PDA

View Full Version : Life after basic.

cubemaniac
02-18-09, 06:20 PM
I'm shipping out for boot camp March 23. After boot camp I'm going to request to be stationed at Camp Lejeune. My MOS is motor transport driver.

While living on base what is it like. Am I allowed to leave base after that day's training and visit with anyone? I have a girlfriend that wants to follow me out here that's why I'm asking. We were thinking that we could get her an apartment near the base and I'd be able to see her somewhat often. Maybe not though, maybe I'm ill-informed.

GySgtRet
02-18-09, 06:38 PM
provide the correct and complete information that you will start earning the due respect that you deserve and we want to convey. Otherwise you probably won't get any or very few replies.

Gunny out
:usmc:

davblay
02-18-09, 06:41 PM
YOU WANT ANSWERS? FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

lthunder
02-18-09, 09:59 PM
I'm shipping out for boot camp March 23. After boot camp I'm going to request to be stationed at Camp Lejeune. My MOS is motor transport driver.

While living on base what is it like. Am I allowed to leave base after that day's training and visit with anyone? I have a girlfriend that wants to follow me out here that's why I'm asking. We were thinking that we could get her an apartment near the base and I'd be able to see her somewhat often. Maybe not though, maybe I'm ill-informed.

I'll dare to anser your question. Its awesome. Get out of our way, and we'll get out of yours... I love Camp LeJuenue.... Spell it right.

commdog7
02-18-09, 10:48 PM
I hate it when civilians call Marine Corps recruit training 'basic'! This ain't the Army, there is nothing 'basic' about the Marines. Call it boot camp or recruit training, but never call it 'basic'.

Achped
02-18-09, 10:52 PM
Wow, it amazes me that people will join the Marine Corps and not even know what fleet life is like.

And why on God's green earth anyone would REQUEST to be stationed at Lejeune is beyond me...

Scottie0417
02-19-09, 12:49 AM
I'll dare to anser your question. Its awesome. Get out of our way, and we'll get out of yours... I love Camp LeJuenue.... Spell it right.

Umm...he did spell Lejeune right, you didn't

cubemaniac
02-19-09, 11:27 AM
Well I'm going to chose to be stationed at Camp Lejeune because its a lot closer to my hometown so when I get some leave I could chose to drive home instead of buying a plane ticket. And sorry i didn't know there was a difference between calling it basic and boot camp...I won't make that mistake again.

spotts
02-19-09, 11:29 AM
You really dont get a choice as to where you are stationed. The Marine Corps will place you where they need you....

0231Marine
02-19-09, 11:34 AM
Keep in mind that when you go to pick your duty station, there may not be any slots open for Lejeune. Needs of the Marine Corps dictate where you'll end up, not needs of cubemaniac.

UsmcMotorT
02-19-09, 11:34 AM
If you're a 3531 you're a Motor Vehicle Operator. Camp Lejeune blows, no offense. Some people like it, I don't. I was stationed in Pendleton and I would suggest that.

But anyways, the fleet is like a job. Once your day is over you can do whatever you want.

giveen
02-19-09, 11:38 AM
Yeah its kinda like a job.
My days started at 5am, PT (everday for me), go to the barracks, take a shower, be at the shop by 7am. Work till 4pm. Go eat chow, and then the evening was mine.

Sometimes I had to work late because a major issue came up, but my Sgt's were cool and let me go early the next day for compensation. They are just being nice, they dont have to do that.

cubemaniac
02-19-09, 12:58 PM
Hmm.. my cousin a Sgt. in the Corps said they would let you chose in boot camp.

giveen
02-19-09, 01:00 PM
I've never heard of anything like that.

you sure he wasn't joking with you?

Quinbo
02-19-09, 01:08 PM
Yea you can arrange for conjugal visits while you are stationed in hell. The question is why would you want to.

KawiGunny
02-19-09, 01:11 PM

They might let you choose left coast or east coast. I have heard of this on a few occaisions.

giveen
02-19-09, 01:12 PM
They might let you choose left coast or east coast. I have heard of this on a few occaisions.
Left coast, Gunny?:D

Achped
02-19-09, 01:22 PM
California is definitely the left coast.

giveen
02-19-09, 01:24 PM
California is definitely the left coast.
LOL, okay, now that you said that, I kinda get what Gunny was saying.

I thought he just had a slip of tongue, but now I get the joke.

KawiGunny
02-19-09, 01:35 PM
LOL, okay, now that you said that, I kinda get what Gunny was saying.

I thought he just had a slip of tongue, but now I get the joke.

I ain't that old......yet.

Rocky C
02-19-09, 03:27 PM
I ain't that old......yet.

LMAO as the tears role down my cheeks.
Gunny my friend, you are too funny!!!!

Semper Fi,
Rocky

JoeInVille
02-19-09, 03:35 PM
Well I'm going to chose to be stationed at Camp Lejeune because its a lot closer to my hometown so when I get some leave I could chose to drive home instead of buying a plane ticket. And sorry i didn't know there was a difference between calling it basic and boot camp...I won't make that mistake again.

LOL ok...thats what I thought and im in Hawaii.

Mindgame
02-22-09, 11:57 AM
How about another situiation you seem to be overlooking? I don't know why anyone on this earth would wan't to bring there girlfriend around Marines? Even if you are a Marine. HAHA I guess Ive just heard to many stories.

Marine84
02-22-09, 01:21 PM
Couldn't tell you what life is like after basic - never served in any other branch of service. Life after boot camp is pretty much like a regular job......................................except when the Unit CO rolls over in the middle of the night, tells his wife to give him some PT, she says "no" and he's left wide awake with nothing to do except torture the lower enlisted that live in the barracks by calling them up and seeing how fast they can get to their Shops. You won't have time for a shower and/or your normal SSS'ing routine. You have just enough time to throw on your uniform, grab your toothbrush, slap some toothpaste on it to take with you and move your a$$ to your post!

Ahhhhhhh...............................good times!

JWDevilDog
02-25-09, 09:25 PM
In my MOS school we were all given a choice between "Left" coast, East coast, and overseas. This doesn't mean we were guaranteed to get our choice. It was still based on the needs of the Marine Corps.

However, my MOS is extremely small, so somehow everyone in my class of 30 got their preference (except two Marines, who were forced to stay behind at Camp Johnson because they were on medical hold).

Motor T is a very large MOS. If I am correct it is the second largest MOS in the Marine Corps. That basically means you have no say in the matter where you are stationed.

In terms of bringing your girlfriend around Marines. I definitely don't recommend it. In a certain town which shall remain nameless, almost every stripper at all three strip clubs is the wife of a Marine who is deployed... *coughcough* Not that I indulged, of course...

Achped
02-25-09, 09:43 PM
All you have to say is Jacksonville man...

JWDevilDog
02-25-09, 09:50 PM
All you have to say is Jacksonville man...

Roger that, Cpl. I knew most Marines would pick up on it (the Camp Johnson hint as well as the fact that Jacksonville is notorious).

lthunder
03-07-09, 02:27 AM
I hate it when civilians call Marine Corps recruit training 'basic'! This ain't the Army, there is nothing 'basic' about the Marines. Call it boot camp or recruit training, but never call it 'basic'.

I'll agree with basic b/c some of the people in there ARE BASIC!

Covey_Rider
03-07-09, 09:26 AM
Thunder...who are you and what are your credentials???

0231Marine
03-07-09, 10:50 AM

The idiot speaks again!

commdog7
03-07-09, 01:07 PM

That does make any sense, are you drunk or something?! Ok, so I should refer to recruit training as basic training... because why? When/if they graduate, they will not be a 'basic' Marine, they will be a Marine. There is nothing basic about who we are or what we do.

davblay
03-07-09, 06:35 PM
There's nothing more deadly than a Marine fresh out of Boot Camp! Hell give me a platoon of them and 3 months and I will kick some terrorist butt! New Marines don't ask "WHY" when you give them an order, they just "DO IT", and without attitude as they haven't been exposed to it yet! :evilgrin:

That ain't Basic.......that's deadly! :marine:

Semper Fi,

Dave

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-09, 06:01 AM

All:

IThunder is quite llikely a despicable poser. Disregard anything written or stated.

To begin with, you have an incomplete profile. Until you complete same, you will get no further response (nor should you) from anyone on this site, effective now. And, until you explain yourself, fully, to a moderator, expect to hear black helicopters coming to extract your butt from this site and be eliminated from cluttering up our area.

Unless and until I hear otherwise, I will be posting this response after every single thing you put here as a warning to other Marines, Marine friends, and poolees. Suggest you unfrack yourself ASAP.

Artemis
03-10-09, 10:29 AM
Love it Sgt Lep, you just made my morning a little brighter.

mincj
03-14-09, 07:59 PM
Can't be worse than 29 Palms.