PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps..... and BRACES?

Tolerance
02-18-09, 12:40 AM
Hello, Marines!

In a nut shell, my braces were removed about a year ago. A couple months ago my Orthodontist realized that my teeth were shifting, particularly my molars (giant issue. my teeth were mangled as a child!) and he wanted to put them back on (which I didn't mind).

BUT, because I saw no sense in putting them on just to take them off for Bootcamp a couple months later..... I said I'll wait until after Bootcamp/training.

Now I'm wondering... are there any policies on braces in the military / Marine Corps? I just want to make sure.

Thanks you!

0231Marine
02-18-09, 07:17 AM
I'm not certain, but I believe braces are a negative. They require to much
maintenance and will make you non-deployable which is also a big negative. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding invisiline or something like that but I'm almost certain that you can't go to bootcamp with braces.

RYDERKUR
02-18-09, 07:28 AM
I had braces on my lower teeth when I went through SOI/ITB and for about 8 months in the Fleet. I needed them for when I mangled my mouth after falling off a balcony...I'll leave the reason for falling to the imagination. They were never a problem except like you say, Cpl, they make you a class 4 Dental which I think is non/deployable, but if need be, just take them off again. You can't have them during boot though for sure. Oh, actually they were a problem in ITB, my dip always got caught in them and got me biatched at. Haha.

DocGreek
02-18-09, 07:55 AM
MARINES.....the GREAT thing about this thread, is....the young "future" Marines have to be thoroughly examined..."nose to toes", by SQUIDS!!!! Do you REAL MARINES, remember the first few weeks of fun, with the DOC'S??? HA! HA! HA! HA!.....DOC

SGT7477
02-18-09, 08:42 AM
Oh ya DOC we never forget,lmfao.

DIBLO7
02-18-09, 06:27 PM
If your in a unit where you're not going to deploy braces should be fine. However, if your getting them for anything other than because your grill is so jacked up you can't do your job, you'll have to pay for them yourself.

Sgt Jim
02-18-09, 09:19 PM
Thanks Doc

lthunder
02-18-09, 09:55 PM
Hello, Marines!

In a nut shell, my braces were removed about a year ago. A couple months ago my Orthodontist realized that my teeth were shifting, particularly my molars (giant issue. my teeth were mangled as a child!) and he wanted to put them back on (which I didn't mind).

BUT, because I saw no sense in putting them on just to take them off for Bootcamp a couple months later..... I said I'll wait until after Bootcamp/training.

Now I'm wondering... are there any policies on braces in the military / Marine Corps? I just want to make sure.

Thanks you!

Listen up you wann be... You get those braces and you get them good. If they do no good to the Corps, you don't get them. Fight...

Tolerance
02-18-09, 11:17 PM
If your in a unit where you're not going to deploy braces should be fine. However, if your getting them for anything other than because your grill is so jacked up you can't do your job, you'll have to pay for them yourself.

the Orthodontist actually knows that they went crooked because of a mistake he made, so I'm getting them slapped on (for the 4th TIME!) for free :D

DIBLO7
02-18-09, 11:24 PM
That great that the orthodontist will do them for free; however, the logistics might be a bit crazy since I don't know of any Marine base near Ft. Lauderdale...

UsmcMotorT
02-19-09, 11:35 AM
How about a retainer?

Tolerance
02-19-09, 10:10 PM
That great that the orthodontist will do them for free; however, the logistics might be a bit crazy since I don't know of any Marine base near Ft. Lauderdale...

lol true I didnt even think about the tightening of them, the check ups, etc. I will think of something though. Hell.. might even have to pay an extra orthodontics office in the area I'll be at to give me the checkups, i dont mind.

Tolerance
02-19-09, 10:14 PM
How about a retainer?

long story short, Sgt.... I've had braces on/off three times.

-1st time off, teeth went crooked (because of a molar issue). slapped them back on

-2nd time off, teeth went crooked because metal retainer didnt work well enough. I told the Orthodontist that I didn't mind if I had a PERMANENT retainer; my teeth are stubborn. so, he slaps them back on!

-3rd time off, I get the invisible retainer (keeps ALL your teeth in place, unlike the metal one) and a bottom permanent one.

I told him to add a permanent top one, because i know my teeth are going to shift. what happened 6 months down the road?................ you guess :mad:

so I went back, he said he's seen patients like this before and he doesnt mind putting them back on for free... a 4th TIME :scared:

FFSteve
02-20-09, 10:27 AM
as far as paying them i cant offer any advice. but i can tell you that you can get braces no matter what unit your in, but if your in a deploying unit they might not let you or you can non deploy. i know some marines you even had them put on and took them off before they deployed and when the came back put them on again. its up to what your nco's suggest and what your unit allows you to do.