PDA

View Full Version : Louise Greggs recognized for work with Montford Point museum

thedrifter
02-17-09, 05:25 AM
Louise Greggs recognized for work with Montford Point museum
Comments | Recommend
February 16, 2009 - 5:44 PM
AMANDA HICKEY

Editor's note: This is the second article in a series profiling the six Onslow County women selected as a 2009 Intriguing African American Woman.

It was Louise Greggs' love for the Montford Point Marines that earned her the title, but it's her mama's voice in her head that got her there.

On Saturday, Greggs will be one of 12 women - including four others from Onslow County and one from Camp Lejeune - honored during the 2009 Intriguing African American Women Gala.

The gala, sponsored by the Northeast Community Development Corporation, will be held at 7 p.m. Feb. 21 at the Infant of Prague Parish Hall. The sixth annual black tie event, which is sold out, honors local black women for their impact on the community.

Honorees were required to meet two of the eight criteria - politics, education, health services, military service, business, civil service, community service or religion - set by the NCDC. Greggs is being honored for her contributions in the areas of politics, education, community service and religion.

Greggs, the assistant curator at the Montford Point Museum, first heard about the history of the first black Marines during the 1970s, but she had no idea how far their history would bring her.

"This museum is a passion of mine," Greggs said as she sat amidst the displays. "It didn't start out that way ... but the more I learned about the original Montford Point Marines the more interested I became."

In 2001, Greggs' passion for learning about the pioneers reached a turning point when the museum opened.

"That just opened my eyes," she said. "I love being here. I'm just sorry I can't spend more time here."

Volunteering, however, is a life-long project for the woman who volunteers as museum design and display director, collection manager, tour guide and custodian at the Montford Point Museum.

"It has been enhanced by the military," she said with a laugh. "I did volunteer work at every duty station."

Greggs volunteered with the American Red Cross for seven years, serving as shelter manager during hurricanes Bertha, Floyd and Fran. She also volunteered as a Girl Scout liaison in Seoul, Korea, and as a volunteer with the American Embassy.

She served as a tour guide for new personnel aboard the Philadelphia Naval Base and spearheaded a project delivering The Globe to military personnel's quarters, according to her biography.

Greggs received a five-star award from the United Service Organization for 500 hours of volunteer service at the Philadelphia International Airport USO, a 24-hour facility.

"This is the seventh year and I just never thought that I would be recognized as a volunteer in my community. It's quite an honor," she said.

A fellow honoree, Gina Francis, nominated Greggs.

Francis met Greggs through her father, a Montford Point Marine.

"What she does with that museum is just phenomenal. ... She goes above and beyond the call of duty. She probably doesn't get all that she should get for that," Francis said. "That museum is a gem."

Greggs, however, would volunteer without recognition she said. Her mother always told her not to wait for someone else to do what she could do herself, she said.

"We should be more willing to help because none of us got where we are without help from someone," Greggs said. "(God) smiles more favorably on us when we do for others. ... If that's going to help me get to where I want to be, that's my heavenly home, then I will gladly volunteer to help others as much as I can."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461 or ahickey@freedomenc.com.

Ellie