PDA

View Full Version : Doing the Right Thing and Correcting Marines

thedrifter
06-23-03, 06:41 AM
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003620141549
Story by Sgt. Maj. Frank E. Pulley

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 20, 2003) -- Prior to reporting to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, I was approached by several personnel of all ranks who shared how happy, and worried, they were for me because "things had changed" at the Depot. Most didn't elaborate but just simply stated that "it" was different than when I was assigned here nearly 10 years ago. I didn't really know what they were referring to, so I was left to wonder.

Upon being posted as the Depot and Western Recruiting Region sergeant major, I was interviewed by a motivated Marine from "The Chevron." During this interview, I was questioned about how I felt about my new post and what some of my goals were. I mentioned I am honored, humbled and proud to be assigned here. I also mentioned how I wanted to get "out and about" to observe our Marines and sailors doing what they do best. Lastly, I spoke of how I expect all personnel assigned here to adhere to and enforce all pertinent regulations, and uphold our customs, courtesies, and traditions.

As for the first point, after being aboard the Depot for nearly two months, I must admit my feelings of pride are even stronger. For the most part, as I'm "out and about," I encounter extremely professional and competent Marines, sailors and civilians. I've met outstanding commanders, sergeants major and senior enlisted representatives, as well as superb officers, staff noncommissioned officers, noncommissioned officers and troops from the various commands and sections. During this time, I've also seen many old friends, made new acquaintances and visited several of our historical buildings.

I suppose initially I couldn't "see" what had been meant by "things had changed" or "it" being different. I couldn't "see" because I wasn't looking at the right things. On the surface, my initial "look," was of the same historical buildings, many of the same wonderful civilian personnel, now a little older and a lot wiser. We have the same airport noise, same mess halls, (albeit with civilian management), same schools and the same recruit training. I also attended our morning colors, emblem, graduation, and retirement ceremonies. At each event, the "juices got to flowing" and the adrenaline started pumping, so maybe I was "temporarily blinded." However, once I started to "look" deeper, I soon became genuinely concerned.

Basically the "concern" surrounds several personnel NOT adhering to and enforcing pertinent regulations, and upholding customs, courtesies and traditions. Maybe that's exactly what was meant by "things have changed" or "it" is different. The following are a few examples of those "things":

? A staff sergeant was wearing inappropriate civilian attire by wearing a ball cap backward indoors. He stated he knew he couldn't do it at Miramar but didn't see any signs here. Now, I think we have signs for him and all others.

? Family members of Depot personnel were in the Recreation Center wearing ball caps backward. Other dependents were in the theater with their shoes and feet on the backs of the seats in front of them. I asked them if they liked the facility and they responded, "Yeah." I told them to remove their ball caps, put their feet on the floor or leave the facility and/or base. They complied.

? NCOs with borderline haircuts; excessive gel in hair, long tapered shirts not tucked in, no belt.

? NCOs lacking courtesy, being indifferent (borderline disrespectful) in the presence of a retired Marine master sergeant.

? A Navy petty officer wearing flip-flops and a tank top inside the barbershop.

? A Recruiter School student in the Post Office area with no cover, wearing cammie trousers with no belt, sweatshirt and wearing a blue backpack.

? A Marine officer at the Depot gas station wearing a green T-shirt as outer garment along with mesh P.T. shorts.

As such, the following are areas of concern that I am soliciting your support to address and correct immediately:

-Personnel are not authorized to wear covers (ball caps, hats, bandanas, doo-rags, etc.) indoors!

Customs, Courtesies and Traditions:

? Sloppy (spaghetti) salutes.

? Junior personnel failing to render proper greetings to seniors.

? Music being played too loud.

? Profanity in presence of women and children.

? Junior personnel responding with a "Yeah" and/or "Check."

? Junior personnel remaining seated when addressing senior personnel.

? Personnel being outside in uniform and not wearing a cover.

? Personnel not wearing covers while driving or riding in POV/GOVs.

Personal Appearance:

? Borderline haircuts (i.e. hair too long)

? Excessive "gel" in hair.

? Baggy clothes, tank tops, flip-flops in civilian attire, etc.

? Inappropriate civilian attire being worn around Depot.

(Common sense should prevail)

Police of Depot: ALL OF OUR RESPONSIBILITY!

? Too much trash and debris lying or flying around.

? Weeds growing in parking lots and around curbs.

? Excessive bird nests (with bird droppings) in and around the arcade and archways.

I'm sure that the aforementioned examples may appear to be relatively small or minor in nature to some. However, aboard a MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT, these are many. EVERYTHING we do, or don't do, has something to do with making and training United States Marines! When we least expect it, someone, probably a recruit or junior Marine, is watching.

To me, this particular duty station is truly an honor. As such, I think we have an individual responsibility and obligation to serve and represent our proud institution in a highly professional manner. Further, we are also "keepers of the keys" and must strive to be dependable caretakers of our nation's, and Corps', resources.

To those who say "things have changed," you do raise a great issue but I think you're only partially correct because for the most part, the rules, regulations, and traditions have not "changed."

So it's simply a case of everyone getting "back to the basics," making necessary corrections, and focusing on the "intangibles" of our proud heritage, time-tested traditions, espirit de corps, Gung Ho attitude, motivation, discipline and loyalty that our predecessors left for us.

These "intangibles" serve as a constant reminder as to what separates us from all others and makes us unique as United States Marines.

Fortunately, this is a relatively "easy fix" because it's the "right thing" to do. Further, what is even more exciting is the fact that we have the support of the commanding general and we have the most professional Marines and sailors in the Corps!" Plus, we're assigned to an environment where displaying courtesy and making corrections become "contagious."

For leaders at all levels, if and when we make corrections, we can and will make a difference! However, if and when we fail to make correction, we can and will also fail to make a difference! I urge you to keep making corrections. Our Corps and our Marines deserve nothing less.

Lastly, I salute each and everyone one of you! Please, lean forward and continue to march! Always remember the Marine Corps motto: Semper Fidelis!

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: