PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

sscjoe
02-11-09, 01:10 PM
I live about 60 miles north of NYC. At 1345 I noticed what appeared to be civilian jet aircraft at about 7000ft and maybe 1000ft apart flying an identical course due south. This seemed a little odd to see 2 aircraft flying low and slow so I contacted the DHS. Now the f--ked up part. I waited about 20 rings before the call was connected. At that time I explained my observation and the party on the other end said she was connecting me to the Air Marshalls Service. I let the phone ring for over 5 minutes and finally hung up. Should have I called the DHS on this or just blew it off?

NoRemorse
02-11-09, 01:15 PM
I live about 60 miles north of NYC. At 1345 I noticed what appeared to be civilian jet aircraft at about 7000ft and maybe 1000ft apart flying an identical course due south. This seemed a little odd to see 2 aircraft flying low and slow so I contacted the DHS. Now the f--ked up part. I waited about 20 rings before the call was connected. At that time I explained my observation and the party on the other end said she was connecting me to the Air Marshalls Service. I let the phone ring for over 5 minutes and finally hung up. Should have I called the DHS on this or just blew it off?

I can give you the number of a guy I know at DHS if you want to follow up. That account is too suspicious to not call in.

sscjoe
02-11-09, 01:23 PM
Ramon, fire me off a PM with that info. I am more concerned, at this point, that I got no response.

NoRemorse
02-11-09, 01:27 PM
PM outbound

Semper Fi

Chumley
02-11-09, 01:39 PM
Nothing on the news at this time. Most likely a "near hit" ( "near misses" actually would indicate contact ). So much for lessons learned!!

SFi
C

1stRad2671
02-11-09, 04:11 PM
If you have a question about aircraft call the FAA, not DHS.
They have this thing call radar they use to make sure aircraft are where they are supposed to be when in class B airspace like what you describe.

Pete0331
02-11-09, 07:43 PM
Should have I called the DHS on this or just blew it off?

You did the right thing in calling it in.
It is better to call in a mistake, then not to and allow something to go wrong.

Twitchell
02-11-09, 08:28 PM
Good observation Joe. I would definetly follow it up. Even if there wasn't a problem, it's bull**** that they are that difficult to get ahold of. It's lax attitudes like that, that let major mishaps happen.

0231Marine
02-12-09, 07:38 AM
Where is Sully when you need him!

sscjoe
02-12-09, 08:08 AM
If you have a question about aircraft call the FAA, not DHS.
They have this thing call radar they use to make sure aircraft are where they are supposed to be when in class B airspace like what you describe.

I assuming that this was the scenario the case seeing as I got no response from anyone. Also most likely an approach pattern at one of the 4 airports within 70 miles was changed. Thanks for the help 1stRad

sscjoe
02-12-09, 08:28 AM
I'm assuming that this was the scenario, seeing as I got no response from anyone. Also most likely an approach pattern at one of the 4 airports within 70 miles was changed. Thanks for the help 1stRad

silverdollar
02-12-09, 10:10 AM
I don`t think that I would have called it in, from the course they were flying they might have been on their way to DC.:evilgrin: