PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Nuc, Reward Offered

PaidinBlood
02-06-09, 04:50 PM
So my buddy calls me the other day and said we all got a NUC but nobody knows from where. Rumor was "the first trip" but nobody knows the details. We were all in 3/5 for the first trip but guys from other battalions got them too. Today they vanished and the Remington Rangers (love all you guys! :D) at Regiment informed us the award was "deleted" I only had it for like a week! 3/5 is in Oki now and busy-hate to bother them. Maybe this isn't really a uniform question so I apologize in advance. Also been trying to find out whether we can wear our fourrageres if we go to other units. As boots we were told only authorized while on active duty with 5th or 6th MAR, but many swear because we deployed to combat (aka War) we can wear it for the rest of our careers. I do not care because I did not personally rate it (I was too young for WWI) but I wonder where I can find this in writing so I can prove some people wrong. SF and thanks y'all. :thumbup:

Also, for those more familiar with MOL than I, how should my awards read? I used to have duplicates of Iraq Campaign and Sea service, one from each trip. Shouldn't it say ICM with one star, etc? After this change one ICM went away and no star appeared in its place...

usmchauer
02-06-09, 05:14 PM
Also been trying to find out whether we can wear our fourrageres if we go to other units. As boots we were told only authorized while on active duty with 5th or 6th MAR, but many swear because we deployed to combat (aka War) we can wear it for the rest of our careers. I do not care because I did not personally rate it (I was too young for WWI) but I wonder where I can find this in writing so I can prove some people wrong. SF and thanks y'all. :thumbup:

I've always been led to believe that you can only wear the french fourrageres while on active duty with those two Regiments. I went to the ball in Vegas in '05 which was attended by SNCO's of mine that had already PCS'd to other units. They weren't wearing the fourragere. For the record, mine is still attached to my blues that are hanging in the closet. :thumbup:

PaidinBlood
02-06-09, 05:16 PM
I've always been led to believe that you can only wear the french fourrageres while on active duty with those two Regiments. I went to the ball in Vegas in '05 which was attended by SNCO's of mine that had already PCS'd to other units. They weren't wearing the fourragere. For the record, mine is still attached to my blues that are hanging in the closet. :thumbup:

Yeah just trying to find it in writing. You know what it's like trying to convince Marines..

giveen
02-06-09, 05:28 PM
You are correct, you can only wear it when you are active in the 5th or 6th
Unless you were there to earn the award, then you can continue to wear it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourrag%C3%A8re

PaidinBlood
02-06-09, 05:32 PM
Thanks y'all.. i was trying to find the regs though. Also, where can I find the citation for the NUC

giveen
02-06-09, 05:37 PM
Try looking at the ALMAR's page on marines.mil sometimes they have them listed there.

Zulu 36
02-06-09, 06:56 PM
If they still publish the Awards Manual, it should be listed in there, citation and all.

Zulu 36
02-06-09, 07:12 PM
If you're still active duty and can access the Marine only web sites, this is the link to the publication information you should need. The newest edition just came out 1/12/2009. Usually it is amended between editions via Marine Corps Bulletins.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/2006/REVISION%20OF%20SECNAVINST%201650.1G,%20NAVY%20AND %20MARINE%20CORPS%20AWARDS%20MANUAL.aspx

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-09, 05:00 AM
PiB:

No, unless you personally earned one, you can't wear the FFG. Unless you are assigned back to one of those units.

Check out my awards thread with the link to see if you 'rate' the NUC. Now, if it was just awarded, it won't be in there until the next update. If it's not, then check the MarAdmins for the past 30-60 days, specifically, Unit awards messages. They usually come out about every six months or so.

MarAdmin 0046-09 doesn't mention anything about a NUC to anyone at all. Just a GWOTSM awarded to 2/5.

The next one before that was October of 08, MarAdmin 602-08. Only NUC mentioned is to a Helo squadron.

I don't see 3/5 anywhere listed.

Sorry bro...

Quinbo
02-10-09, 06:08 AM
One of the pain in the ass things about being in a foreign country I can't look at .mil websites. I can tell you for a fact the day I checked into 5th Marines I went to supply and got a fourragere issued and the day I checked out had to give it back. A good friend of mine used to say we got a rope on our shoulder all we need is a kazoo in our pocket and we'll be mistaken for sea cadets.

silverdollar
02-10-09, 07:26 AM
Do they still call them pogy ropes?

Quinbo
02-10-09, 07:34 AM
Lance coolie on crap detail buffing the floors in the regiment building. Pause for a second and look at the walls. Hundreds of Marines with Navy Crosses and Medals of Honor decorate those halls. Picture of then SSgt Kellog looking meaner than a rattlesnake with a toothache ... so many to look at. Back to buffing the floor boot.

Petz
02-10-09, 07:45 AM
well in order for me to find my NUC and MUC that I didn't know I rated until the end of 2008 (I rated my MUC from 2001 and NUC from 2004) I had to search all the ALMARS to find them... mostly the awards updates.. but I looked through each line to make sure I didn't miss one... my eyes hurt after that.

what are your deployment dates? maybe I can help... I'm sure Sgt Lep has things in order... but I have nothing better to do right now.

PaidinBlood
02-10-09, 08:12 AM
Lance coolie on crap detail buffing the floors in the regiment building. Pause for a second and look at the walls. Hundreds of Marines with Navy Crosses and Medals of Honor decorate those halls. Picture of then SSgt Kellog looking meaner than a rattlesnake with a toothache ... so many to look at. Back to buffing the floor boot.

We just renovated that entire building. Paint, carpet, furniture, etc. Those pictures took some time to take down and put back up in the right order but you know it was worth it. :thumbup: Most of us would have never seen them were it not for that job. Or the memorial display with so many dogtags hung around an M16 that you couldn't close your hand around the chains. Makes ya feel kinda small. Semper Fi

PaidinBlood
02-10-09, 08:19 AM
well in order for me to find my NUC and MUC that I didn't know I rated until the end of 2008 (I rated my MUC from 2001 and NUC from 2004) I had to search all the ALMARS to find them... mostly the awards updates.. but I looked through each line to make sure I didn't miss one... my eyes hurt after that.

what are your deployment dates? maybe I can help... I'm sure Sgt Lep has things in order... but I have nothing better to do right now.

Thanks SSgt. I went through the ALMARS on Marines.mil but to be quite honest my eyes started crosing.

http://www.danheller.com/images/personal/Jack/BabyFace/BW/cross-eyed-jack-3-bw.jpg
I was there jan-aug '06 and sep07-apr08. I looked back only through 2009 and 2008. Honestly I am a piece of sh!t so I don't expect anything. I just didn't know how it appeared on MOL and then vanished within a week. The Corps giveth and it taketh away but I only had it on my moto sig for like 2 days!

As for the "pogey rope" thanks y'all. I knew you had to give it back but couldn't find it in writing besides the wiki page. Semper Fi y'all :usmc:

Petz
02-10-09, 01:41 PM
what were the subordinate commands as well as the major subordinate commands you fell under during those times.....

I usually got my unit citations from my MSC...

Quinbo
02-11-09, 06:48 AM
PIB ??? Is there still that giant brass bell in front of regiment? If so there is a big chip in it with my initials RJQ.

I was going through rehearsal for colors and showing how the bell was rang... dang thing fell to the ground cracked the concrete and chipped the bell. The Sgt Maj saw it from his office and rushed down there. He had us all polishing that thing for days. I had to dremel tool my initials on the chip. Thing was the only thing holding it up was a big ole bolt attached to the clapper and over time it worked loose and my lucky day the dang thing fell.

PaidinBlood
02-11-09, 08:21 AM
PIB ??? Is there still that giant brass bell in front of regiment? If so there is a big chip in it with my initials RJQ.

I was going through rehearsal for colors and showing how the bell was rang... dang thing fell to the ground cracked the concrete and chipped the bell. The Sgt Maj saw it from his office and rushed down there. He had us all polishing that thing for days. I had to dremel tool my initials on the chip. Thing was the only thing holding it up was a big ole bolt attached to the clapper and over time it worked loose and my lucky day the dang thing fell.

It is alive and well-I can only imagine what a fun day that was. :scared:
The Guard polishes it every day, weather permitting.

KawiGunny
02-11-09, 08:57 AM
the day I checked out had to give it back.

Thats sux. I served with 6th Marines on two different occaisions. The first back in the late 80's and again mid 2000's. Both times I kept my Fourragere. The one I was issued back in the 80's had a black tip and the last one had a brass tip. I used to wear the black tip when I wore my Alphas and the brass tip in Blues. Always got asked about the older one but oneone ever told me to take it off.