PDA

View Full Version : Chu Lai mid 60's?

greybeard
06-21-03, 01:03 PM
Anyone who was at ChuLai in the mid 60's please email me. I have a photo that needs identifying.
Thanks

Sparrowhawk
06-21-03, 02:02 PM
At the hospital there, but don't remember much.

I guess or was told it was an Army hospital? Had a friend at the Marine Corps air station there, have a picture of him with a hanger in the background, but that's about all I remember.

I do recall an NCOs club and a supply shack that may have belonged to the Air Force that we broke into to borrow some of their camouflaged utilities. LOL

Ploft
06-21-03, 06:59 PM
Chu Lai with the wing VMFA 323 65-66-67

bray23it@attbi.com

Ploft
Sgt. 58-68

greybeard
06-21-03, 09:03 PM
Ploft-do you recognize either of these pics? The 1st is possibly Chu Lai, Ky Ha or Qui Nhon, mid 60's.

greybeard
06-21-03, 09:05 PM
I tried to email you but my email program did not recognize the address you posted for some reason. Here's the other picture-possibly a special forces camp? Doesn't look like a USMC firebase to me. The buildings look too close to perimeter. They were originally posted @ Popasmoke.com, a haven for Vietnam Marine Helo people. Pretty good place to find your squadron mates.

badbob
06-21-03, 11:56 PM
Beard, I was with Lima 3/3 at Chu Lai from shortly after Op Starlite 65 to right after MAG 16 got hit in late October 65.

The 1st photo looks like Chu Lai, I remember the hill and when the monsoon rains started we were forced to move the tents farther uphill because of ponding water. We moved the (USS Mess Hall) as we called it, several times in one week.

The second photo looks like the Army Detachments base on the north perimeter of the Air base, but I'm sure it's an army base because of it's clearly recognizable pentagon perimeter.

Best I can do on short notice

Semper Fi,
Bob

Ploft
06-22-03, 10:13 AM
Beard:
1st. photo could be Chu Lai, Don't know on second. I was in the aera nere the Seebee's Just off the flight line, You have to remember that was 38 years ago.

Ploft

greybeard
06-22-03, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys. I'll pass this info along to Popsmoke.

How well I understand the 38 yrs part Ploft. How many times did I fly into Ross, Ryder, Baldy etc. Wouldn't recognize a pic of any of them if I saw it. Well, maybe LZ Baldy. Now, Sophia- Sophia East-I'll always recognize those. :(

Great website BadBob. I'd almost forgotten about Robert Garwood. I'm gonna have to do some more reading.

greensideout
06-22-03, 08:23 PM
greybeard,

This may be a stupid comment because you may already know, but the photo is marked with:

"firebase65mm363"

greensideout
06-22-03, 08:58 PM
greybeard,

I meant to say the second photo was marked as such, not the tent camp.

greybeard
06-22-03, 09:02 PM
I believe that is the name given by the person who scanned it & means
firebase
?? maybe the squadron he was flying with-hmm363

greensideout
06-22-03, 09:09 PM
Maybe, but I thought that HMM-363 was there in 1963?
The first time perhaps.

The SF camps I saw were a triangle in shape.

greybeard
06-22-03, 09:51 PM
Hard to say, the guy litteraly has thousands of pics he's been given and is trying to go thru some of them. Some are marked, some are not.

The SF camps up north were triangle shaped, but I've seen some down south that were diamond or pentagonal. This one's strange, but seems I remember flying over one like it down south of Chu Lai in '70. I kinda think this one is near Lane Army heloport. Can't imagine why the buildings on the left were placed so close to the perimeter tho.

F4Winger
07-07-03, 12:23 PM
Got to Chu Lai early '67 with VMFA 115. Didn't get to see too much, we worked 12 hr days 7 days a week. Then we had guard duty out on the runway behind the Americal Div.

benny rutledge
07-12-03, 12:49 PM
:marine: :marine: Hey greybeard,I was at Chu Lai later(69) but if you go to firstmaw.homestead.com there are those there that can help.Or E-Mail Bob Tate (OIC H&MS 12 paraloft 66/67) He has posted some nice shots of Chu Lai and his E-Mail is bobtate@AOL.Com. Semper Fi!! Good Luck