PDA

View Full Version : Welcome home warriors: Yumans say thanks to military with parade, celebration

thedrifter
06-24-03, 05:58 AM
Welcome home warriors: Yumans say thanks to military with parade, celebration

By Darin Fenger
Jun 22, 2003

Email this page
Printer friendly page
Subscribe to The Sun

Yumans in red, white and blue lined 4th Avenue on Saturday to applaud several hundred marching warriors and eagerly deliver one simple message: Thank you.

Never have those two words seemed to mean so much than during Yuma's Warrior Welcome Home Celebration. As large groups of serious-faced Marines and soldiers marched by, folks along the street certainly let their feelings be known.

"Thanks for what you did" and "Thanks for a job well done." Both were common phrases on people's lips Saturday evening.

And those thank-yous were definitely being heard.

"It's amazing. I can't believe they're doing this for us," said Marine Lance Corp. Jill Runyan, her voice faltering slightly. "It's kind of emotional. We didn't do anything. We just did our jobs and these people love us for it. I just feel so truly honored."

Runyan returned from her deployment just two days ago.

The Warrior Welcome Home Celebration began with a parade that stretched down 4th Avenue, all the way from 16th Street to 28th Street. Afterward, both military personnel and the public in general gathered at Ray Kroc Memorial Baseball Complex for a special supper and an evening of patriotic music, ceremony and fireworks.

In addition to the parade, Runyan said the supper was pretty darn welcomed by returning troops, as well.

"I haven't been to a restaurant since I've gotten back, just the chow hall," she said. "I'm just going to eat, hang out with friends and have a fabulous time."

The parade, which lasted about 30 minutes, was led by the families of Yuma Marines killed in action during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Those family members, riding in convertibles, quiet waved at the crowds as applause was heard all around.

Men and women marching in the parade represented both Marine Corps Air Station Yuma and the U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground. Marchers included troops back from war efforts in both Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as non-war deployments around the world.

Keeping the march merry were several marching bands representing both branches of the military.

The returning warriors were joined by other military-related groups ranging from the Young Marines and American Legion to the Rough Riders Motorcycle Club and veterans who earned the Purple Heart.

But those marching weren't the only ones dressed in camouflage Saturday. Numerous active-duty military personnel who were not recently deployed also lined the streets to cheer on the guys and gals.

"This is really, really nice," said Marine Capt. Carl Neal, a veteran of Desert Storm. "I think Yuma is a pretty patriotic place. It's so important for these guys to know they have everyone's support."

For the younger military folks, seeing such a huge showing of patriotic support was especially thrilling. For Marine Lance Corp. Richard Rankin, Yuma is his first base out of boot camp.

"I just got here several months ago and I'm kind of shocked, just by the community and how they treat us," Rankin said. "I think people here are more involved than most other places. You really can't say enough, but thank you. There's not words to describe what they do for us."

Lance Cpl. Samuel Dublin agreed.

"Everyone has just been great to us since we've gotten back," Dublin said. "This is really a great town with great people and I appreciate it a lot."

For some folks in the crowd, however, seeing troops welcomed home so wholeheartedly brought forth a bitter sweet reaction.

"When I came home, I was booed," said Richard Wittman, a Navy veteran of the Vietnam War. "This is very emotional — a lot of memories."

But seeing the difference in Saturday's welcome of the troops truly brought joy to Wittman's eyes.

"But today, oh my gosh, I can't believe how many people are out here," he said. "This is unbelievable, just unbelievable."

Another Vietnam veteran, Jim McMullen, said he was moved by seeing all of the children at the Welcome Home Warrior Celebration.

"These kids are getting to see a process, the process of protecting our freedoms," McMullen said. "They are seeing what it takes to protect those freedoms that they will inherit."

While returning troops were certainly celebrated Saturday, another group of men and women remained on many people's minds. Selitto, the man with the flag, received the nation's colors from his future son-in-law, a Marine who has yet to return from the Middle East.

"We can't forget about them," Selitto said. "They aren't all back yet."

Numerous Marine wives agreed, some criticizing the Yuma community for scheduling the welcome-home event before all the troops have come home.

"I'm really grateful for this, but there needs to be an equal celebration when all of our troops come home," said Donna Wallis.

"I just hope we can see an equal welcome home," Wallis said. "We all just need to thank them for protecting our country and making this a safer place for us and our children."

---
Darin Fenger can be reached at dfenger@yumasun.com or 539-6860.

http://yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_5982.shtml

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: