View Full Version : Uncle Sam sees more recruits

thedrifter
02-17-09, 06:09 AM
February 17, 2009
Uncle Sam sees more recruits

Increase not due to sour economy, officials say

By MARIANN MARTIN
mmartin10@jacksonsun.com

Driver's license? Check. Social Security card? Check. ATM card? Check.

Cody Baker of Huntingdon and Rachea Burton of Jackson produced each item on the checklist as they prepared to leave West Tennessee for Tennessee Army National Guard basic training Monday afternoon.

The two recent recruits are part of the growing number of people signing up for military service nationwide in a worsening economy.

In the last fiscal year, all active-duty and reserve forces met or exceeded their recruitment goals for the first time since 2004, according to a Jan. 19 New York Times article. Experts in the same article credited the economy as the main reason for the increase.

But Baker and Burton say they joined the National Guard for its educational opportunities, not to find a job.

"I've always wanted to do it," said Baker, 20, sitting in the recruitment office on Vann Drive after loading his pack into the car, his dog tags dangling from his neck. "I'm really excited about basic training and getting money to finish my education."

Sgt. 1st Class Trei Bland, recruiting officer for the National Guard in Jackson, said that is the same story he hears every day.

"I'd say 90 to 95 percent join for the education packages," said Bland, 33. "Recruitment has been up for the last three years, but I really haven't seen more people coming in because of the economy. Education and a willingness to serve are the main things that drive our enlistment."

Currently, enlistment numbers across Tennessee are at 102 percent to 103 percent of the goal, Bland said. By far, the majority of people enlisting are either young people looking for a way to pay for college or people who have served in other branches of the military and want to continue serving without a full-time commitment.

Some people also are attracted by the health care package, Bland said.

"Tennessee has always had a history of volunteering for military service, and I'd say that continues today," he said.

Sgt. Andrew Hurt, a Nashville-based marketing and public affairs representative for the Marines, said he sees much the same thing. His area, which includes Tennessee and parts of Alabama and Mississippi, has not missed its annual recruitment target for eight years.

"I'm not saying (the economy) isn't affecting our recruitment at all, but I haven't noticed that much difference recently," Hurt said.

The Marines always have focused on the rewards of joining rather than the tangible benefits that may attract people in a bad economy, he said.

"We don't sell money for college. Instead, we offer young men and women a chance to fulfill lifelong goals, the intangible benefits," he said. "Many of them join because of a family tradition."

Raising the bar

As more recruits sign up for military duty, enlistees may find that it is becoming harder and harder to join.

Bland said the National Guard has recently raised the bar by requiring higher test scores and no longer allowing as many people with certain restrictions to join.

"We do exceed our recruitment goals, but only to a certain point," Bland said. "Then we will have to use more stringent requirements."

Hurt agreed that just because more applicants walk through the doors doesn't mean that the Marines will accept all of them.

"We've recently toughened our fitness requirements," he said.

A spokesman for the Army agreed to answer questions for this article but did not respond to several e-mails during the last week.

According to the New York Times, in the last year, the Army also has accepted fewer recruits without high school diplomas or those needing waivers.

For family

After finishing their checklists, Baker and Burton picked up their camouflage duffel bags and hugged their family members goodbye.

"I'm pretty excited about leaving. I can hardly wait to get back, get into an ROTC program," said Baker, hugging his mom, grandmother and sister.

In addition to the education, Baker said he is happy to be following in the footsteps of his father, who has been in the National Guard for 28 years. Lt. Col. Tommy Baker is serving in Iraq.

"I think this is a good choice for him," Baker's mother, Camille Baker, said. "I worry about him, yes, but he will broaden his perspectives, meet new people and find new opportunities."

Burton, 21, seemed less excited. On Thursday, she brought her 1-year-old daughter to the recruitment center as she finished last-minute paperwork.

"I'm doing this for her," Burton said, as she shifted the sleeping baby on her shoulder. "Having her made me want to better myself and go back to school. But I didn't have the money."

She said she has three uncles and an aunt in the National Guard, which influenced her decision. And even though she admitted to being a little scared, she said she knows she has made the right decision. Her mother will care for the baby while she completes the 10 weeks of basic training.

"Tell my mom I wasn't crying - yet," Burton said Monday, as she hugged her sister. "I'm going to be fine except for missing my baby."

Visit jacksonsun.com and share your thoughts.

- Mariann Martin,

425-9782

Ellie