PDA

View Full Version : Female Marines in Combat

duarte
02-09-09, 06:03 PM
Marines I have a question if I may.. It's about Female Marines in the combat zone. See on TV a long time ago I watched a news report about Female Marines in combat or something of that sort.. I can"t recall exactly what was said in this news report because it was a while back ago, but now in my English 12 class I'm supposed to present information about this, and I thought, who better to ask than real Marines? Can someone please enlighten me about this topic, but not with an M-16 (:p).. I would greatly appreciate it..

GySgtRet
02-09-09, 06:13 PM
In response to you question. I am not sure of the time frame but Women Marines have been assigned to security detail in combat zones to assist in the search of female combatants. Several Woman Marines have been badly burned in insergent attacks in the past few years. Leatherneck had a article about this. I think this is when the Marine Corps went into Fallujah in 2003-2004. Or around this timeframe.

Gunny out
:usmc:

duarte
02-09-09, 06:31 PM
Roger, Gunny!
I will look around the internet for more information on this... if anyone would like to add more to the info above feel free to do so... Lord knows I will need as much help as i can get

commdog7
02-09-09, 06:39 PM
With no real frontline in Iraq and Afghanistan, female Marines do occassionally experience combat. Many Female Marines have volunteered to search Iraqi women at checkpoints, as males can't search females without disrespecting the Muslim culture. Women Marines have also participated in convoys, some of which have been ambushed or be involved in an IED (Improvised Explosive Devise) attack. Although generally not openly allowed in the Corps, female Marines have acted as machine gunners during convoy missions. I knew a female Marine that was acting as a gunner for a 7-ton (big truck) which was hit by an IED, it happens (she survived by the way, with minor injuries). That's about the extent of female Marines in combat, although I may have missed something.

duarte
02-09-09, 06:48 PM
Roger, Sergeant!
I will take notes of this and explain the class.

PaidinBlood
02-09-09, 07:01 PM
Man a subject like that is bound to get someone here in trouble! :D Make sure y'all have your PPE on!

http://www.worldmag.com/images/content/piper2.jpg

Achped
02-10-09, 04:19 AM
Female Marines in a combat zone...

Hmm, to compare it I would say go to a college frat party and examine the way the girls act there. Now imagine if there were 500 guys locked in that party and no way out for 7 months and there were 15 girls that wanted it just as bad as the guys did.

I witnessed a group of 3 females playing a joke on a male Marine by hiding behind some HESCOs by a chow hall on Al Asad and jumping on him as he walked by. Mother****er I swear to God if someone jumps on my back out here they are going to get stabbed immediately. God that irritated the **** out of me.

okay im done ranting...

Pete0331
02-10-09, 06:06 AM
Female Marines in a combat zone...

Hmm, to compare it I would say go to a college frat party and examine the way the girls act there. Now imagine if there were 500 guys locked in that party and no way out for 7 months and there were 15 girls that wanted it just as bad as the guys did.

I witnessed a group of 3 females playing a joke on a male Marine by hiding behind some HESCOs by a chow hall on Al Asad and jumping on him as he walked by. Mother****er I swear to God if someone jumps on my back out here they are going to get stabbed immediately. God that irritated the **** out of me.

okay im done ranting...

Read the studies done by the IDF on integrated infantry units.

Females can be detrimental to mission accomplishment when in combat units.

candi
02-10-09, 06:39 AM
Read the studies done by the IDF on integrated infantry units.

Females can be detrimental to mission accomplishment when in combat units.

<snort>

Please.

So can any male idiot...not all us women are 'the stereotype' thank you very much.

This isn't a request for opinions, this was a request for information.

A somewhat interesting series at npr.org on women in the military...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14869648

In article that outlines a (very) little bit what women have been contributing in Afghanistan and Iraq.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/06/25/women.combat/

Good luck with your project.

Quinbo
02-10-09, 06:53 AM
I thought I had a scary picture in my profile .... I'm running like a scalded dog and hiding under the bed. I'm then gonna take bleach to my eyeballs and get a new monitor for my computer.

Pete0331
02-10-09, 07:01 AM
<snort>

Please.

So can any male idiot...not all us women are 'the stereotype' thank you very much.

This isn't a request for opinions, this was a request for information.

I will elaborate then.

In the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, Israel had fully integrated units.
It was found that when a review of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War showed how harmful their presence could be. The study revealed that men tried to protect and assist women rather than continue their attack. As a result, they not only put their own lives in greater danger, but also jeopardized the survival of the entire unit. The study further revealed that unit morale was damaged when men saw women killed and maimed on the battlefield.

Russia's "Women's battalion of death" in WWI was a propaganda tool for the military and was also used as a way of shaming the battle weary all male units.
In WWII, Russia used conscripted women again, but only because of the severe lack of available ground troops.

0231Marine
02-10-09, 07:04 AM
The lioness program (putting females Marines at check points and ECPs to search females) began in late 2004 in Fallujah. It has been around since then and has been a big success.

I know a certain female Marine (my wife) who convoyed across Ramadi several times to give Intel briefings to Army units there when Ramadi was the sh!t hole of the universe. She also worked in the detention facility for about 3 months and sat in on interrogations in order to provide our interrogators with information on the detainees.

You won't find female Marines doing patrols on foot or living with infantry units but they do convoy a lot and because of that, there will always be a small percentage that are going to see some form of combat, be it direct fire, indirect fire or an IED.

Regardless, in my experience, female Marines have been a big success down at the lower echelon units and have provided a needed skill set to aid in the searching of muslim women.

candi
02-10-09, 07:13 AM
I will elaborate then.

In the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, Israel had fully integrated units.
It was found that when a review of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War showed how harmful their presence could be. The study revealed that men tried to protect and assist women rather than continue their attack. As a result, they not only put their own lives in greater danger, but also jeopardized the survival of the entire unit. The study further revealed that unit morale was damaged when men saw women killed and maimed on the battlefield.

Russia's "Women's battalion of death" in WWI was a propaganda tool for the military and was also used as a way of shaming the battle weary all male units.
In WWII, Russia used conscripted women again, but only because of the severe lack of available ground troops.

So, basically, what you are telling me is that...once again, some men decided to do something stupid...and it was the women's fault.
Figures. :thumbdown

sparkie
02-10-09, 07:42 AM
If a man says something in the forrest, and no woman is there to hear it,,,,,is he still wrong?

Pete0331
02-10-09, 07:45 AM
So, basically, what you are telling me is that...once again, some men decided to do something stupid...and it was the women's fault.
Figures. :thumbdown

Would the situation have been different had she not been there?

I don't see the need in also debating you on the physical limitations when compared to men.

No, I am not against women in the military, but if I ever see females in the infantry I will move to Vietnam and call myself a Communist.

commdog7
02-10-09, 07:45 AM
Everyone has their own opinions on whether or not women should be allowed to integrate with infantry units. I doubt anything I or anyone says will convince someone one way or the other, so I won't even bother with that minefield. But what I will say is that the majority of female Marines are disciplined and not that typical sterotype. I don't know what the hell Achped has seen, but that's not what female Marines are all about. Women Marines who act like sluts are a disgrace to us all. Although there is only a small number of female Marines who would be classified as sluts, for some reason they are the one's you hear about the most. Male Marines rarely talk about the female Marines who work hard and earn their respect, but they are more than willing to talk about the sluts or females who are a negative influence. That's why the infantry Marines are so out of touch with what female Marines are all about. That statement is not entirely fair, some infantry Marines understand the sterotype and keep an open mind- those are the one's who have my respect. I am smart enough to know that my words alone will not change your mentality, you have to see it for yourself (and I sincerelly hope that you do). I will not lie and tell you all that there are no sluts in the Corps, but I will tell you that there are a lot of good female Mairnes out there who deserve a fair chance in earning your respect.

Thanks again 0231Marine for standing up for what you believe, even if you are standing alone amongst your peers. I also want to apologize to duarte for shifting this post off the original topic.

Petz
02-10-09, 07:53 AM
Would the situation have been different had she not been there?

I don't see the need in also debating you on the physical limitations when compared to men.

No, I am not against women in the military, but if I ever see females in the infantry I will move to Vietnam and call myself a Communist.

have you by chance seen the women in the isreali army now??? I think they have a bigger penis than you pete......

Quinbo
02-10-09, 07:55 AM
When I was stationed at San Meteo there was not a single female on camp. Not in the PX not in the barbershop none ... zero zipp. None ... didn't want them nasty grunts to get anything closer than a inflatable matress and a bottle of hand lotion.

I've been on this site for a few years now and it seems like every February this same topic pops up and the same responses are given. I'm hoping strawberry doesn't kick me in the nuts.

Petz
02-10-09, 07:58 AM
I saw one similar last month.... it must be someone just trying to start sh!t.....