PDA

View Full Version : A-Roid

jetdawgg
02-09-09, 10:17 AM
An embattled Alex Rodriguez last night huddled with his longtime mentor, his once-estranged agent, Scott Boras, as the Yankee superstar prepared to face the music after being exposed as a steroids user.

The move came after A-Rod returned to the United States from a short trip to the Bahamas amid a chorus of demands that he come clean and admit to using performance-enhancing drugs in 2003.

"If he tries to fight this, he is done," said LA Dodgers third-base coach Larry Bowa, who was close to Rodriguez when Bowa had the same job with the Yankees.

The revelation Saturday on Sports Illustrated's Web site that Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids as a Texas Ranger in 2003 is just the latest - and by far the worst - controversy the star third baseman has sparked since becoming a Yankee five years ago with a $252 million contract.

On the ball field, A-Rod has posted MVP statistics that put him on track to one day become baseball's home-run record holder.

But the 33-year-old also has become known as a choke artist in the postseason.

A new book by former Yankee manager Joe Torre says Rodriguez was called "A-Fraud" by teammates. It also claims he was obsessed with his image in a clubhouse dominated by his one-time pal Derek Jeter.
Off the field, Rodriguez has drawn heat for publicly stepping out on his wife with busty stripper Joslyn Morse in 2007, and splitting with Cynthia Rodriguez last year as it was revealed he was keeping time with pop icon Madonna.

Richard Emery, a lawyer for steroids whistleblower and former Roger Clemens trainer Brian McNamee, wasn't surprised to hear Rodriguez had used steroids.

"[For] anyone who cares about his performance as much as Rodriguez, it's just too tempting," Emery said.

He added that A-Rod "should tell the truth" - just as fellow Yankee Andy Pettitte did last year about using human growth hormone.

"He put it behind him," Emery said of Pettitte.

Bowa said that although A-Rod has not let headlines about his private life affect his on-field play, the disclosure that he used steroids could do just that.

"Because he's sensitive," Bowa said. "This will be different, because people will judge all his homers as tainted. That's not fair, because he has been tested" since 2003.

To protect what is left of his image, A-Rod has turned over handling of the response to the steroids scandal to Boras, the agent who has mentored him since he was 18.

The two had a falling-out in late 2007 after word leaked during the World Series that A-Rod would opt out of the last years of his Yankee contract to become a free agent.

The duo since has reconciled, but Rodriguez has been relying on guidance from Madonna's manager, Guy Oseary.

Boras told The Post yesterday, "I spoke with him [Saturday] night and will speak to him tonight," meaning last night.

An A-Rod friend said he is better off listening to Boras than Oseary.
"I feel like he needs help with stuff right now," the friend said. "When they were a tandem, there was more good than bad. For a little while now, it's been one nightmare after another."

The Yankees had no comment.

The Players' Association, which has been blasted for failing to destroy the 2003 test results when it could have, likewise was mum. On Saturday, the union denied SI.com's report that union Chief Operating Officer Gene Orza tipped off A-Rod to an imminent steroid test in 2004.

george.king@nypost.com (george.king@nypost.com)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02092009/news/regionalnews/panicked_a_rod_in_crisis_mode_154208.htm

http://bigpapadaddy.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/arod20slap.jpg
http://images.smarter.com/blogs/arod2.jpg

giveen
02-09-09, 12:17 PM
Do people even watch baseball anymore?
I stopped after the Strike, since it proved that all they really care about is money and not the love of the game.

DocGreek
02-09-09, 12:33 PM
DAWGG.....Remember the THREAD about Common Sense?? Your Signature tells it like it is!! Humans without self discipline equates to CHAOS!!....ALWAYS FAITHFUL....Doc Greek

thewookie
02-09-09, 03:19 PM
:yes:Ooooh, I can't wait for his first visit to Fenway: It's gonna be great! :yes:

Nice purse for that little cheating biotch......

DROD
02-09-09, 05:25 PM
I think we all will be shocked when we see the other 104 names in the report.

thewookie
02-09-09, 06:28 PM
I think we all will be shocked when we see the other 104 names in the report.

I get your point, but I think you're gonna see a lot of journeymen and nobodies, as much as you're going to see more heavy hitters.

Talk about being double crossed - MLB as an organization should be ashamed of themselves considering that they couldn't clean up their own act. They purposely and perhaps, illegally, leaked very private information. And, now the ALMIGHTY press will condemn them all, bad way to handle your business if you ask me.

I think the problem is much worse then the Mitchell report or any other report that MLB sponsored could really tell you. Personally, I think PED's are more of an issue in ALL sports then anyone really cares to know.

Baseball in particular has no integrity. I love it, and I will continue to pay good money to sit in Fenway and other parks. But, the days of considering pro-baseball or any pro-athlete my hero or a role model is over. They are paid performers who will do whatever it takes to earn a living.

Wouldn't you?

Mareen
02-10-09, 11:15 AM
Thewookie,

You are right. They allow this to happen, why not police their own. Steroids have been sports for decades and all of a sudden it's a shock when someone new is busted every 6 months. We know that they aren't all natural. Just like the WWE, but they know how to handle stuff in-house. Hell, I bet Vince McMahon is probably on roids himself. Yeah steroids are bad if you take them blah blah blah. It only allows him to hit the ball a few extra feet if that. He still has to line up the bat, time the swing, you know the rest. Steroids and boxing....a big problem. Steroids and wrestling...dangerous to opponents as well. Steroids in Baseball is like taking steroids to play Chess. I understand if a old man wants to get back to throwing 100 mphers, but a great player taking them for what?

jetdawgg
02-13-09, 11:05 AM
http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/13/20080109-A-Roid%20Book.jpg