PDA

View Full Version : Poolee diagnosed with....HELP

hemiman
02-12-09, 02:36 PM
Hello,

I have been a poolee for about a year now. I am supposed to leave in June. Unfortionately, for reasons i cant explain...I have been diagnosed with Anxiety Depression....(Finally went to see what was goin on) The doc said i'll be on anti Depressants for AT LEAST 6 months, and could be much much longer... This, is a blow below the belt... I told my recruiter, and was totally expecting to be removed from being a Poolee, but was suprised with this type of response..." well, i know you want to be a Marine, I can forget i ever heard this and still let you go...w/o the meds....its just the weather probably..your strong you'll over come it..."

I dont feel real comfortable with this....for many reasons.

Now, IDK what to do. I will feel like a failure and a P*$$y if i tell him i need out. But i risk the chance of going, having a break down or who knows and get kicked out with fraudulent enlistment and probably medical. The people ive told just dont understand, they think its just my head messin with me..... but Anxiety Depression is Legit.....

I just need some advise, and Guidance....

Thanks,
Annonomise Poolee

NoRemorse
02-12-09, 02:41 PM
Auto-DQ. You need to see more doctors to confirm your diagnosis. If you're going on meds then you'll have to be off them at least 6 months before even attempting to get cleared.

If you and get shipped you could: break down at the Moment of Truth; have a breakdown and be discovered; or possibly make it through and get someone killed once you're out in the Fleet. Like I said, we don't know enough about the situation. You're a liability at this point.

I don't know offhand if this will DQ you forever. A more knowledgeable Marine will be along to help you at his or her discretion.

KawiGunny
02-12-09, 02:46 PM
Get a second opinion. If it's the same, take your meds. Get healthy and then sign back up.

TMM54
02-12-09, 05:03 PM
The second opinion is a great idea. The medical doc's treat most everything with medications, and that is fine. Some of them work. But ask whatever doctor you go see a very simple question: What is causing this? If they can not give you a answer that you can understand, I suggest that you had better start thinking on your own. What causes your problem? Is it a certain situation you find yourself in that causes you anxiety? Is it a certain place, day of the week, when you think about certain things? Just ask questions, and usually you will find the answer.

Most of us have had anxiety over a lot of things, and some of us still do. Me, I dug a hole in the front yard and buried all of my old fears. Now, instead of worrying what might go wrong, I think what will go right.

Hope you find the right doctor to help you, or you help yourself.
Best thoughts, Tom

Marine84
02-12-09, 09:07 PM
If you're this worried about it - don't go.

davblay
02-13-09, 12:07 AM
Hello,

I have been a poolee for about a year now. I am supposed to leave in June. Unfortionately, for reasons i cant explain...I have been diagnosed with Anxiety Depression....(Finally went to see what was goin on) The doc said i'll be on anti Depressants for AT LEAST 6 months, and could be much much longer... This, is a blow below the belt... I told my recruiter, and was totally expecting to be removed from being a Poolee, but was suprised with this type of response..." well, i know you want to be a Marine, I can forget i ever heard this and still let you go...w/o the meds....its just the weather probably..your strong you'll over come it..."

I dont feel real comfortable with this....for many reasons.
--------------------------------------

Anxiety is not a condition that is diagnosed lightly! Was the Doc a Phycologist, or a phycirotist (spelling)!

I hope you misunderstood what the recruiter said to you about it,, I know a trained Marine Recruiter would know look the other way for you or anyone else just get those numbers in for the month! Contrary to popular believe, the recruiters jof from day one, id to DQ your azz! It's up to you to show him that you have what it take sto be one of us,

I enlisted a man once in top shap, according to MEPS he shipped to Fort Sill (Army) and tewo weeks later My Commanding General called me to his office and chew me up one side and down the other for letting that man get by be!

He was married and had 1 child and missed them boyh very much, so he decided to tell them he had peptic ulcers and had had them for 4 years. He did tell them that I didn't know about it so I got off easy, but they nailed his azz to the wall. Fraudulant enlistment, Generl grade seperation with other than honorable conditions.

Yep that was my genious that thought he could get past the system, well he did, but his RE-Code was 4P, no waivers authorized in any branch! I got a official ahh-chit, that erased all attaboys I have earned that month and they doubled my mission (quots) for the next monthe. I worked 80-90 hours a week to accomplish that mission, but I made it ok. I got a Navy Achievemnt Madal for that mission, as I enlisted 17 in one minth going to Fort Know for Armor training, and another 5 goping toFort Benning gor Infantry.

The Military takes these complaints very seriosly and spend a lot of money to investigat the whole story before whe thro the, out. Oh and they ain't know Bank playing or a formation to see you of, the giv you a bus ticked to your home of residence, no fanfair!

Because I didn't know of his conditions, I was exonorated and put back in recruiting where I staey for two more years.

My suggestion,,,,tell tem at MEPS, bfore you ship to MCRD. That save the Corps the expence of your ticket to get you there just to send you home after they have thier way with you a few days. If you don't get the chance to tell MEPS, then you will have a chance to tell them at recieving, just don't let it sneak up and bite you in the ass latter on. They don't make it pretty when the MPs come to get you out of traning to send you home.

Now, IDK what to do. I will feel like a failure and a P*$$y if i tell him i need out. But i risk the chance of going, having a break down or who knows and get kicked out with fraudulent enlistment and probably medical. The people ive told just dont understand, they think its just my head messin with me..... but Anxiety Depression is Legit.....

I just need some advise, and Guidance.... Everone can't be A Marne simple as that son!

Thanks,
Annonomise Poolee

Good luck Son, if you make it to MCRD let me know and will sed you moto mail while you are there.

Dave

CBRN5711Tech
02-13-09, 12:18 AM
It is okay, everyone gets depressed from time to time; **** happens, life goes on. Just be honest with MEPS and let your recruiter know that you aren't going to lie no matter what. Take your meds get better and if your ship date gets cancelled, there is no shame in that. Know you did the right thing. Best of luck to you.

crazymjb
02-16-09, 02:08 PM
I was on meds starting in middle school for the same thing and went off starting freshmen year and was completely off them by sophomore year. I had to get medical references and a BUMED waiver before I was cleared, but I was cleared. Personally, I think they helped me with anxiety when I went on them, and I do believe medication works. When I was off them junior and senior years there were times I got really anxious, and I still do, but I know that they are not compatible with the Marine Corps, so I have taught myself other ways to deal with stress, depression, and anxiety.

Don't listen to your recruiter. Going off medication against the supervision of a medical profession is dangerous. Combine that with legitimate depression and anxiety, and the stress of boot camp, you have the making of a really bad situation. Did you inform the psychiatrist of this before seeing him? I would think if he knew it would prevent you from serving in the military he would have exhausted every other available method before medicating you.

good luck

Mike