PDA

View Full Version : Purple Badge worn on Service breast pocket

Jeep92yj
02-16-09, 06:28 PM
My Platoon Sgt, GySgt Viggiani was wearing his service charlies the other day and along with his intimidating stack which includes a purple heart and a navy cross (yea, this guy is moto, 10 yr gysgt)he was wearing this purple badge centered on his right breast pocket. I cant find out what it was. Anybody have any ideas?

SGT7477
02-16-09, 08:05 PM
My Platoon Sgt, GySgt Viggiani was wearing his service charlies the other day and along with his intimidating stack which includes a purple heart and a navy cross (yea, this guy is moto, 10 yr gysgt)he was wearing this purple badge centered on his right breast pocket. I cant find out what it was. Anybody have any ideas?
Why didn't you ask him?:evilgrin:

Jeep92yj
02-16-09, 08:45 PM
He's not exactly approachable, haha

SGT7477
02-16-09, 10:53 PM
I'm sure if you ask the Gunny he would tell you, inquiring minds want to know, if I was there I would ask him.

02-16-09, 11:23 PM
He's not exactly approachable, haha

Yer not afraid, are ya? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-09, 06:17 AM
I would have, but that's just me. If it's a "purple badge" with an eagle surrounded by stars, that's the "Presidential Service Badge", awarded to Marines who've served at Camp David, or on Marine One, for example. Likely that is what it is.

And, next time, just ask him. Believe it or not, he'll probably be glad to tell you.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-21-09, 06:04 AM
http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/jun2004/profile/pri061404b1.jpg

With bloodstains visible on the lower portion of his left trouser leg, Marine Sgt. Anthony Viggiani pauses to look at the camera moments after a fierce firefight with anti-coalition militia in central Afghanistan. Viggiani, a squad leader in Company C, Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, ignored the bullet wound to remain in the fight against the enemy. U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. Keith A. Milks
U.S. Marine Corps
Sgt. Anthony Viggiani

Marine Ignores Battlefield Wound, Continues Pursuing Taliban Insurgents
By U.S. Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Keith A. Milks
22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit
FORWARD OPERATING BASE RIPLEY, Afghanistan, June 14, 2004 — To many of his fellow Marines in Company C, Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, Sgt. Anthony Viggiani is the ideal Marine.
In the eyes of subordinates and seniors alike, the Strongsville, Ohio, native embodies those qualities that make Marines special: dedication, professionalism, strength, commitment, strong morals, and bravery. Now they have an additional quality to add to that list -- tough as nails.
During a recent firefight with anti-coalition militia in south-central Afghanistan, Viggiani's actions further elevated him in the eyes of the rest of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable).
When a pair of Army AH-64 Apache attack helicopters spotted approximately 20 heavily-armed militia fighters fleeing into the hills during a cordon-and-knock operation in a nearby village, Co. C immediately pursued on foot. Leading his squad over a steep, rock-strewn mountain, Viggiani was at the head of the advance when they came under heavy enemy rifle fire.
"The rounds just started pouring in," he said later that day, "and we weren't really sure where they were coming from."

On the slope opposite the valley below him, approximately 100 meters away, Viggiani and his Marines watched as two other Marines, Cpl. Randy Wood and Lance Cpl. James Gould, were wounded by enemy rifle fire.

Aware that the fire was coming from the slope in front of him, Viggiani pressed forward cautiously when he and 1st Sgt. Ernest Hoopii came under concentrated fire themselves.

The 24-year-old Viggiani then found he was mere feet from the cave housing the enemy sniper still firing at Wood and Gould, who had since taken cover behind a too-small rock.

"I was able to look down a break in the rocks and saw a bit of cloth move, so I got off three or four shots and then dropped the [fragmentation grenade]," said Viggiani.

Combined with rifle and machine-gun fire from Wood and Gould's squad, the grenade explosion silenced the enemy position, which was later found to have housed three militia fighters.

Sometime during the fight, Viggiani was struck in the lower left leg by an enemy bullet, fired by fighters further up the valley. Seemingly unmindful of the wound, Viggiani continued to engage the enemy with rifle fire until the area was cleared and a total of four dead and one wounded enemy fighters were found.
Mere minutes after the fight, with typical Marine élan, Viggiani dismissed the wound that stained the front of his trouser leg a deep crimson.

"It stings a bit, but it's nothing," he said as he paused for a photograph in front of the cave he helped clear mere minutes after the fight.

Despite recommendations from his fellow Marines, Viggiani refused to leave his platoon and seek aid at the battalion landing team's mobile command post. With a small dressing and a few aspirin, Viggiani shouldered his rifle and trudged further into the rugged mountains in pursuit of Taliban and militia fighters.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/profiles/jun2004/pr061404b.html

Sgt Leprechaun
02-21-09, 06:06 AM
The Citation:

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/images/medals/1_nx.gif
The President of the United States
Takes Pleasure in Presenting
The Navy Cross
To
Anthony L. Viggiani
Sergeant, United States Marine Corps
For Services as Set Forth in the Following

Citation:
For extraordinary heroism in action against Anti-Coalition Force Militia in Zabol Province, Afghanistan, serving as a squad leader for Charlie Company, Battalion Landing Team, First Battalion, Sixth Marines, Twenty-Second Marine Expeditionary Unit, deployed with commander, United States Fifth Fleet during Operation Enduring Freedom 3 June 2004. While leading a company assault against an enemy held ridgeline north of the village of Khabargho, Sergeant Viggiani and his squadron came under heavy and accurate fire from an enemy force well entrenched inside a cave, pinning down one of his teams and wounding two of his Marines. Moving across exposed ground, under observation and fire from an adjacent enemy position, Sergeant Viggiani maneuvered to the cave opening, but achieving no effect on the enemy. Braving enemy fire from the adjacent enemy position, he went back to retrieve a fragmentation grenade. Again, under a hail of fire, he moved to within feet of the cave opening and employed the grenade to eliminate the enemy position, which was actively firing upon friendly forces. Killing three enemy fighters, Sergeant Viggiani destroyed the enemy strongpoint and allowed his company to continue their advance up to the ridgeline, solidly defeating the enemy by killing a total of fourteen Anti-Coalition fighters. In the process, he was wounded by rifle fire from the adjacent enemy position, yet he continued to lead his Marines in the attack. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of enemy fire and utmost dedication to duty, Sergeant Viggiani reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
Born: at Strongsville, Ohio
Home Town: Strongsville, Ohio

DocGreek
02-21-09, 09:23 AM
ooooooorrrrrraaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!....who Was His Corpsman??????.....doc

Sgt Leprechaun
02-21-09, 10:09 AM
No idea, Doc. The article is all I found.

Jeep92yj
02-22-09, 03:52 PM
Yep, that's him. Motivated PT.

FistFu68
02-22-09, 05:35 PM
:evilgrin: THE LAST GUY THAT PULLED THIS CHIT IN MY SQUAD,GOT A BAG FULL OF GERNADES NOT A FRIGGING MEDAL,YOU WANT A PURPLE HEART HERE TAKE MINE MY DRUNK AZZ NEVER WANTED THA MUTHA FUCER ANYWHO :beer: :beer:

61Marine
03-10-09, 07:53 PM
Whoa, I know that 1st Sgt (now SgtMaj). He's my unit's SgtMaj now.

Alisium
03-10-09, 08:06 PM
Wow, ten years to Gunny.

That's fast.

sparkie
03-10-09, 09:12 PM
I once sat on a 4-holer with a Full Bird. We pulled are drawers up the same way. Ask him, grow some,,,,,,,,,,,

MLMonk
03-10-09, 09:46 PM
Whoa, I know that 1st Sgt (now SgtMaj). He's my unit's SgtMaj now.

GySgt Viggiani? According to MOL he's the only one with that name GySgt or above, so I am wondering how is this possible?

61Marine
03-10-09, 11:21 PM
GySgt Viggiani? According to MOL he's the only one with that name GySgt or above, so I am wondering how is this possible?

No, the previous 1st Sgt from the story, now SgtMaj Hoopii. Nice guy. Intimidating, but nice.

onux16
04-03-09, 11:34 PM
this ought to help =)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Navy_ID_Badges.png