PDA

View Full Version : What its like to be a Marine reservist.

RyanD21
02-09-09, 02:01 PM
How you doing Marines, my names Ryan, and im 21 years old. Im from northern New Jersey, and have always had a dream to be a Marine. Ever since i saw a friend of mine come back from boot camp, and saw the respect he got from his peers it was something i wanted to see myself doing. I talked to a recruiter about a year, but had a lot of important familly obligations coming up when i would have went to boot camp, and decided it just wasnt the right time.

Ive since began thinking about this again and would really love to give it a shot, But i think i would Enjoy being a reservist. I would still be able to be around familly, volunteer at my FD, etc etc, and be able to hold the title of a Marine possibly.

My question really is whats it like being in the reserves? are the MOS any diferent? are you looked down upon for not being a full active duty Marine? I understand becasue of the crisis our country is in at some point i would probobly be called for active duty, which would be fine by me. But im just looking for some insight and maybe a kick in the But to get down to the recruiters again and make an Atempt at trying to earn the title of a US Marine.

NoRemorse
02-09-09, 02:03 PM
Fill out your profile, read the sticky's at the top of the forums and search through the different threads available.

Those are some of the rules for this site and if you want answers I'd suggest you get squared away as quick as possible.

RyanD21
02-09-09, 02:11 PM
My apologies, i filled out my profile now, and have been searching through threads for a few days, and just couldnt find much on life in the Reserves

PaidinBlood
02-09-09, 03:58 PM
Never been a reservist but I got your kick in the as$ right here!
http://kickassbands.com/images/KickAssLogo.gif
Good luck to you..:thumbup:

giveen
02-09-09, 03:59 PM
The only thing I know is promotions are different.

PaidinBlood
02-09-09, 04:21 PM
Maybe this says it clearer.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-09-09, 08:09 PM
I spent some time in the Reserves after I left active duty. It is NOT the same thing. You simply don't have the tight knit relationships you have with the people in your unit on active duty. And the level of skill isn't the same. No matter how hard you train for 2.5 days a month, it isn't the same as doing it for 30 days.

That said, if you're thinking about being a reservist of some sort, the Marine Corps Reserve is the place to be.

RyanD21
02-09-09, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies Marines, i appreciate it. I gues what it boils down to is, im kind of afraid of Active duty at the moment, being away from familly, friends, my Fire dept. All things i love, and I know they wouldnt go away, but just on hold for a while. But i have this funny feeling ill more likely then not love being a marine and would want to switch over, but im getting way to far ahead of myself.

But if anybody has anything more on reserve life, how often do they get called upon to deploy, How does the whole one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year thing operate, anything at all that i may be interested to know, sry to be younge and nieve but i was always raised to ask questions if you wanted answers, and im just looking for some information.

SgtThrasher
02-09-09, 10:08 PM
Maybe this says it clearer.

That picture brother ,say's it all!

PaidinBlood
02-09-09, 11:09 PM
Not trying to put ya down, and I wish you the best in whatever you do, but just remember we need fresh blood-constantly. Your family ain't goin nowhere-go active. The first year or two will drag and then it will zip by.

crazymjb
02-10-09, 09:24 PM
In terms of what is expected of you, you show up your 2-3 days a month, do your time, and go back to being a civilian (correction, you are always a Marine, but you go back to your civilian life) the rest of the month. If something comes up that will require you to miss a drill you need to notify your chain of command as soon as possible. Depending on your MOS you will do different things on your drill time. You can also volunteer/be voluntold to do funeral duty and augmentees (deploying with a different unit). Actual combat deployments are approximately every 4 years now, at least for my unit. Over the summers you will have an AT, again what you do depends on your MOS. My unit will be going to the Ukraine this July to train with other countries.

Some reserve units are run stricter than others. Mine is strict about the Marines holding true to their commitments, and has a good reputation. On the other hand, at my girlfriends unit I met a Lcpl who bragged that he had been UA for 5 months and hadn't lost any rank or pay, and another who tried to give a lesson on how to avoid popping on the drug tests. Fortunately, my unit has a lot of combat experienced Marines, including pretty much all the Corporals and above (my friend was telling me his active unit were all virgins), and 30+ guys are augmenting with another unit right now. They are also serious about MCIs, and furthering our studies and abilities outside the Marine Corps.

If you dont not have a family, are not going to school, or are not working on a CAREER, not just a job, I would recommend going active. That said, the reserves are excellent, but you must put fourth the extra effort to maintain yourself well above standards, and get the most you can out of your limited drill time.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Mike