PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear about this? Air Force rolling over weapons in Iraq?

Achped
02-10-09, 04:29 AM
I heard on the AFN radio that the Air Force is deciding to roll-over weapons to the incoming units, including personal weapons like M16s and M9s...So instead of bringing them back to their base, they will leave them here, and instead of bringing weapons to Iraq, they will get them here.

I'll look for an article for proof. They said it was a cost saving measure.

I don't know about you guys but my rifle is my rifle, and my replacements aren't getting my rifle. I guess its just a difference between branches. To them its just the weapon they have to lug around the flight line, to us it is our rifle.

Pete0331
02-10-09, 05:59 AM
I heard on the AFN radio that the Air Force is deciding to roll-over weapons to the incoming units, including personal weapons like M16s and M9s...So instead of bringing them back to their base, they will leave them here, and instead of bringing weapons to Iraq, they will get them here.

I'll look for an article for proof. They said it was a cost saving measure.

I don't know about you guys but my rifle is my rifle, and my replacements aren't getting my rifle. I guess its just a difference between branches. To them its just the weapon they have to lug around the flight line, to us it is our rifle.

Horrible idea.
There are so many aspects of this that are wrong.

I don't see the AF keeping those weapons serviceable.
Long term it will cost more to replace the weapons, because the AF doesn't take weapons maintenance as seriously as the USMC.

The mindset is wrong.
If a weapon is just there to comply with camp regs, why carry it at all?
If you're a mail clerk or helo-fixxer-guy who never leaves the wire, why even have a weapon in the first place?

Airman W.B. Yonder just carries it to the DFAC and back in his Miami Vice holster.
What's the point.