View Full Version : Marine kicks it with the JGSDF

thedrifter
06-23-03, 06:35 AM
Training with Japanese counterparts...
Marine kicks it with the JGSDF
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200361821624
Story by Cpl. Trevor M. Carlee

CAMP KINSER, Okinawa, Japan(June 19, 2003) -- Some say it is impossible to teach an old dog new tricks, but that is not the case for one devil dog.

Gunnery Sgt. Kevin W. Padron, assistant operations chief, Marine Air Control Group-18, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, recently underwent nearly two months of in-depth martial arts training at the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Martial Arts Physical Training Instructor Course.

Padron is the first Marine to ever participate in the JGSDF martial arts program and is now qualified to train other Marines in the Jukendo and Toshikakto fighting styles.

"There probably has never been a Marine in that class before because all they speak is Japanese," the Key West, Fl., native, explained. "I can speak Japanese very well, and I love martial arts."

The fist-throwing gunnery sergeant began studying the Japanese language through the University of Maryland University College approximately 14 years ago.

His first duty station was here, and he has spent nearly14 years here, on and off.

"I really like it out here,? Padron said. ?I even met my wife out here when I was a corporal."

His Japanese was very useful while going through the course, however, for the written portion, he was exempt because he is not as talented with his writing.

"(The Japanese) spend 18 years just to learn about 2,000 symbols in the Japanese language and there are much more than that," Padron explained. "My writing is at about a sixth grader's level."

While his verbal skills are exceptionally well, he still had difficulty with some topics discussed in the classes during the course.

"They were going over the history of Japan and they used some words that were really old and I had no idea what they were saying," Padron said.

The course is held Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Padron explained that every day switched between practicing Jukendo in the morning and Toshikakto in the afternoon and vise versa. Also intertwined within the class schedule were information classes, such as nutrition classes and flexibility and strength exercise classes.

"The days are long and tough," Padron said. "It was good that they gave us Saturday and Sunday off to heal."

Jukendo is a style of martial arts that deals with bayonet training, according to Padron. The students start off with a fake bayonet and practice on each other and are also trained with real weapons on inanimate objects.

Toshikakto is a combination of many different styles of fighting. It starts off with the students doing something simple, like a punch, and gradually, the students add moves to the katas, which are compilations of multiple martial arts moves.

The students are also trained on how to referee. This knowledge is necessary if they are ever involved in a martial arts tournament. They were given the opportunity to practice their newly learned skills in two competitions, one week prior to the graduation.

According to Padron, in order to pass the course, the students must perform a kata, compete in the tournaments, demonstrate practical application and pass the three written tests, which Padron was exempt from.

"It was an honor to represent the Marine Corps and graduate a foreign school," Padron said. "It shows how we can build bridges and bonds with the JGSDF and we can mold together to accomplish common goals."

Padron said he has been interested in martial arts since he joined the Marine Corps and was curious of the differences between the JGSDF martial arts program and the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. He added that he believed some things he learned at the school could be implemented into the MCMAP in the future.

Currently, Padron is a first-degree black belt in Toshikakto and Kendo, a second-degree black belt in Jukendo and a Ni Kyo in Aikido. Aikido has ranks instead of belts, but Padron explained that if his rank were a belt, it would be two away from a black belt.

"Aikido is my passion," Padron said. "I practice it three times a week religiously."

While he ranks high in many martial arts styles, Padron is still only a tan belt in MCMAP. However, he said he definitely wants to go higher but he has been too busy to attend the courses.

"I think martial arts is not only good physically, but spiritually as well," Padron said. "Actually knowing in your heart, center and surroundings, and getting into the right mindset is what martial arts is really about. Your heart, mind, body and soul have to be in it. You can't just go through the motions to be good."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200361902745/$file/TAIBO.gif

Gunnery Sgt. Kevin W. Padron, assistant operations chief, Marine Air Control Group-18, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing practices his martial arts moves. He recently underwent nearly two months of in-depth martial arts training at the Japan Ground Self Defense Force Martial Arts Physical Training Instructor Course. Padron is the first Marine to ever participate in the JGSDF martial arts program.
Photo by: Cpl. Trevor Carlee

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: