 07:34 AM
I volunteered for an overseas duty station when I was in MOS school. The Gunny came into class and asked if anybody was interested in going overseas to thier first duty station, I immediately raised my hand. I joined the Marine Corps to see the World not the States. I got orders to Okinawa and I had a great year there.

commdog7
02-20-09, 07:44 AM
We got make our wish list when I was in mos school. Almost half the class requested overseas. Turns out our requests didn't matter at all: no one got overseas, the first 6 alphabetically names got West coast, and the rest got East coast. I don't even know why they wasted their time in getting our hopes up.

Achped
02-20-09, 10:52 AM
You make me sick! :sick:

A male Marine obsessed with women makes you sick, Sgt? I could be chasing men....speaking of that, where is PaidinBlood? :cool:

commdog7
02-20-09, 11:26 AM
A male Marine obsessed with women makes you sick, Sgt? I could be chasing men....speaking of that, where is PaidinBlood? :cool:

Keep it in your pants! The 'make love not war' days are over, thank God. Now go kill a terrorist!

KawiGunny
02-20-09, 11:57 AM
The 'make love and war' days are here, thank God. Now go kill a terrorist!

Fixed it for you commdog. :D

Chumley
02-20-09, 12:14 PM
Hindsight being 20/20, I'd stay in and go everywhere I could. As a civilian, what's it cost to go spend a year in Oki? When's the next time you can shoot over to the Middle East? Where is Guam anyway? Take on Embassy Duty and the rest of the world comes into play. Maybe a Med float? My advice is look for the opportunities that a military life has. Yeah, yeah, you may have to dodge a few rounds here and there and have your skivies stamped with your name and skid-free, but if I could do it all over again, I would have: been an 03 (at least my first tour), stayed in for at least 20, stayed single for the first 10 years, and looked forward to new assignments. I didn't know how good I had it until I proved my Senior DI right. He said when you get back on the block, all your boys will still be sitting around, same ol' same ol'. Yep - right where I left 'em.
There is generally a lot of negativity about new duty stations, or going back to ones you left behind. It can be as negative or positive an experience as you want it to be. I met so many who really hated being stationed in Hawaii for 3 years. My 2 cents.
Good luck!
C

SGT7477
02-20-09, 05:28 PM

Where were all the WMs when I was there or was I too busy looking at the other side?:evilgrin:

SGT7477
02-20-09, 05:30 PM
That's a good one Marine,lmfao.:D

fallfast90
02-20-09, 06:20 PM
I definitely recommend going overseas first. I had a great time when i was stationed over in Oki (CP Hansen). I did get over there and within about 2 months of being over there they finally lifted a stop loss/stop move and our unit dropped by 1/2. We were stuck on running guard for pretty much 8+ months, but all in all it was fun. If you do go over there, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! You make quite a bit more over there compared stateside. I was shocked at how much less i made when i left island and went to Quantico.

wolf0259
02-23-09, 10:40 PM
Great info. Much appreciated Marines.

thewookie
02-24-09, 06:18 AM
I joined the Marine Corps to see the World not the States.

I agree 100% - I thought the same thing.

I started off with a three-year contract, and when they asked, I requested overseas. I got Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Three months after I arrived in Hawaii we rotated (the first time) to Okinawa for 6 months, (3 of those six-months I was STUCK in the Phillipenes;( :banana:

Great thought to start my day off with.........:yes:

JWDevilDog
02-25-09, 12:27 AM
Okinawa is the largest overseas Marine Corps installation. If you get overseas, you will more than likely be in Okinawa somewhere.

Second, getting stationed overseas is not a deployment. It is a duty station. A deployment is going out of garrison, on a mission. It can be Thailand (where I am currently typing this from), Korea, Afghanistan, the Phillipenes, or any country that is not considered a permanent duty station (regardless of if we are at war with the country or not).

If you do get to go to Okinawa, the deployments are incredible. As I said I am currently in Thailand. A trip to Korea just left from Okinawa. When I get back to Oki, there is a trip to the Phillipenes, and this summer brings Australia. Plus more countries, plus the opportunity for humanitarian missions at every turn. That, and the 31st MEU is here, so you might get to go to dozens of more countries, even if only for a few days each.

There's my two cents.

Marine84
02-25-09, 07:45 AM
Not ALLLLL WM's go to Oki - I got sent to Iwakuni. Let's just say I had a BLAST while I was there!

PaidinBlood
02-25-09, 08:16 AM
A male Marine obsessed with women makes you sick, Sgt? I could be chasing men....speaking of that, where is PaidinBlood?

aw hell a week late and a paycheck short...missed it. maybe next time, Brasso... :D