PDA

View Full Version : From AF to Marine: Enlisted or Officer

AF2Marine
02-17-09, 02:42 PM
I'm currently serving my first term in the Air Force, I've been in 4 years and I still have 3 years left on my extension. I've made the decision that the AF is not for me and I have full intentions on becoming a Marine as soon as I can. My biggest concern is whether to go Enlisted or Officer... I just made E-5, and I was told I'd be reduced to E-2 for Basic Training (not a big problem since I don't do it for the money)- but I do have a family(wife+3kids) to support

Anyone know anything about crossing over? Also is there a huge difference in the Enlisted and Officer Corps. Not to bash but from what I've seen, as respectfully as possible, the AF Enlisted (mostly Junior) are disrespectful, undisciplined, untrained spoiled brats and in the Officer side I've seen no camaraderie or regard for anything but their own careers'. Is it pretty much the same in the Marines or can I look forward to genuine people who are willing to serve their Country and the man/woman next to them at all cost, without worrying about whats in it for themselves?

yellowwing
02-17-09, 02:58 PM
The Marine Corps is very small compared to our Sister Branches of the Armed Services. We run a tight ship and Leadership and Discipline are paramount. Finish college and find an OSO.

AF2Marine
02-17-09, 04:27 PM
Yes, Sir, but as an Officer do I get the privilege of fighting alongside my Marines? Or would just make the order to execute plans...

Zulu 36
02-17-09, 04:34 PM
Yes, Sir, but as an Officer do I get the privilege of fighting alongside my Marines? Or would just make the order to execute plans...

It depends on your MOS. If you're an infantry officer, then you certainly would as a platoon commander or company commander. As you rise in rank, your "trigger time" will go down as you would have duties other than doing the shooting.

What do you do at Ramstein? My oldest daughter is deployed there at the CASF.

AF2Marine
02-17-09, 04:51 PM
That's what I'm trying to decipher.. the MOS's. I'm in Combat Comm. a ground radio technician. So I know radios and from what I read a Comm Officer would be perfect but how much do they deploy compared to an Infantry Officer? I just got here in Nov. What's your daughter's name? Is she AF or Army?

rvillac2
02-17-09, 04:56 PM
reduced to E-2? Air Force E-5 to Marine PFC is a promotion.

Ok, this part is not meant to be too disparaging, but enlisted AF is as far away from the military life as one can get while still being in the military. Because most of your jobs are technical (and in the rear), your workplaces and lifestyles are utterly civilian in nature. Thus, you never really shed the whiny and privileged civilian attitudes.

Marines (many soldiers and sailors, too) share a lot of misery in their lifestyles. While there is no shortage of griping in the Corps, it's not usually about the cable TV going out in the dorms. I won't take too many sentences to try and explain it. You wouldn't get it until you joined, anyway.

AF2Marine
02-17-09, 05:00 PM
Understood.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-17-09, 06:21 PM
As a Marine radio guy, I can ensure you that you would be deploying as a Marine comm officer. In comm units the platoon commanders and company commanders are along side their Marines on a constant basis.

That said, knowing radios is different than being a comm officer. Our officers didn't actually know how to turn on at least one radio I operated (TRC-170), much less actually work the thing. They worry about theory and the "big picture" not the actual operations of the gear.

FromMD
02-17-09, 07:19 PM
Everyone one of us here at The Basic School has been told we will probably be deployed within a year of finishing up here. Even the Comm and Adj folk. A lot of our staff are what most would considered "in the rear" or POG MOSs, but they have been deployed. Often they are working to train the security forces/army or being a rifle platoon commander...

AF2Marine
02-18-09, 11:27 AM
My big Cousin is a Marine, He told make that if I wanted to be in the field and CQB let my recruiter know I didnt want anything POGGISH. What MOS would fall under the non POG status for Officers?

NoRemorse
02-18-09, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't a wife and 3 children be too many dependents?

0231Marine
02-18-09, 11:38 AM
Pretty much anything but infantry or combat engineers is Poggish as you put it.

Isrowei
02-18-09, 11:40 AM
POG = Person other than Grunt.

Which by the way, makes up probably 85% of the Corps. If you think being a POG is a bad thing... you best stay in the Air Force.

Also, you have NO guarantee of any job as an officer. You have preferences, but you best be sure to be happy with just being a Marine Officer. If that's not your cup of tea, consider... Wal-Mart.

giveen
02-18-09, 11:47 AM
Nothing is wrong with being a POG.

The Marine Corps centers itself on the grunts.

I see my job as data nuthead, ensuring that parts get order, so that planes can fly, so that bombs can be dropped to protect the grunt.

thewookie
02-18-09, 11:55 AM
reduced to E-2? Air Force E-5 to Marine PFC is a promotion.

Exactly :evilgrin:

AF2Marine
02-18-09, 11:57 AM
POG = Person other than Grunt.

Which by the way, makes up probably 85% of the Corps. If you think being a POG is a bad thing... you best stay in the Air Force.

Also, you have NO guarantee of any job as an officer. You have preferences, but you best be sure to be happy with just being a Marine Officer. If that's not your cup of tea, consider... Wal-Mart.
Negative, Sir. I meant no disrespect, I just want to be in the field. Thats where I feel I can do my part for my Country. Honestly I think any job as a Marine would be a honor and I would get the home that the AF can't provide for me. And working at Wal-Mart, I'd just be working for myself, (just like the AF), I'm a PROUD American and I want to work for my Country!

Isrowei
02-18-09, 12:02 PM
Nothing is wrong with being a POG.

The Marine Corps centers itself on the grunts.

I see my job as data nuthead, ensuring that parts get order, so that planes can fly, so that bombs can be dropped to protect the grunt.

Actually, I disagree.

Grunts centers themselves on grunts.

The Marine Corps centers itself on the MAGTF. Infantry is only one small part of that concept.

The ego-stroking over who is the best is a tired discussion that only impresses those who have already drunk their own kool-aid to excess. The Marine Corps as a whole figured out a long time ago that there are no prima donnas in this show... we either work together equally or the battle doesn't get won.

Hence... the MAGTF concept was born.

Isrowei
02-18-09, 12:06 PM
Negative, Sir. I meant no disrespect, I just want to be in the field. Thats where I feel I can do my part for my Country. Honestly I think any job as a Marine would be a honor and I would get the home that the AF can't provide for me. And working at Wal-Mart, I'd just be working for myself, (just like the AF), I'm a PROUD American and I want to work for my Country!

I gotcha. It's not your fault this came up again, but it seems to cycle every once in a while.

Seriously though, you need to understand how jobs are assigned as officers. It's not as simple as "signing up" like an enlistment contract. There are plenty of opportunities to get field time if that's what you truly want. But keep in mind, you have a family too. What's your responsibility to them? It's nice to go play once in a while, but in 20 years which will be more important... your career (whatever it may be) or your wife and kids?

Pick a job that provides for all your wants AND your responsibilities. I think you'll find plenty of options around the Corps that will satisfy both.

Good luck.

giveen
02-18-09, 12:12 PM
Actually, I disagree.

The Marine Corps centers itself on the MAGTF. Infantry is only one small part of that concept.

The ego-stroking over who is the best is a tired discussion that only impresses those who have already drunk their own kool-aid to excess. The Marine Corps as a whole figured out a long time ago that there are no prima donnas in this show... we either work together equally or the battle doesn't get won.

Hence... the MAGTF concept was born.
Sorry, Sir. I was perhaps not communicating what I was thinking.
What I really meant is those doing the fighting.

We all do our job so the fighting (whoever may be doing it) can get done.

Isrowei
02-18-09, 12:15 PM
Sorry, Sir. I was perhaps not communicating what I was thinking.
What I really meant is those doing the fighting.

We all do our job so the fighting (whoever may be doing it) can get done.

Roger, I agree.

The Marine Corps is concerned with warfighting.. whoever happens to be on point at the moment. We all play our part in the orchestra to make a symphony of destruction for the enemy.

AF2Marine
02-18-09, 12:21 PM
I gotcha. It's not your fault this came up again, but it seems to cycle every once in a while.

Seriously though, you need to understand how jobs are assigned as officers. It's not as simple as "signing up" like an enlistment contract. There are plenty of opportunities to get field time if that's what you truly want. But keep in mind, you have a family too. What's your responsibility to them? It's nice to go play once in a while, but in 20 years which will be more important... your career (whatever it may be) or your wife and kids?

Pick a job that provides for all your wants AND your responsibilities. I think you'll find plenty of options around the Corps that will satisfy both.

Good luck.
Thank you, Sir.

Well as far as my family sit. (kinda personal but) we're divorcing soon and my kids... Right now I believe my oldest son understands as well as the others will about my decision, and I pray that they'll be proud to have a father thats willing to die as a Marine or live as a Marine for them and our Country. I deployed twice in my first 3 years in the AF and each time my son proudly told people- "My Daddy is fighting bad guys in the desert for me and I will too!" I'm raising my kids to be just as proud as I am and to stand up against wrong doers and help others even at the sacrifice of their own personal gains. Only time will tell if anything we do is the right choice, but you can't live in fear of making mistakes, cause then you not really living.

SGT7477
02-18-09, 01:12 PM
Actually, I disagree.

Hence... the MAGTF concept was born. The Grunts have always been the backbone of the Marine Corps.:flag:

Isrowei
02-18-09, 01:38 PM
The Grunts have always been the backbone of the Marine Corps.:flag:

Really?

I guess Napoleon had it wrong then.

Look past the jargon and the self-serving praise. I think you'll find a much different honest answer there.

thewookie
02-18-09, 01:40 PM
Really?

Look past the jargon and the self-serving praise. I think you'll find a much different honest answer there.

Napolean was a grunt - ;)

Isrowei
02-18-09, 01:49 PM

He sure was. But what did he call his center of gravity...? (our terminology... but you can get the point)

:nerd:

SGT7477
02-18-09, 01:58 PM
Really?

Don't tell me my DI's were wrong as highly decorated Nam vets but I guess it never did effect me anyway I was a 0811.:D

KawiGunny
02-18-09, 02:05 PM
Roger, I agree.

The Marine Corps is concerned with warfighting.. whoever happens to be on point at the moment. We all play our part in the orchestra to make a symphony of destruction for the enemy.

The orchestra line was good. Never heard that one before. And yes we grunts have always thought of ourselves as be the main focus. Everyone else in the Corps was here to support us as we went from door to door. But the times have changed drasticly over the past several years. Your comment above "whoever happens to be on point at the moment" is the way we are fighting today. There are plenty of provisional rifle platoons/companies in the fight right now and will be for years to come. Even the convoys aren't totally supported by grunts for security any more. And thats a good thing. Gives everyone a chance to show what they are made of instead of the grunts. As a grunt for over 20 yrs, I am extremely pleased to see what our young men/women from all MOS's are doing to support the fight.

Zulu 36
02-18-09, 02:10 PM

Actually, Napoleon was an artillery officer in his pre-Emperor service. That is one reason his army was so artillery heavy as compared to other nations' armies.

SGT7477
02-18-09, 02:15 PM
The orchestra line was good. Never heard that one before. And yes we grunts have always thought of ourselves as be the main focus. Everyone else in the Corps was here to support us as we went from door to door. But the times have changed drasticly over the past several years. Your comment above "whoever happens to be on point at the moment" is the way we are fighting today. There are plenty of provisional rifle platoons/companies in the fight right now and will be for years to come. Even the convoys aren't totally supported by grunts for security any more. And thats a good thing. Gives everyone a chance to show what they are made of instead of the grunts. As a grunt for over 20 yrs, I am extremely pleased to see what our young men/women from all MOS's are doing to support the fight.Very true Gunny it takes everyone but someone has to be the backbone, it was knocked into our heads starting day one from our DI's but that was way back in 1974, times have changed but a Marine will always be a Marine I have been one since Sept. of 74 and the Grunts will always be our backbone and I myself was a 0811, Semper FI Gunny.:flag:

Isrowei
02-18-09, 02:15 PM
The orchestra line was good. Never heard that one before. And yes we grunts have always thought of ourselves as be the main focus. Everyone else in the Corps was here to support us as we went from door to door. But the times have changed drasticly over the past several years. Your comment above "whoever happens to be on point at the moment" is the way we are fighting today. There are plenty of provisional rifle platoons/companies in the fight right now and will be for years to come. Even the convoys aren't totally supported by grunts for security any more. And thats a good thing. Gives everyone a chance to show what they are made of instead of the grunts. As a grunt for over 20 yrs, I am extremely pleased to see what our young men/women from all MOS's are doing to support the fight.

Amen. Thanks Guns.

Trust me, as a PAO, I love EVERY opportunity I have to brag about the good deeds of ALL the Marines I work with. Grunts, wingers, convoy drivers... They're doing one hell of job. I'd hate to ever think that just because a Marine is not a grunt that he or she would be seen as less of an asset to the overall mission.