PDA

View Full Version : NCO Sword, but not what you think...

Pete0331
02-17-09, 09:36 AM
Why would I be asking about an NCO's sword when I could easily find one through Google?

Well, I don't want some $50 ceremonial back scratcher.

I want a sword.
One similar to what a young Marine NCO would have been issued in 1859.
No dainty gilded plating.
No etching.
No non-edge.

A real sword.
One made for the particular ideal of slaying.

I'm not looking for an original, but replica made to the original specs.

And not a United States Army foot officers’ sword of 1850, there are subtle differences between the two.

Thanks for the help Devils,

Pete

Petz
02-17-09, 09:42 AM
um, the etching and everything has been on there for a very long time.... I'm pretty sure we didn't add it for ceremony, we don't do things like that... we're about tradition, and traditionally made those swords like that.

there is the Marine shop... they have a german and spanish made NCO sword for 4-500 dollars each.... they don't have the crap wobble you see in the issue swords.

giveen
02-17-09, 09:47 AM
Are you looking for an antique sword?
Because 1859 was the first year they were given to NCO's and all the antiques are probably in museums.

Pete0331
02-17-09, 09:52 AM
um, the etching and everything has been on there for a very long time.... I'm pretty sure we didn't add it for ceremony, we don't do things like that... we're about tradition, and traditionally made those swords like that.

there is the Marine shop... they have a german and spanish made NCO sword for 4-500 dollars each.... they don't have the crap wobble you see in the issue swords.

The etching was added after the "War of Northern Aggression" in 1875 or so.

The $400 - $500 replicas are still the ceremonial type, but of higher quality.

Pete0331
02-17-09, 09:56 AM
Are you looking for an antique sword?
Because 1859 was the first year they were given to NCO's and all the antiques are probably in museums.

No, I remember Gunny Ermey was looking for an original.
I'm looking for a reproduction/replica in the original style.

yanacek
02-17-09, 11:20 AM
Here's what I would do. Contact these guys at the link: http://www.ushist.com/wardrobe/q-0501_cw_enlisted_frockcoat-us.htm They offer a very nice reproduction Marine frock coat from the Civil War. If they do not offer a good quality reproduction 1859 pattern sword, I'll bet they will know who you can contact.

VettBass
02-17-09, 12:33 PM
Yeah, if you can find the genuine article, be prepared to pay not only a few hundred, but possibly a few thousand for it.

Also be advised, many State and Federal laws regulate the carrying of a true "Weapons Grade" sword.

As a New Mexico Gunfighter, when in certain period dress, I carry a Union Cavalry Sword. But it is a non-weapons grade replica. (No sharp edge, tho still a potential "pig sticker" anyway.)

The purchase of a true weapons grade sword these days is a very difficult thing to do and quality makers replicate the genuine original to the Nth detail. But...The edge is left un-honed and if you try to hone it yourself, you'll just screw it up.

Etching is an age-old craft practiced by Swordmakers for centuries. The Samurai for instance, is regarded as the highest form of the art.

I very much appreciate your search and desire, but I've been there, done that.

Bottom line is, if you want the real thing, and can get lucky enough to find an original, be prepared to spend major $$$ for it.

Lee

Pete0331
02-17-09, 12:50 PM
Yeah, if you can find the genuine article, be prepared to pay not only a few hundred, but possibly a few thousand for it.

Also be advised, many State and Federal laws regulate the carrying of a true "Weapons Grade" sword.

As a New Mexico Gunfighter, when in certain period dress, I carry a Union Cavalry Sword. But it is a non-weapons grade replica. (No sharp edge, tho still a potential "pig sticker" anyway.)

The purchase of a true weapons grade sword these days is a very difficult thing to do and quality makers replicate the genuine original to the Nth detail. But...The edge is left un-honed and if you try to hone it yourself, you'll just screw it up.

Etching is an age-old craft practiced by Swordmakers for centuries. The Samurai for instance, is regarded as the highest form of the art.

I very much appreciate your search and desire, but I've been there, done that.

Bottom line is, if you want the real thing, and can get lucky enough to find an original, be prepared to spend major $$$ for it.

Lee

Thank you for your posts gentlemen.

All I've been able to find through searches thus far have been the un-honed replica and the originals.

The least I've seen the originals for is around $1,000. Without scabbard or provenance.

yanacek
02-17-09, 01:10 PM
You are about 40 years too late. I've see a few originals at gun shows in the 70's. Can't imagine what the price would run nowadays.