PDA

View Full Version : Reflections of a marine veteran: from toe touches to hand grenades

thedrifter
02-18-09, 03:06 PM
Reflections of a marine veteran: from toe touches to hand grenades
Sofia Nava discusses her transition from military service to FC.
By: Melissa Alvarado
Posted: 2/18/09

After high school, the average teenager goes directly to a university, community college or work. At that age, the world is still new and there are still many things to discover. Imagine, instead of doing the
norm, signing up for the U.S. Marine Corps and being sent to Iraq to fight within months.

Sofia Nava, 25, served four years in the Marines after high school. After boot camp, Nava got the call that would change her view of the world as she knew it. She
landed in Kuwait the day the U.S. officially declared war on Iraq, March 18, 2002.

The decision to enlist in the Marines was not an expected move for the Anaheim High School alumna. In high school, she was a cheerleader and involved in various clubs
on campus.

"I did it to prove to others, and myself, that I could do it, because people said I couldn't," Nava said. "I'm not what they see as the 'typical marine,' but there is no such thing as a typical marine"

Nava explained that going to Iraq was a scary experience. On the 18-hour flight, she cried the entire way. She was sent as a casualty replacement, meaning, replacing
people who have passed way.

Although it was scary at first, Nava found that she could find some comic relief during the two months in Iraq.

She was on, what higher ranked marines called, 'burning duty.' This task involved burning the feces in their self-made restrooms. She explained that it was an
unpleasant but funny memory that she will always have.

"The whole experience made me value not only my family and friends, but also running water," Nava said.

Serving in the Marine Corps taught Nava self-discipline. The experience also allowed her to see a world outside Orange County.

"I saw a country that was totally opposite of the U.S.," Nava said. "The OC is all I've ever known."

After her four-year tour was over, Nava chose to not pursue another tour; she instead decided that she wanted to go to school full time, which is how she ended
up at Fullerton College.

Nava is a member of many different clubs and groups on campus. She is captain of the Cheerleading Squad, an active member of Latina Leadership, the treasurer of
MEChA and the president of the veteran's club.

She will take part in the commencement ceremony in May.

Ellie