PDA

View Full Version : Marine Wives Responsible For Helping Thousands of Disabled Veterans

thedrifter
02-15-09, 06:41 AM
Marine Wives Responsible For Helping Thousands of Disabled Veterans

Colorado Springs
Posted: 3:33 PM Feb 14, 2009
Last Updated: 6:56 PM Feb 14, 2009
Reporter: Rosie Barresi
Email Address: rbarresi@kktv.com

Helping injured Marines and Sailors one hero at a time. It's all thanks to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

It's been around for five-years and has already helped more than 3,000 men and women.

A group of Team Semper Fi Members are in training camp at the Olympic Training Center all weekend long in Colorado Springs.

Saturday they did archery and volleyball and on Sunday it's wheelchair basketball.

Team Semper Fi has roughly thirty members from all over the country and they are involved in an array of activities such as, marathons, triathlons, bike races, and training camps like the one at the Olympic Training Center.

11 News was there for training camp and met Retired Corporal Marine Corp. Patrick Myers of Texas. He lost both his legs in combat in the Middle East. "I was hit with a roadside bomb in November of 2005," said Ret. Cpl. Marine Patrick Myers.

He confessed that he didn't think he was going to make it. "I was just calm and peaceful. I wasn't hurting at all," said Ret. Cpl. Marine Myers.

But, he survived and hasn't been alone since. "They find you and make sure you have what you need," said Ret. Cpl. Marine Myers.

The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund goes out and finds injured Marines and Sailors. "Semper Fi means, always faithful, and that's what we try to be with our Marines," said Wendy Lethin who is with the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund.

All it took was a group of Marine Corp. wives. They're the ones who started the organization five-years ago and have already given away $27 million to thousands of severely injured Marines and Sailors.

"Keeps you motivated, keeps you active and it gives you something to look forward to," said Ret. Cpl. Marine Myers.

On Sunday between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. at the Olympic Training Center there will be a wheelchair basketball competition. Anyone can come and watch.

The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund runs strictly on donations. If you'd like to chip in you can log onto www.semperfifund.org/ You can click on the donate button on the upper left hand side of the front page.

Ellie