PDA

View Full Version : Interested

TWinter
02-18-09, 08:32 PM
I am sorry for the brevity, but I have lost two new threads due to my lack of computer skills, so I will be brief.

I am aware of this thread:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79246

Please check my profile for additional information, or PM me!

I have been accepted to USNA but I am very interested in pursuing an enlisted period of service prior to serving as an officer. It is important to learn how to follow before you lead, as they say.

1. MECEP: Can you choose your college or is their a perscribed list? I have used alot of google but failed so far at finding this information.

2. Anyone who has been through the MECEP program/applied for it/knows about it, make yourselves known, if you please! I would love to PM you with additional information and questions, so as not to clutter up the boards.

Again, sorry for what my come across as a sparse OP, but I lost 2 big ones to the internets :)

Thanks,
TC Winter

rvillac2
02-18-09, 11:08 PM
If you've been accepted to USNA, you would be an absolute fool to enlist.
The Academy has put out fine leaders for centuries that have never been enlisted.
Don't worry about getting experience "following." You won't get to lead squat until you've earned that right in school.

KawiGunny
02-19-09, 07:17 AM
I think the big question here is....If you pass up the Academy now, will you be able to get in later? If you are 100% possitive that you will be able to get in later then I recommend going enlisted for a few years then slide over to the darkside. Some of the best officers I have ever served with/for were mustangs. Don't get me wrong, I have had the honor of serving with (and later under) people like LtCol Alford who was never enlisted. He was a wild 2ndLt when we first met who went on to win the Leftwich (spelling) Award and two bronze stars.

You have a difficult decission to make but always keep in mind that some of the greatest leaders in the Coprs came from there and was never enlisted.

CH53MetalMan
02-19-09, 07:35 AM
If you've been accepted to USNA, you would be an absolute fool to enlist.
The Academy has put out fine leaders for centuries that have never been enlisted.
Don't worry about getting experience "following." You won't get to lead squat until you've earned that right in school.

I'll second that!

sparkie
02-19-09, 07:41 AM
Third here. Is it motovation that you would put it off,,,or just maybe a little fear? No offence, but analize yourself, 'cause I just can't see passin that up, ever.

TWinter
02-19-09, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone, for the answers. I'm glad to hear that graduates from the Academy have proven themselves as capable.

I really wanted the opinion of Marines before I made this decision, so I thank all of you who replied (and those who read and figured their answer was already there).

To clarify (and I forgot to mention it, my apologies): I was accepted into the USNA, but due to reasons at home (nothing that would effect enlisting/commisioning) I no longer have funding for my final semester of school. I am for sure going to finish out my senior year at perhaps public school, and I'm currently talking to the administration to see if I can work something out, so this might all be unnecessary. I am pursuing an IB education (think AP exams etc) but if I go to public school I won't have that option and therefore will not graduate with the credits the Academy thought I would and therefore be denied entrance.

Because of that, I'm interested in MECEP and other enlisted commisioning programs. I only mentioned that I got into the Academy so it could be clear that I have the potentional to be both accepted into the Military and College, but as of right now (with talks with Administration progressing painfully slow) I do not think that will be a possibility.

Then again, because of your answers I will re-double my efforts to finish out the year satisfactorily! The Academy has been a goal of mine for a long time, and I hope that this will work out.

Thanks again Marines, I appreciate all this help.

sparkie
02-19-09, 01:32 PM
One thing us enlisted learn quick,,,, If you want something, you gotta fight for it. Good luck.

rvillac2
02-19-09, 01:58 PM
If I'm reading you correctly, you're going to a private high school (requiring tuition) for this last semester. You've already been accepted to the Fall 09 class?

You need to seriously negotiate with your private school and ask them to forgive your tuition or put you on scholarship for that last semester. Maybe even get them to loan it to you. This has the makings of a serious PR nightmare for them. Do whatever it takes to get into the USNA with your current appointment.

TWinter
02-19-09, 03:05 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I ensure you I will fight for the priviledge to attend the Academy. I don't know if any of you would be interested to hear how it ends up, but if so let me know. I'd be happy to let you guys know if I'll be a plebe come July 1st!