PDA

View Full Version : Newsmaker of the Day: Electronic warfare officer awarded Bronze Star for work in Iraq

thedrifter
02-17-09, 07:13 AM
Newsmaker of the Day: Electronic warfare officer awarded Bronze Star for work in Iraq

By MICHAEL GANNON
Norwich Bulletin
Posted Feb 16, 2009 @ 11:48 PM
Last update Feb 17, 2009 @ 12:33 AM

In the news: Lt. Cmdr. David Healea, an electronic warfare officer and staffer at the Naval Submarine School in Groton, recently received the Bronze Star for work done in Iraq.

The citation: Healea received the medal from Rear Adm. Bruce E. Grooms, commander of Submarine Group Two at Groton, in a ceremony Jan. 29. The medal was awarded for meritorious service while working with the Regimental Combat team under the Marine Expeditionary Force.

Background: Healea, 40, is a native of Pocatello, Idaho.

The Bronze Star: Established in 1944, the Bronze Star is awarded for heroism or meritorious service or achievement.

In Iraq: Healea, embedded with a group of Marines, was responsible for installing and maintaining radios, jamming equipment, software, fixed-site and portable equipment; and for assuring personnel knew how to use the equipment properly.

Learning opportunity: “The greatest challenge was (working with) equipment which, as a submariner, I had not used before. The work I was doing could truly have a direct impact on the safety and survivability of men and women in the field ... (and) would likely make the Marines’ job safer.”

Quotable: “It’s often said that no award is earned by a single individual’s efforts and this one is no exception,” Healea said. “I’ve gained a better understanding of the sacrifices other service members endure in carrying out their duties and the utmost respect for their choice of service.”

Ellie