PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a Marine aviator - any advice?

DeusExMachina
02-08-09, 02:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am Tom Ward, a 22 year old student of mechanical engineering at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston. I am a senior with a 3.156 GPA. I have better than 20/20 vision.

I am interested in becoming a Marine aviator. I understand this is an extremely competitive field. I would appreciate any advice on what I can do to improve my chances of getting selected.

My basic plan is to study hard for the ASVAB and work on improving my GPA. I am also working out and running to get into good physical condition. I contacted a recruiter on Friday and asked to speak to an Officer Selection Officer, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Is there anything else that I should be doing? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone,

T. M. Q. W. II

rvillac2
02-08-09, 03:27 PM
Go to MarineOCS.com to get more info. You can call your local MEPS directly and ask to speak to an OSO. You could also check your college to see if there is an NROTC program. If there is, there is an OSO affiliated with them.
Your best bet is to apply for PLC and get a gauranteed aviation contract.
Note that 20/20 vision isn't the only medical disqualifier for flight.

You didn't mention your physical fitness. You should be 1st class to be competitive.
Your gpa is good.

Donut Brigade
02-08-09, 08:19 PM
You have to go through a 6 week school in Pensacola. I'd imagine it would be pretty damn close to aircrew school that I went through. Be a GREAT swimmer and PFTer, and be prepared to do 5 mile beach runs in addition to PFTs twice a week.

In aircrew we had to learn proper swimming techniques, threading water will full gear, swim a mile in a flightsuit, get picked up by a seahawk, and exit a helicopter that will do a 180 in the pool in a matter of seconds. Then you do it blindfolded. Just to give you a taste.

Don't forget thats aircrews not aviators.

JimmyK
02-08-09, 08:47 PM
www.airwarriors.com is the internet's best source for information on becoming a Naval Aviator(Marine Corps pilots are Naval Aviators).

DeusExMachina
02-09-09, 06:40 PM
Thanks everyone.

rvillac2, There is not a NROTC program at my school, just army. I'm 5'8 and weigh 180 lbs. The weight is both muscle and fat as I work out a lot but also eat a lot of junk food. Recently I started adding more cardio to my routine (as previously there wasn't much) and eating better. My fitness has been improving rapidly as I have intensified my routine, but I’m not in Marine shape yet…

Donut Brigade, That sounds pretty intense. I'll definitely have to improve my physical condition.

Jimmy K, I'll be sure to check it out.

Another concern is whether or not I have enough extracurricular activities to be selected as an officer. My one major activity is that I mentor high school kids in robotics competitions. Also, should I be ready to ship when I apply? I won't get my degree until December, after spring and summer semesters and mandatory fall internship.