Ellie

To view other MILITARY & PATRIOTIC MOVIE SELECTIONS

http://objflicks.com/

mcvet57103
02-17-09, 08:47 AM
That was awesome Ellie. Thanks SF :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lthunder
02-17-09, 09:01 AM
They forgot to mention the part where he could use an automatic to take out charlie over a click away using only 1 round. SF

SgtThrasher
02-17-09, 09:09 AM
I wish a movie about Gunny Hathcock's career would be produced and actor Garry Sinise comes to mind,they are similar in size and both conservative.His sniper exploits in Vietnam would make for a block buster movie.

mcvet57103
02-17-09, 09:11 AM
I wish a movie about Gunny Hathcock's career would be produced and actor Garry Sinise comes to mind,they are similar in size and both conservative.His sniper exploits in Vietnam would make for a block buster movie.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

thewookie
02-17-09, 10:26 AM
While I was in, and even now with the MCL - I have been fortunate to meet some pretty impressive Marines that did some pretty impressive things; far greater then I could even sniff. But nobody in my book compares to Gunny Hathcock, in all due respect to all Marines. I was lucky to have a year, to year-and-a-half around him on a fairly regular basis and I can still remember and cherish all the conversations that I had with him. With-out doubt, he brought my shooting and platform instruction to another level. During my time on the platform I used to tape all of the formal classes that I gave, and I always taped all of our guest speakers with a mini-8 camera, so I must have something of Gunny on tape. I had a fire years ago, and I lost a lot of those tapes due to fire/smoke/water damage. But I've been thinking,,,I still have a few old video tapes that made it out of the fire and I bet I have one or two of them from when Gunny spoke at graduations for Designated Marksman School. I should get my act together, and when the weather warms get in my basement and find a video of him speaking so I can post something here. As you can imagine - he was a great guest speaker to have.

One notable thing that wasn't destroyed..... I'm pretty sure I have the only Colt AR-15 that Gunny ever put his signature on. He despised the 1st version of the M-16; it malfunctioned/jammed a lot and killed a lot of good people in Vietnam. But that was all I had for him to sign, besides my pistols, because at the time I was around Gunny I didn't have my sniper rifle yet, so all I had for him to sign was my Colt AR. Which he did, reluctantly. RIP Gunny. Semper Fi

6yrforMar
02-17-09, 08:56 PM
That old movie made years ago called sniper used some of Carlo Hathcock's exploits,but did not give him credit for it,I read the book,I think it was called Marine Sniper-93 confirmed kills.I gave it to a former Marine buddy of mine to read.

sadibenz
02-27-09, 11:01 AM
Very nice. If you want to see something really cool !!!!
Go to you tube type Carlos Hathcock. You can see the only known interview with him.
Very rare info. The Gunney never did formal interviews. He woukd talk off the record, But, not to just anyone.

FistFu68
02-27-09, 11:29 AM
:evilgrin: SCUTTLEBUTT WAS HE ACTUALLY BROUGHT BACK THE RIFLE THAT HE PUT A ROUND THROUGH THE SCOPE OF THE COMMIE SNIPER HE BLEW AWAY.AFTER HIS DEATH IT BECAME MISSING I BET IT'S HANGING ON SUM BIGG TIME FORMER MARINE GENERALS WALL??? :confused: :iwo:

mcvet57103
02-27-09, 12:01 PM
:evilgrin: SCUTTLEBUTT WAS HE ACTUALLY BROUGHT BACK THE RIFLE THAT HE PUT A ROUND THROUGH THE SCOPE OF THE COMMIE SNIPER HE BLEW AWAY.AFTER HIS DEATH IT BECAME MISSING I BET IT'S HANGING ON SUM BIGG TIME FORMER MARINE GENERALS WALL??? :confused: :iwo:They tried on mythbusters to recreat the shot into the scope using Jaimy as the shooter. They used a rifle identical to the Gunny's and couldn't make the shot work. They called it busted, but (1) they didn't know the range of the shot. (2) They didn't know the make of scope on the enemy's rifle. (3) and most importantly, It was not Gunny Hathcock taking the shot. I like the program but sometimes they get carried away with how good they actually are. To compare Jaimy"s shooting abilities to the Gunny was ludicrous at best. I believe he made that shot. But only he knows for sure, cause the bad guy wasn't talkin afterwards SF

Zulu 36
02-27-09, 12:07 PM
I had the honor of meeting Gunny Hathcock on several occasions when I was at Camp Lejuene in 1973. A SSgt in my unit (Field Medical Service School) had been on a shooting team with the Gunny. Gunny would come over periodically to visit. At the time, I believe Gunny Hathcock was NCOIC of the range facilities at Stone Bay.

He loved to talk about shooting in general, but I never heard him talk about shooting people. Very laid back person and he knew a bunch of funny jokes.

Zulu 36
02-27-09, 12:15 PM
They tried on mythbusters to recreat the shot into the scope using Jaimy as the shooter. They used a rifle identical to the Gunny's and couldn't make the shot work. They called it busted, but (1) they didn't know the range of the shot. (2) They didn't know the make of scope on the enemy's rifle. (3) and most importantly, It was not Gunny Hathcock taking the shot. I like the program but sometimes they get carried away with how good they actually are. To compare Jaimy"s shooting abilities to the Gunny was ludicrous at best. I believe he made that shot. But only he knows for sure, cause the bad guy wasn't talkin afterwards SF

They did do the myth again, this time using a Moisan-Nagant rifle with the same type of scope used by the NVA (and most Soviet client nations) as the target. They got a lot of viewer flak over using the wrong kind of scope as a target the first time.

The second time through, they duplicated the shot (from probably a closer range, which they admitted) and called it plausible.

Even the Gunny considered it a lucky shot, he just fired at a sun flash expecting to get a plain old head strike on the bad guy.

thewookie
02-27-09, 03:25 PM
They did do the myth again, this time using a Moisan-Nagant rifle with the same type of scope used by the NVA (and most Soviet client nations) as the target. They got a lot of viewer flak over using the wrong kind of scope as a target the first time.

The second time through, they duplicated the shot (from probably a closer range, which they admitted) and called it plausible.

Even the Gunny considered it a lucky shot, he just fired at a sun flash expecting to get a plain old head strike on the bad guy.

I saw the first episode and wasn't impressed with their ability to get the test right or their facts straight, but I am glad to hear they got it right or at least got tired of reading the hate mail they must have got after the first episode. I like that show. But certain things in life can't be explained, duplicated, or understood: you just have to believe a man sometimes.

I think it's a tough shot (haha, who the fock am I) my point is I think it's a tough shot, but it can be done. And I do believe in my heart of hearts that if anyone in the world could do it, it would be Carlos. Legend has it, Gunny never told anyone he hit the guy through the scope until much later when his spotter started talking about it. He was humble, like the great ones are. He never acted like he was any better then anyone else or that he was some super-bad-azz killer. He knew he did a job, and that he rarely talked about it to anyone after. Or at least not the bad stuff; he had a great sense of humor, I agree Zulu.

NewHarleyGear
02-27-09, 07:38 PM
As a former PMI, wish I could of met him.

mcvet57103
02-27-09, 08:47 PM
I went to youtube and typed in Carlos Hathcock as instructed in an earlier post. Nice video. SF

Big Jim
02-27-09, 09:21 PM
I had the honor of meeting him twice......once when he was on tour at Camp Lejuene and another when he gave a speech about the changing of the Corps in late 1988...August I think it was. He did remember me by saying, "I remember this big guy." It was such an honor and a priviledge. I was shocked that he remembered my ugly mug....!! LOL....

mcvet57103
02-27-09, 09:24 PM
I had the honor of meeting him twice......once when he was on tour at Camp Lejuene and another when he gave a speech about the changing of the Corps in late 1988...August I think it was. He did remember me by saying, "I remember this big guy." It was such an honor and a priviledge. I was shocked that he remembered my ugly mug....!! LOL....So you think your the only big ugly mug in the Corps huh? :banana:Hello!!! :D

Big Jim
02-27-09, 10:14 PM
So you think your the only big ugly mug in the Corps huh? :banana:Hello!!! :D

..Maybe mine was the only ugly mug" that the Gunny could remember....LOL....he didn't remember my name but my face he sure did...he was a real polite guy too I remember....

mcvet57103
02-28-09, 07:05 AM
..Maybe mine was the only ugly mug" that the Gunny could remember....LOL....he didn't remember my name but my face he sure did...he was a real polite guy too I remember....I'm more than a little jealous bro. Must of been a real cool experience. SF

sadibenz
03-06-09, 12:44 AM
In 1984
I happened to meet GySgt. Hathcock by a flooke of luck. Nothing else.
I was a boot L/Cpl. in French Creek at 2nd Anglico. One day, Ssgt. Ratcliffe Aka: Danger Dan said, McDaniel get the jeep around front. I want you to see something. He had me drive out to Camp Gieger. We had picked up this Sgt. from 2nd Force Recon. Who, Danger Dan knew. He had just completed sniper school.

Apparently, GySgt. Hathcock used to be part of the graduation ceramonies back then.
He was standing out front shaking hands with the Marines that had graduated.

Danger Dan walks up to him with me to tow and introduced me. What a handshake.
Danger Dan and GySgt. Landrum used to tell stories about him. I just remember being very apprehensive about just talking to anyone above the rank of L/Cpl.

lthunder
03-06-09, 09:33 PM
I met GySgt Gunney Hathcock before you knew what... It was terrifying. He knows the marines inside and out. He knows how to hit a man dead center on any pressure point and get the score. In any case, I read both books meeting up with this man. Never want to do it again... WR