PDA

View Full Version : Can I be a Scout Sniper with a 3 year old DUI?

kevin0823
02-06-09, 10:19 AM
Probably a dumb*** question from a wannabe... I'm signing up this month. I want nothing more in life than to be a scout sniper. I have a few dings on my record from a wild youth. Petty theft in 04 (shoes) and a DUI in 06. I have been sober since and miraculously I stopped making dumb decisions. Also very active in the church and offering counselling to recovering addicts. What chance do I have of getting the required secret clearance? And would the Corps consider gracing me with an oppertunity for scout sniper given my past? any information would be helpful, and I appreciate the real warriors who take the time to help out youngsters like me.

Also I realize that a marine fresh out of boot stands zero chance of going to sniper school. I am looking forward to spending a year or two in infantry learning how to be more useful to the corps, and training as a PIG. Thanks again Marines!

outlaw3179
02-06-09, 11:38 AM
Probaby depends if you can get a security clearance or not. Just graduate bootcamp, don't get murdered by your NCO's when your a boot , dont get killed on your first deployment and then you can worry about it.

kevin0823
02-06-09, 11:43 AM
damn skippy. Besides, I always heard marines aren't allowed to die without permission. Much appreciated on the help.

outlaw3179
02-06-09, 11:46 AM
lol..kill.

AL49BGN
02-06-09, 11:48 AM
Kevin,first worry about graduating Bootcamp and earning the title.I am glad to hear that you have straightened up.Good luck!

kevin0823
02-06-09, 11:52 AM
once again thank you so much. can't say it enough. marines are the best, and i look forward to earning the right to be one.

0231Marine
02-06-09, 11:54 AM
damn skippy. Besides, I always heard marines aren't allowed to die without permission. Much appreciated on the help.

Did you hear that Marines is always capitalized too?

kevin0823
02-06-09, 12:03 PM
Ignorant mistake on my part... dropping and giving twenty now.

NoRemorse
02-06-09, 12:07 PM
Ignorant mistake on my part... dropping and giving twenty now.

Did you say four counts? I thought I distinctly heard four counts. Good luck earning the title. Stay motivated.

kevin0823
02-06-09, 12:22 PM
4 counts all the way! Plus I'm writing Marines on the chalkboard 1000 times.

yellowwing
02-06-09, 12:24 PM
Stay involved in your community activities. TOS investigators would most likely be talking to them in the future.

Petz
02-06-09, 01:05 PM
community service is always a positive... is that what you meant yellowwing?????

if you get 500 hours in before you enlist, that will go a long way.
I heard somewhere that 400 takes like 8 months to get..... you can do it in one.

yellowwing
02-06-09, 01:37 PM
community service is always a positive... is that what you meant yellowwing?????

if you get 500 hours in before you enlist, that will go a long way.
I heard somewhere that 400 takes like 8 months to get..... you can do it in one.

Kevin's orignal post mentions "I have been sober since and miraculously I stopped making dumb decisions. Also very active in the church and offering counselling to recovering addicts."

Petz
02-06-09, 01:48 PM
sooooo that counselling is logged? if not they won't be able to track it very easily.

but good on him, that's great news.

kevin0823
02-06-09, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the great info! The hours are not logged, but easily veriffiable because they were worked on a regular schedule under the supervision of a Navy vet. I'm somewhere around 700 hours so I'm much more comfortable now. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an automatic disqualification. Much appreciation for helping a newbie!

Seyborg
02-06-09, 04:09 PM
lol..kill.

lol. Er sgt.

Petz
02-06-09, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the great info! The hours are not logged, but easily veriffiable because they were worked on a regular schedule under the supervision of a Navy vet. I'm somewhere around 700 hours so I'm much more comfortable now. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an automatic disqualification. Much appreciation for helping a newbie!

well having it verified can be easy... it's best to have it logged. See if he can do that for you, I'm curious if he can even back date it.... I'd appreciate it if you could at least find out for me. I appreciate it.:bunny:

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
02-06-09, 06:41 PM
Kevin

I been out a the loop a while but my 2 cents here, K.. Be honest and show some remorse and be humble when recounting your past in any interview. Use this time since those mistakes as positive steps to a better civilian in the community. It looks like you are doing this very well. Get some personal credit and accounts and use this in a very responsible manner to show a record of honest keeping of affairs. Read every thread and book on the subject of scout sniper and its roll in the battle field along with police and competitive shooting. Keep a high degree of fitness and think through risks in competitive situations to be a healthy injury free athelete and deal with the injurys at the time and not allow them to compile to greater injury.. Find mentors that are in a mind set for your future plans and goal. This challenge you want is a select few that make it to the end of training cycle for graduation and rather political in the community so be ready for patiance and flowing with the situation positivly as you always give your most in all situations. There is much much more that can be added to this so be patient and liston to experience and old guys alsoo..