PDA

View Full Version : NC wrestler set to march into Marines

thedrifter
02-14-09, 08:14 AM
NC wrestler set to march into Marines

Kirt Manion
News-Press

Nebraska City wrestler Matt Fredrickson is marching to the Marines, and he isn’t even going to wait for the end of the school year.

Fredrickson, who picked up a second place finish at the Eastern Midlands Conference tournament last weekend at Plattsmouth, will compete Friday and Saturday at the district meet at Beatrice, where he hopes to qualify for the state tournament, which begins in Omaha Thursday, Feb. 19.

The state tourney will end Saturday, Feb. 21.

A month after that, Fredrickson will get set to depart for his early entry into the Marines.

Fredrickson said he hadn’t been thinking about a career in the military until talking with a recruiter this year. He says college wasn’t among his interests and entry into the military sounded like more of a real option for him.

“I just actually made the decision two months ago,” Fredrickson said.

What’s attractive about the Marines?

Fredrickson said he looks forward to the tests and a possible chance to wrestle in the Marines.

“I like being pushed,” Fredrickson said, adding that the Marines have a basic training that lasts four weeks longer than that of any other branch of service. “If you go through all of that, I would say you would be in pretty good wrestling shape.”

Fredrickson said the decision to go in on an early-entry basis was a tough one for him, however.

Leaving in March means he will miss prom, graduation and other activities that most seniors get to enjoy.

“I’ll miss Nebraska City�”the people,” Fredrickson said.

As for the on-going conflicts around the world, Fredrickson said he wasn’t deterred from service in the Marines by the potential of being stationed in military hot spots abroad. It might have helped him make the decision.

Rather than just learning skills, Fredrickson said he is excited that he will learn skills and get to use those skills in real-life situations.

For now, Fredrickson will concentrate on using his wrestling skills in tournament situations with the goal of leaving the state event with a medal.

Ellie