PDA

View Full Version : A little frustrated

CRASH CORPORAL
02-09-09, 09:23 PM
I've been trying for over a year now to get back in to the CORPS. I started out with a prior service recruiter and got a pakage sent to headquarters M.C. to go into the reserves. I recently started contemplating the idea of going back to active duty and i seem to be getting the run around. I dont get calls returned from staff nco's. No one seems to know thier left from right. I get comflicting stories about how hard or how easy it should be to get me back in. Im in shape
(not round) I can pass a pft , havent been in any significant trouble that would prevent anyone from getting in to begin with. I dont get it!! Im aware of the Marine Corps policy of "hurry up and wait". Im ready willing and able to wear the uniform again. I know i could be an even better marine now. I got out as a corporal and was never in andy trouble (got a good conduct mdl). whats the problem. Am i missing something ? :mad:

CBRN5711Tech
02-09-09, 09:30 PM
The way are economy is, no one wants to get out. So there is no huge need to fill numbers. Some MOSs are closing out for re-enlistment. Also the recruiter you are with might have already exceeded his numbers so he may not need you. You might want to try a different one.

CRASH CORPORAL
02-09-09, 09:35 PM
good point. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind

CRASH CORPORAL
02-10-09, 12:07 PM
Anybody Else?

richerich
02-10-09, 12:21 PM
You may know, if you want to go active--you see any regular Marine recruiter.

If you want Reserves, you must see a Prior Service Recruiter, and they tend to be hard to get a hold of, and don't really want to work difficult packages...kind of a take it or leave it thing.

I say try another regular recruiter, if you want to go active.

CRASH CORPORAL
02-10-09, 01:53 PM
Ive spoken to two regular recruiters . One just hasnt cointacted me again, the other said he contacted the prior service recruiter to try to get a hold of my package. How long should i wait before I contact them again? should i try to pick up my package and hand deliver it? you think that would be possible?

richerich
02-10-09, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure what package you are referring to. Do you have your DD-214? (It will have your RE code and discharge info) That's your first step. <br />
<br />
Whatever you can do, is showing initiative. Keep...

CRASH CORPORAL
02-10-09, 03:40 PM
I got my entire service record on a CD from headquarter all my info is in there. The package im refering to is the package that was sent up to HQ by the prior service recruiter that was helping me. Ive been persistant with the recruiters. I want them to want to help me so Im trying not to become a "pest". you know what I mean?

richerich
02-10-09, 04:22 PM
I hear ya, waiting sucks. Since you put in the package w/Prior Service Recruiter to go Reserve, maybe that's why the regular recruiters won't return your calls. Maybe their hands are tied? I would keep calling. Good luck, keep us posted.

CRASH CORPORAL
02-10-09, 08:01 PM
Well I asked my PSR if it would cause any problems and he said it wouldnt. He actually gave me the name of another staff nco on the regular recruiter side whom he said would be able to help me and was experienced at this sort of thing but, in two calls to him, I have spoken to him a total of maybe 30 seconds. I'll keep trying. If anyone else has any thought or suggestions feel free to post.

CBRN5711Tech
02-10-09, 08:10 PM
Don't stop calling them. You should be a pest. They will eventually help you if you are calling them everyday asking why they haven't helped you yet. Seriously harass them until you get what you want.

CRASH CORPORAL
02-11-09, 02:02 PM
I called my PSR today as well as the regular recruiter whom I had spoken to today. The reg recruiter hasnt goten a reply from the PSR. I called and left a message for the psr saying that I would pick up tha paperwork and deilver it to the recruiter myself. Im starting to thing the psr is putting me off in hopes the package comes through and he gtes credit for me.

Twitchell
02-11-09, 08:36 PM
Corporal, I'm going through the same thing right now. There is finally a recruiter in my town that is willing to try to help me. If I find out anything helpful I will let you know.

GSEMarine94
02-12-09, 08:01 AM
Have you tried your local reserve unit? I remember when I had to report for IRR at my local reserve unit they would have a career jammer as part of their active duty personal. They maybe able to help as well.

hempstead56
02-12-09, 01:36 PM
I spoke to a Prior Service Recruiter in NY where I am moving to. He was all about helping me out. He took me step by step on what could happen with every scenario after my shoulder heals up. Does anyone know what pages out of your SRB should you need when reenlisting? Just talking to him motivated the $hit outta me!!!

CRASH CORPORAL
02-12-09, 01:39 PM
Well today I picked up my package from the PSR that was helpingme and hand delivered it to an active duty recruiter about 30 minutes from my house. He immediately started diong my paperwork. There was lcpl at the office he had recently helped get back in after being out for 5 years. That was very encouraging. Now I have to go do my physical all over again and thats it .....THE BALL IS IN MOTION. once I get the physical done , the sgt said it could take a month or two. After waiting over a year I can handle a month or two. Im sooo excited , I cant wait to be with my brothers and sisters in the corps again. OOOOOOOOOOOH RAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

richerich
02-12-09, 01:41 PM
Congrats!!! Some things are worth the wait!

Twitchell
02-12-09, 01:54 PM
Outstanding Cpl. Good for you...... damn I'm jealous!

NoRemorse
02-12-09, 02:04 PM
I'm jealous too but happy for ya, Cpl.

Semper Fi:flag:

CRASH CORPORAL
03-19-09, 02:04 PM
Some things dont change. I got up this morning at 0 dark 30 to take the 30 minute trip to MEPS in Miami all was well (although I must admit it felt kinda wierd being in line with future recruits)...

GSEMarine94
03-19-09, 07:41 PM
Recruitment numbers are thru the roof, I'm getting in to the Guard and just found out that they as well as the Army has immediately stopped allowing enlistments of anyone over the age of 35 (use to be 42 till Monday). I will keep hoping the best for you, but as the SSGT said better to know exactly what your up against.

CRASH CORPORAL
03-23-09, 03:52 PM
The thought of being so close and it not happen makes me ill. We'll see what happens.

Supersquishy
04-17-09, 08:24 AM
Any news yet?
What MOS are you trying to get?
Who was your Prior enlisted Recruiter?

Supersquishy
04-17-09, 08:34 AM
Also, does anyone know of a good thread or sticky about the necessary steps on getting back in after a break in service? I know the firts step is to talk to a prior service recruiter, just need to know the rest of the steps to take.....Knowledge is Power so the saying goes.
Thanks.

NoRemorse
04-17-09, 08:39 AM
Don't think there's a Sticky but SSgt Petzold runs a "how to get back in... redux" thread that handles these types of questions.

retread09
04-19-09, 09:24 PM
The thought of being so close and it not happen makes me ill. We'll see what happens.
Long time no hear...so yay or nay??