PDA

View Full Version : Camp Lejeune Marines take the helm in Al Anbar province

thedrifter
02-11-09, 06:51 AM
Camp Lejeune Marines take the helm in Al Anbar province

2/9/2009 By Public Affairs Office , Multi National Force - West
AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —

For the third time since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, Marines from the Camp Lejeune, N.C.-based II Marine Expeditionary Force have assumed the mantle of Multi National Force - West, which oversees Coalition efforts in Iraq’s Al Anbar province.

During a Feb. 9 ceremony aboard Al Asad Air Base, Maj. Gen. Richard T. Tryon, commanding general of II MEF (Forward), assumed command of MNF-W from Maj. Gen. John F. Kelly, the commanding general of the Camp Pendleton, Calif.-based I MEF (Fwd).

Kelly and his Marines deployed to Iraq in January 2008, and during the past 12 months, I MEF (Fwd) and its partners in the Iraqi Security Forces made tangible and long-lasting contributions to the overall security situation in Al Anbar, which has helped usher in an era of peace and prosperity in the province.

“After the troop surge in 2007, Anbar was transitioning from being a heartland of the insurgency to being the first province to expel Al Qaeda,” said Army Lt. Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III, the commanding general of the XVIII Airborne Corps and Multi National Corps-Iraq, who provided the transfer of authority ceremony’s opening remarks. “Today, Anbar is much safer, and the Iraqi Army and Iraqi Police are much more capable, and the people of Anbar have a better life.”

“You can return [to the United States] knowing you made a genuine difference for this country,” Austin added, reflecting on the accomplishments of Kelly and the men and women of I MEF (Fwd).

In a symbolic gesture, Kelly and Sgt. Maj. W.N. O’Connell Jr., the sergeant major of I MEF (Fwd), cased their unit’s organizational colors before Kelly made his final remarks as the commanding general of MNF-W.

“Those of us who came here and put our lives on the line had the noblest of intentions,” said Kelly. “Not for land – not for oil – not for prestige, or for anything else but our country’s security and other people’s freedom.”

Kelly lauded the accomplishments of the Coalition forces under his command and praised their efforts that enabled the Iraqi people to take part in the recent, and peaceful, provincial elections.

“By dipping your fingers in a bottle of ink,” Kelly said, addressing the Iraqi political, tribal and military leaders in the audience, “you sounded the death knell for terrorism and extremists who destroy and never build, who kill and never nurture, who want to tear down the society now and never build for the future.”

Although Kelly was appreciative for the decline in casualties during I MEF (Fwd)’s time in Iraq, he solemnly reflected on those 28 Marines and soldiers who lost their lives in 2008 under his command.

“What makes me eternally grateful is the relatively small number of American soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines I have lost in comparison to what it was like in my previous two tours,” Kelly commented. “I think of [our fallen] every day, and I will think of them for the rest of my life. I will never forget them and their loved ones.”

After Kelly’s remarks, Tryon and Sgt. Maj. Kip Carpenter, the sergeant major of II MEF (Fwd), moved to the stage to uncase the II MEF (Fwd) organizational colors, symbolizing their assumption of command aboard the base and throughout Al Anbar province.

“To Major General Kelly, a longtime friend and running mate – congratulations on a successful deployment,” began Tryon, a former enlisted sailor who graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1975 to become a career Marine infantry officer. “The many meaningful contributions you and your team have made during this past year have absolutely set the conditions for success, and we will continue to march.”

Attending the ceremony were a number of high-ranking Iraqi tribal, military and political officials, and several Marine general officers, including Gen. James F. Amos, the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, Lt. Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., the deputy commandant for Plans, Policies, and Operations at Headquarters Marine Corps, and Maj. Gen. Paul Lefebvre, the deputy commanding general of MNC-I.

“Today we turn the page and begin to write a new chapter in Operation Iraqi Freedom,” Tryon continued, “and as we do so, we will go forward with honor, courage, and commitment, and we will accomplish our mission.”

To do so, Tryon will be assisted by Brig. Gen. John E. Wissler, who serves as his deputy commanding general. The boots on the ground for MNF-W will be provided by Regimental Combat Teams 6 and 8, the 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward), and a number of U.S. Army, Iraqi and Coalition units.

“We will demonstrate by our actions to the people of Anbar and Iraq that there is truly no better friend than those Marines, sailors, soldiers, airmen and civilians of MNF-W.”

Ellie