PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a marine, but I have a few questions.

Visari
02-16-09, 01:19 AM
I want to be a marine and I'm going to a recruiter next Tuesday and I just wanted to know if anybody can give me any tips of maybe anything I should prepare for before going to the recruiters office. I don't want to go in not knowing what to ask but for some reason I'm having a hard time thinking of questions to ask? I've thought of a few but after that I'm kind of stuck.

Some things I planned on asking were

================================================== ==

1) I have a few tattoos one on my left under forearm in old english lettering saying DIOS MI PODER (GOD MY POWER) and it's very visible in a t-shirt and I have my two baby brothers initials on the back of my right hand and a little smiley face on the back of my thumb a heart on the back of my index finger, a diamond on the back of my middle finger, a spade on the back of my ring finger and a clover on the back of my pinky...

None are gang related what so ever I've never been arrested in my life I have no record period and right now I'm looking into making appointments to get these tattoos removed so after I get them removed will it still be a problem because I had tattoos are they that strict or is it as long as they cant see them?

2) I didn't complete high school and I need to replace 1 year I missed the 12th alltogether and I'm looking into some programs that will allow me to get my high school diploma and atm I'm leaning towards an online school education course that a principle from a local highschool gave me after learning that an online program would be best for me since I have no means of transportation and live far enough from the city for it to be a problem.

So my real question there is if I earn my high school diploma through this course online which will cost me a pretty penny and take me a little bit more than a year to complete, will they accept the diploma? They are a nationally accredited online school and I've been advised of many bologna programs like this but I was assured by several teachers and staff members at this highschool of other students obtaining legit hs diplomas though it.

3) I'm a somewhat bulky guy, I'm 5ft 10" tall and weigh 249lbs and have a BMI of 35.9 and I hear I need to be at 18. I've never tried a diet and I've been stuck at this specific weight for years not gaining or losing lbs, I'm semi-active I don't sit on the couch all day watching tv I clean the house all day literally every 10-15 minutes I vacume downstairs and upstairs clean counters, sweep floors, dishes, cooking for family and doing laundry in a house approximatley 3000 square feet with 7 lazy people to clean after (just to have an idea it's a decent size house) and I do this pretty much every day all day so I think I can handle a excersize program and maybe some nutritional tips seeing as my eating habbits are a little off I don't eat all day long I skip every meal besides drinking water but then about 9pm I cave in and gorge on food, is this bad?

================================================== ==

Thats about all I've got, I want to be prepared when I go in and also I'm not sure what to expect? if he sees things wrong is he going to tell me right off the bat? if he sees something I need to work on or fix will he tell me? Do I have to take a test of any kind when I go in to the recruiter?

I know the MOS I want 0311 is that something I tell him? Also if anybody can lay out how the whole process is from recruit to actually being a marine I'm just curious, I heard it was something like from recruiting station to MEPS then to bootcamp.

Thank you to anyone that can help, I really appreciate it.

Quinbo
02-16-09, 01:35 AM
Ok ... which one of you jokers made this profile and thread? Doc is gonna start busting heads in a minute.

Next we'll see a thread I have 3 eyes and 4 arms and weigh 900 lbs but want to join the Marines.

0231Marine
02-16-09, 06:34 AM
Wow!

Fill out your profile first. Then read the rules for the forum.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Phantom Blooper
02-16-09, 06:55 AM
I want to be a marine, but I have a few questions.

People in hell want ice water...but that doesn't mean they will get it!

With your laundry list and bulk size you have enough waivers to write a small thesis.

I would reconsider my goals and join the army!

I just wanted to know if anybody can give me any tips

Yeah.....Don't eat yellow snow!

And.....READ THE RULES OF THIS SITE AND FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

Next we'll see a thread I have 3 eyes and 4 arms and weigh 900 lbs but want to join the Marines.

The Purple People Eater strikes again!:no:

:evilgrin:

Marine84
02-16-09, 07:40 AM
And here we have ANOTHER one Marines! This has GOT to be a joke!

Visari
02-16-09, 07:43 AM
My mistake, thanks for the rules list. I've filled my profile. Being a purple people eater didn't see so bad at first. I did consider the army until I witnessed a Marine in a confrontation between 2 army personnel and a national guardsmen at a bar take all 3 of them down, obviously wanting to serve my country is where most of my inspiration is but seeing that made me think being in the army were for those not looking for a challenge.

Quinbo
02-16-09, 07:51 AM
Ohh my heck ... It's Mork from Ork
Nannu Nannu

0231Marine
02-16-09, 07:53 AM
My mistake, thanks for the rules list. I've filled my profile. Being a purple people eater didn't see so bad at first. I did consider the army until I witnessed a Marine in a confrontation between 2 army personnel and a national guardsmen at a bar take all 3 of them down, obviously wanting to serve my country is where most of my inspiration is but seeing that made me think being in the army were for those not looking for a challenge.

So you're basing wanting to be a Marine because you saw some dumb jarhead get in a fight with three soldiers? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Do not use that Marine as a basis for your decision to enlist in any branch of the military. Just because those soldiers that were dumb enough to get in a fight and lost doesn't mean that all soldiers aren't looking for a challenge like you say. There are some Marines that can't fight to save their lives as I'm sure there are some soldiers out there that can back their sh!t up when it comes time to step up. You are so far out in left field if you believe anything you just wrote.

Also, regarding your hand tattoo's. I'm not 100% certain but I think that's a no go now for anyone wanting to enlist. Each Marine is a representative of the Marine Corps as an institution and the Commandant doesn't want Marines with tattoos all over their hands, regardless of gang affiliation.

0231Marine
02-16-09, 08:00 AM
Also, cleaning a house all day does not qualify you to assume you can handle any exercise program. It sounds to me that since you don't lose any weight while doing your rigorous activities, you are actually not accomplishing anything regarding physical fitness. Again, I think you have a grave misunderstanding of what it takes to become a Marine, both physically and mentally. Instead of skipping all of your meals and then eating enough for a family of 5 at 2100, try eating 5 small meals about 2 1/2 hours apart throughout the day and mix in some pt. Stop cleaning for your whole family and tell them to do it themselves.

DocGreek
02-16-09, 08:41 AM
WHAT??? "I want to be a MARINE, but.." WHEN PIGS FLY!! This IS the funniest thread...I've seen, since joining Leatherneck.com!! VISARI.....you got us giggling, and WE really like it!!.....DOC