PDA

View Full Version : Some alumni call hazing investigation attempt to dismantle Corps

thedrifter
06-24-03, 09:56 AM
Some alumni call hazing investigation attempt to dismantle Corps
June 22, 2003

HOUSTON- Some Texas A&M alumni fear an investigation into hazing allegations against 77 Corps of Cadets members kicked off the squad last year is an attempt to dismantle the organization, which has been part of the school since 1876.

Late last year, the school's mounted cavalry, part of the Corps, was suspended while police investigated a number of hazing allegations, including that cadet members had beat other cavalry members, urinated on them and doused them with water and horse feces.

Hazing, which includes verbal or physical abuse, is illegal.

Pat Murphy, a Dallas businessman and A&M graduate, told the Houston Chronicle in Sunday's editions that he attempted to assist some of the cadet members. He said A&M administrators have been aware for decades that cadets have swatted underclassmen with the handle of an ax, according to the newspaper.

"Sure, they had to put a stop to some of this stuff, but nobody was injured, nobody was complaining and they didn't have to ruin the futures of a bunch of good kids," Murphy told the Chronicle. "And, as for not knowing about it in the first place, I was in the Corps myself and I know they had to be aware of it."

Administrators at Texas A&M declined comment to the newspaper. A university spokesman could not be reached Sunday by The Associated Press.

"A&M has always been steeped in tradition," John A. Adams, a historian and 1973 A&M graduate who has written a number of books about the school's history, told the newspaper. "Most of it was military and there's always been some hazing, but it was certainly not a secret."

In 1973, the Parson Mounted Cavalry was formed to re-ignite the legacy of A&Ms horse-drawn artillery program. The program had died out after World War II.

The cavalry previously was disbanded in 1991 when a woman cadet claimed she was attacked by other members. The cavalry was reinstated when she later recanted her story.

Brandon Baade, an attorney for one of the six juniors who was accused of hazing and has since sued the school, said the university has suddenly started punishing something it had previously privately condoned.

"It appears to me that this is part of some plan to emasculate the Corps at A&M, and these kids are suffering because of it," Baade said.

http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/nw_state/article/0,1874,ABIL_7974_2059272,00.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Frank
06-24-03, 04:21 PM
Freakin' Aggies. The Corps of Cadets is a shell of its former self. I judged (as a Sgt with the Austin Officer Selection Office) a drill team competition at A&M in 1969, and none of the college drill teams from throughout the Southwest were even close to the Aggie Frosh Drill Team. They were a sight to behold.

Semper Fidelis,

Frank