PDA

View Full Version : Recruit training *Water*

Laatcommander
02-18-09, 11:25 PM
I'm considering enlisting in the USMC, and I'm curious as to what you must be able to do in USMC boot camp in the pool.

Reason I ask is I was never taught to swim, so I can stay afloat for the must part, but outside of doggy-paddling I'm horrid at swimming.

Thanks

commdog7
02-18-09, 11:36 PM
I suggest you start taking some swimming lessons and learn how to swim underwater. Almost every platoon has recruits who have never swam in their life. The instructors work with you for a few days, but if you cannot master the basics, you will not graduate.

Laatcommander
02-18-09, 11:45 PM
I suggest you start taking some swimming lessons and learn how to swim underwater. Almost every platoon has recruits who have never swam in their life. The instructors work with you for a few days, but if you cannot master the basics, you will not graduate.

Thank you for your reply Sergeant

So since I currently have must of the "Basics" of swimming I could go ahead and work with the Instructors to improve on what "Little" I already know? Then I should in "theory" be able to graduate.

Scottie0417
02-19-09, 12:39 AM
The swimming you'll do in boot camp is all survival swimming so you don't have to worry about being the next Michael Phelps. You'll need to be able to treat water for four minutes I believe. There's really no swimming methods involved there it's just staying afloat. When you have to swim it'll be doggy paddling, side stroke, or on your back. There are swimming instructors there that will work with you. I don't think my company dropped anyone during swim qual and we had almost 400 recruits. Just practice treading water staying afloat and don't freak out in the water...you should be fine.

srinaldo86
02-19-09, 08:28 AM
Swim qual-4 is easy, and so long as you pass that you can graduate. Its minimal swimming... The 4 minute treading water is different than what you think. They teach you how to inflate your blouse to stay afloat and (if) you can keep it inflated the whole 4 minutes you're good to go; If not then you have to start paddling. Dont stress it to much, they'll take all the "Iron Ducks" in early to give them more time to prepare for the test.

Swim qual 3 sucks however if your pack has a leak, if not then its not really swimming its just floating.

giveen
02-19-09, 08:38 AM
I nearly got kicked out of boot camp during swim week.

I'm allergic to chlorine. I informed my DI's of this and they were going to get me some benedryl from sick bay so that I can go through.

The swim instructors though I was lying, and that I couldnt swim, and I was making up excuses.

Long story short, my Senior stood up for me, I got my med's, jumped in the pool and got my 4th qual.

UsmcMotorT
02-19-09, 11:28 AM
I sucked at swimming too. I had to take swim lessons before bootcamp because I couldnt swim and I was terrified of jumping off the high platform.

But at bootcamp you dont have time to be terrified cause they just push you off anyway :D

Scottie0417
02-19-09, 01:31 PM
I sucked at swimming too. I had to take swim lessons before bootcamp because I couldnt swim and I was terrified of jumping off the high platform.

But at bootcamp you dont have time to be terrified cause they just push you off anyway :D

Out of almost 400, we had one that absolutely could not jump off the high platform. The entire first day, he stood up there and could not gather the courage to do it. The second day he tried it again, pussed out, and the instructor pushed him in. :marine:

odc25
03-22-09, 06:53 PM
Ive had to push a few people in lol im a mciws and i love it .. id re-enlist to b a MCITWS