PDA

View Full Version : Gunner..any fun facts?

Seyborg
02-07-09, 12:30 PM
Any Machine Gunners out there?

I was wondering if anyone knew any fun facts about the m240, . 50, or the mark?

I got the general knowledge and even advanced knowledge..but I'm making a wall of knowledge so to speak in my room and I wanted to put up some fun facts like the .50 cal will dislocate your shoulder if shot within a foot of your shoulder. (thats what I heard)

stuff like that.

Just trying to make it look cooler and all that jazz.

thanks

seybert

Pete0331
02-07-09, 01:15 PM
I wanted to put up some fun facts like the .50 cal will dislocate your shoulder if shot within a foot of your shoulder. (thats what I heard)

I can tell you right now, that is not true.

Seyborg
02-07-09, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I figured. I just wanted to use that as an example.

JohnEaceHunt
02-07-09, 03:31 PM
There are 50 cal. sniper Rifles now that will make a human torso explode from 1.4-5 miles away. It has no more re-coil than a 30-06. I have the clip of it. There is now a 40 mm sniper weapon as well, that will blow the top half of the body completely off. Very clean too, I might say.

Seyborg
02-07-09, 03:36 PM
Thats what I'm talking about....

excellent

WKranz
02-07-09, 03:46 PM
you should call your wall of knowledge your walledge. that just occured to me.

the 50 cal is super heavy, when you put that on your wall, i want credit for it.

Seyborg
02-07-09, 03:47 PM
:( Yeah I know that! I humped that **** yesterday lol. Sucks.

COME ON PEOPLE. COOL STUFF YO

lol

JohnEaceHunt
02-07-09, 03:56 PM
Justin,check your messages, and mail it to me.

Petz
02-07-09, 04:48 PM
the .50 cal can cut a man in half when he is sideways to the muzzle.

the mark can blow someone up.

the 240G fires a .308 round.

the 240G is not meant to be fired when not mounted (no shoulder firing or from the hip)

the .50 cal is being replaced with a .50 cal that shoots more than twice as fast (1100 rpm)

the .50 cal needs to be timed correctly or it will kill you when the round explodes depending on your sitting position.

the 240G needs to have it's gas piston cleaned properly with the scraping tools provided in the cleaning kit or it will have extremely sluggish firing rates or will jam after the first round, effectively becoming a .308 rifle.

an ACOG on the 240B makes you look like you don't know what you are doing.

a run-away mark-19 makes for a fun day.

watching someone try to break the links of a run-away .50 cal is funny, as long as they don't swing the weapon in your direction.

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 04:56 PM
When the long axis of the target coincides or nearly coincides with the long axis of the beaten zone it is called enfilade fire.

Enfilade fire is a machine gunners wet dream

There is nothing sweeter than talking guns.

Mission of the machine gun is to support the forward advance of the rifle platoons.

Petz
02-07-09, 04:57 PM
and when it's mounted on a vehicle?

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 04:58 PM
Provide a base a fire to advance or supress.

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 05:05 PM
A 240 will provide over 60% of the firepower in a firefight. You try to gain fire superiority within the first few moments of an engagment by delivering an overwhelming volume of fires on target.

If you have 2 guns things you want to remember

Interlock the fields of fire. ( Go 2 mils out and 2mils in)

Talking Guns.( Conserve ammunition and allow for continued suppression when changing barrels or reloading)

Our pigs can reach out and touch someone. Pick your deep targets and move in .

DONT MILK THE F*CKING TRIGGER!!!!! Youll wear the sere down and thats how you get runaway guns.

If you do get a runaway gun don't snap the belt , unless you truly have to . You'll fuc* up the feedtray .

Wait Wait Wait ...Before you open up the cover if you have a hang-fire. Having one go off in your face really smarts.

Most Important!!!!

31's Dont fall out of no f*cking hump. You die before you give up your gun. Kill Babies.

Petz
02-07-09, 05:09 PM
Our pigs can reach out and touch someone. Pick your deep targets and move in .

great point... your enemy will think your aim sucks and when the guys behind them are not there anymore it's too late for that guy in the front.... what a tool.

there was a sharp shooter in WWI that used that approach and got some medal for it... he took out an entire platoon of advancing germans when he was the only guy left... he was so effective the germans didn't advance on his position until it was too late and he got re-enforcements.

read that in history class in 9th grade.

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 05:12 PM
Its also because a saws range and 16's range is shorter. Let them pick off the closer ones while you go outside their range and hunt.

That story was that Audy Murphy or was that WW2?

Pete0331
02-07-09, 05:14 PM
It is best to close the feed tray cover on the 240 with the bolt to the rear.
The little nipple on top the bolt (don't recall the specific name) is spring loaded.
If it breaks the gun will not feed.

Are units getting the proper BFA's for the 240's yet?
The ones we had were intended for the M-60.

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 05:17 PM
It is best to close the feed tray cover on the 240 with the bolt to the rear.
The little nipple on top the bolt (don't recall the specific name) is spring loaded.
If it breaks the gun will not feed.

Are units getting the proper BFA's for the 240's yet?
The ones we had were intended for the M-60.

I remember that ..sniper rifles ..one shot one kill.

JohnEaceHunt
02-07-09, 05:17 PM
I was smart enough NOT to even try to break the belt on any of my runaways. Pilots would go ape-sh!t, but I'd just say, 'You come back here and break it, not me', saved our as*es a number of times. I'd close the head-space on Both 50's after take off, and open them back up before landing back at base that evening. Doubled the rate of fire. Never got caught by the armourer. The 3rd '46 I had, we mounted 2 extra 50's, and a 60 on the ramp, for a dawn and dusk patrol. We would take them out for other missions during the day, but morning and early evening, we'd load them up for several hours of Gun runs. Lasted bout a month until I was shot down. Lot of GOOD Days.!! Several Squadrons would do this sometimes.

Pete0331
02-07-09, 05:19 PM
The new 240.

http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF015&gid=FNG008&mid=FNM0139

Pete0331
02-07-09, 05:23 PM
I remember that ..sniper rifles ..one shot one kill.

Yes, the worn barrels on the 240's allowed to much gas to escape out around the BFA.
If a barrel was brand new, it would work.

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 05:23 PM
Bro, that thing is fu*king sick.

Pete0331
02-07-09, 05:26 PM
Bro, that thing is fu*king sick.

Not quite the M60E3, but you can definitely see that they are trying to adapt the weapon system for better dismounted usage.

outlaw3179
02-07-09, 05:29 PM
What was the length?

Seyborg
02-07-09, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the general info guys. I knew all of it, but I like the way they were worded. lol.

That new 240 looks like it could be my best friend. I'd be a Gunny before I saw that though.

Keep it up. Likin' it.

Oh yeah, we have the right BFA's now. We NEVER use them though, because even though a Machine Gunner likes to clean his weapon (only we can do it right!) those blanks ROCK the chamber with carbon. It's a horrid mess to clean. DAYS on end at the armory.

Pete0331
02-07-09, 08:10 PM
Oh yeah, we have the right BFA's now. We NEVER use them though, because even though a Machine Gunner likes to clean his weapon (only we can do it right!) those blanks ROCK the chamber with carbon. It's a horrid mess to clean. DAYS on end at the armory.

What's the prescribed time for cleaning a 240 after firing?

Live rounds are better, but blanks are a useful tool.
Especially for the fledging PFC.

If the only reason you don't fire them is because they make the gun dirty,
there is something wrong with the mindset of your command.

Petz
02-07-09, 11:00 PM
The new 240.

http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF015&gid=FNG008&mid=FNM0139

you're not gonna see this in your first three enlistments... and even then, if there is a new one after this you'll more than likely see that one.

government spending is dropping faster than a 777 without thrust... that's not a required expense... one day you'll learn about making budgets and how they go up the chain, and what happens when they come back down... sometimes you'll never see the money you requested because a major subordinate command wanted to use it for something else...

Quinbo
02-09-09, 12:54 PM
One of the longest confirmed shots ever fired was by Carlos Hathcock on M-2 modified with a scope and shot a guy off his bicycle from over a mile away.

Pete0331
02-09-09, 04:08 PM
One of the longest confirmed shots ever fired was by Carlos Hathcock on M-2 modified with a scope and shot a guy off his bicycle from over a mile away.

That record was recently broken by a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan.

PaidinBlood
02-09-09, 05:15 PM

Someone beat me to it, but you need to manage a tactful WTF to those above you if dirtying the weapon is truly holding you back from using blanks. The added carbon should not come as a surprise (HELLO?? :D) but the uses of blanks are endless. In addition to just plain getting your team/squad SOPs down, it will be a good crawl/walk/run solution in MOUT training. When range regs or just plain ol logistics rule out live rounds, rock those blanks. Butterbutterjam gets real old real fast and doesn't provide enough of the right feedback to really get to know yourselves and your gun.

I obviously wasn't part of their success (51!) and they irritated the crap outta me but our MG section never got anything less than rave reviews at every Fing range we ever did, especially from coyotes. They would have given their left nut for chance at those BFAs.

DocGreek
02-09-09, 05:22 PM
GENTLEMEN.....I, never took a human life, unless it was "up close and personal", and then....only if personally attacked. It's a Corpsman thing!!!......DOC

PaidinBlood
02-09-09, 05:27 PM
Don't worry Doc- let the MG gorillas thin 'em out from afar and there will still be some up close and personal work to do!

Quinbo
02-09-09, 08:04 PM

Here I was thinking this thread was to be about interesting facts or trivia of machine guns. Lets go ahead and talk about the barrett

Petz
02-10-09, 07:00 AM

I highly doubt that it was with a automatic machine gun... so no that record has not been broken yet.:flag:

Bob Ash
02-24-09, 02:45 PM
there was a sharp shooter in WWI that used that approach and got some medal for it... he took out an entire platoon of advancing germans when he was the only guy left... he was so effective the germans didn't advance on his position until it was too late and he got re-enforcements. read that in history class in 9th grade.

You're thinking of Sergeant York.

There's a famous story where his position is being overrun by Germans and he starts picking them off, one by one, from the back.

He later said he wanted to get them all, and if he hit the ones in front first he was afraid they'd turn and run.

Bob Ash
02-24-09, 03:03 PM
I found the story. From Alvin York's personal diary: <br />
<br />
October 8th 1918 <br />
<br />
There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I...

Streeter
02-24-09, 04:01 PM

isn't he the same guy that supposedly shot another sniper's scope and brained him?

outlaw3179
02-24-09, 06:31 PM
isn't he the same guy that supposedly shot another sniper's scope and brained him?

ummm no .

Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock.

Streeter
02-24-09, 09:04 PM
ummm no .

Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock.

[QUOTE]One of Hathcock's most famous accomplishments was shooting an enemy sniper through his scope, hitting him in the eye and killing him.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

I don't know if it is actually true or not, but people say it is.

SGT7477
02-24-09, 09:07 PM
Read Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior, GYSGT Hathcock was the Best of the Best, RIP Gunny.

Pete0331
02-25-09, 12:35 AM
Read Marine Sniper and Silent Warrior, GYSGT Hathcock was the Best of the Best, RIP Gunny.

He certainly was the best sniper the Marine Corps had to offer.

Best of the best?
Not in my opinion.
There was a Finnish sniper with many more confirmed kills.

Gunny Hathcock did more the the Marine Corps by setting TTP's and SOP's
for snipers then he did by killing the enemy.
Certainly an amazing man and Marine though.

And that shot through the scope has been copied so many times it has lost
the affect of how amazing, and lucky, it really was.

Petz
02-25-09, 12:44 AM

Best of the best?
Not in my opinion.

well I dis-agree with your opinion (I can do that, it's my opinion too!! haha) because the number of confirmed kills doesn't make you the best... I can pluck off bad guys from a distance too if I had their skills.

what made him the best of the best was his dedication and fearlessness in some seriously messed up situations. just read both of those books mentioned above and you'll start to see what I'm talking about... I mean the guy jumped in a LAV??? that was engulfed in flames without even thinking (LSD? naw...) and saved a Marine.

The man basically made a scout sniper program the modern American military has practically adopted.

and as I re-read one of your sentences about TTPs and SOPs I guess you understand my point, but I will go back and say again that it's not all about killing the enemy... anyone can do that if they keep going out of the wire.

and don't forget gunny hathcock was wounded and never deployed again after that... let's not judge his score over a career, that would do him not justice.:iwo:

SGT7477
02-25-09, 07:00 AM

Best of the best?
Not in my opinion.

You know Gunny Hathcock also had an answer for the confirmed killls, It's not how many kills you have had as a Sniper, it's how many Marines you have saved and if you loved killing you would have to be crazy, he added the most to being a sniper even when he left our beloved Corps, RIP Gunny.

SGT7477
02-25-09, 07:03 AM
well I dis-agree with your opinion (I can do that, it's my opinion too!! haha) because the number of confirmed kills doesn't make you the best... I can pluck off bad guys from a distance too if I had their skills.

what made him the best of the best was his dedication and fearlessness in some seriously messed up situations. just read both of those books mentioned above and you'll start to see what I'm talking about... I mean the guy jumped in a LAV??? that was engulfed in flames without even thinking (LSD? naw...) and saved a Marine.

The man basically made a scout sniper program the modern American military has practically adopted.

and as I re-read one of your sentences about TTPs and SOPs I guess you understand my point, but I will go back and say again that it's not all about killing the enemy... anyone can do that if they keep going out of the wire.

and don't forget gunny hathcock was wounded and never deployed again after that... let's not judge his score over a career, that would do him not justice.:iwo:
You said it all SSGT, Semper FI.:flag: