PDA

View Full Version : Famous quotes by or about Marines

badbob
06-24-03, 08:57 AM
I think these are my two favorites - what's yours

1. We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? [Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983]

2. They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake." [Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991]

Semper Fi,
Bob

badbob
06-24-03, 12:40 PM
1. Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers & Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat. [RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995]

2. I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warriors past. [Cpl. Jeff Sornij, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994]

badbob
06-24-03, 12:49 PM
If I were King, I'd close Army entry training and send all future Infantry grunts to the Marines.

The Corps still produces trained and disciplined soldiers who know how to make it on a killing field.

--Col David Hackworth, USA (Ret),

ugly_angel362
06-24-03, 01:05 PM
In recent days, two of the male marines that I work with have gotten married and so have quite a few others in my squadron. While my CWO2 was trying to figure it all out (him bieng married himself) said:

"If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a spouse, they would have issued you one."

yellowwing
06-24-03, 01:18 PM
Admiral Nimitz described the sacrifice of the marines: “Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valour was a common virtue.”

Devildogg4ever
06-24-03, 04:11 PM
"Yea though I walk through
the Valley of the Shadow of Death
I fear no evil because I'm the meanest
mother-F----- in the valley".

He who knows others is wise.
He who knows himself is enlightened.
He who conquers others has physical strength.
He who conquers himself is strong.

marinemom
06-24-03, 05:11 PM
" Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

- President Ronald Reagan

" The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. THANK GOD FOR THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS!"

- First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, 1948

Forty years apart and still say the same thing.