thedrifter
02-12-09, 08:09 AM
February 12, 2009
Scouts give thanks to veterans with valentines

Troop visits senior community

By HARTRIONO B.
SASTROWARDOYO

They gave hearts from their heart.

Members of Girl Scout Troop 593, here, on Tuesday night handed out valentine cards to township veterans living at Westlake Mews, an age-restricted community, in an early celebration of the holiday and in appreciation of their service.

"I wanted to meet those who saved us and protected our country," said Tori Radosti, 10.

"They (the Scouts) are a bunch of sweethearts," said 75-year-old Don Rosendale, a former U.S. Air Force captain who served as a navigator on the plane that brought Elvis Presley back to the United States from his tour of duty in Germany.

Sue Guzman, the troop leader, said she was shopping at Christmastime when she noticed a man sleeping in his sport-utility vehicle at a township gas station; the SUV was covered on the inside with various clippings and other mentions about veterans and Marines.

"I felt bad he was living in his car," Guzman said. "He didn't ask for anything, but I rummaged for something to give him," eventually finding a Walgreens gift card that she left underneath his windshield wiper.

"At the next meeting I told the girls I couldn't leave the parking lot without helping him," Guzman said.

That led to a discussion among the group as to who and why someone would serve in the military. The Scouts came up with ideas to honor the veterans, tying in their appreciation with the closest holiday following their meeting — Valentine's Day. They were aided by Westlake Mews employee Lucille Ruzzano, who helped to locate veterans and to secure the development's community room to hold the event.

Eight of the 12 Scouts in the troop made the presentation Tuesday, which was attended by a somewhat equal number of veterans. The valentines bore a variety of messages: "Thank you for fighting for my country," "Thank you so much for keeping our country safe," and simply, "Happy Valentine's Day."

"This was a great idea," said Ron Newman, 84, who served in the Navy during World War II.

Ashley Stanger modestly brushed off the thanks.

"I'm glad to be here," the 11-year-old said.

ON THE WEB: Visit www.ryvenco.com/new-home/the-mews-at-cooks-bridge.html for more information on The Mews at Cooks Bridge, www.girlscoutsjs.org for the Girl Scouts of the Jersey Shore and www.orgsites.com/nj/dogwood for the Dogwood Service Unit, which services Girl Scouts in Lakewood and Jackson.
Additional Facts
FROM THE HEART

About 190 million Valentine's Day cards are expected to be purchased by Americans this year, second in sending popularity to Christmas. Factor in those exchanged by children in the classroom, and an estimated 1 billion valentines will be exchanged by Saturday.

Want to increase the odds of receiving a valentine? Live in either the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Italy, Mexico or the United Kingdom, which is where the holiday is widely celebrated. Or know a woman, as women purchase more than 80 percent of Valentine's Day cards. Or be an elementary school teacher, due to the popularity of children exchanging cards in the classroom.

Source: Greeting Card Association

Ellie