PDA

View Full Version : Remembering a dark time

thedrifter
02-15-09, 07:14 AM
February 15
Remembering a dark time

By BILL O ’ BOYLE boboyle@timesleader.com

WILKES-BARRE – John Pappas stands in his living room surrounded by newspaper clippings, medals and pictures of his time in the Marine Corps and his days on Iwo Jima.

CLARK VAN ORDEN/THE TIMES LEADER

The display has gathered dust in the cluttered room, but Pappas’ memory of his wartime duty remains clear. At 82, Pappas still gets emotional when he recalls the battle to seize the island that proved critical in the American effort to win World War II.

“I was told to carry a flag to the top of Mount Suribachi,” Pappas, a member of the Marine Corps 3rd Division, said. “But the 5th Division had a bigger flag, so they used that one.”

That is the flag shown being raised in Joe Rosenthal’s Pulitzer Prize winning photograph taken when U.S. forces captured the summit. The event was captured on film by Sgt. William H. “Bill” Genaust, who was killed nine days after the flag was raised and whose remains have never been recovered from the island.

“Let him rest in peace,” Pappas said when told of the efforts of Dunmore businessman Bob Bolus, who has made bringing Genaust’s remains home to Arlington National Cemetery his life’s mission. “There are a lot of guys still there; they’ve been there for more than 60 years. Let them lie.”

Pappas quietly tells of ascending Mount Suribachi with his unit. He carried a flamethrower, sending fiery rounds into caves in island hillsides to roust Japanese soldiers from their sniper nests.

“We stopped to rest about halfway up,” Pappas said. “Three of my buddies sat down, but there wasn’t room for me, so I sat across from them under a tree. They were hit and killed as I watched. I’ll never forget that.”

Pappas was injured by shrapnel and taken to a ship for treatment. He watched from the ship’s deck as the flag was raised on Feb. 23, 1945.

Pappas knows securing Iwo Jima and its two airstrips was critical to winning the war. He knows the sacrifices that were made, some by men who never returned.

“I really don’t think they will find anything now,” Pappas said. “But I wish them luck.”

For generations that have followed, it’s difficult to understand the heroic deeds of soldiers like Pappas and his fellow Marines. Pappas believes that by commemorating the battle for Iwo Jima, new generations will learn what it took to preserve our freedom.

“I thank God I’m still alive,” Pappas said. “I’ll never forget being there and I’ll never forget the guys that died fighting for this country.”

Bill O’Boyle, a Times Leader staff writer, may be reached at 829-7218.

Ellie

Marine Corps veteran John Pappas, Wilkes-Barre, with a medal he was awarded for heroism during the battle for Iwo Jima.