PDA

View Full Version : Above and beyond the call

thedrifter
02-06-09, 08:49 AM
CAMP SCHWAB, Okinawa (February 6, 2009) -- I began my duty in 1944 and have no plans to retire.

I have stood proudly on the chest of men such as Chesty Puller. It is here I tell their story of heroism and bravery, but not with words.

I am something for all to see.

I may be small at an inch and a half, but I guard a heart as big as any.

My story changes with the man I am pinned on.

My story is his to hold close to his heart.

I am not here to gain glory, but to honor my friend.

I am a Bronze Star and my V represents the valor this man has shown.

The case for Cpl. Nicholas Cox, a combat engineer with Combat Engineer Company, Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, was presented before me Jan. 29.

I was to honor his actions in Afghanistan where he, as a lance corporal, served as a mentor to the Afghan National Army in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in June.

It was with great pride I hung from the pocket of his service utilities uniform as the warrant detailing his heroic actions was read aloud at the Camp Schwab theater.

Cox exposed himself to enemy fire to cover the withdrawal of his Afghan National Army platoon after they were ambushed by anti-Afghan forces.

After a bullet struck him in his arm, he continued to eliminate targets at point-blank range.

He continued to engage the enemy and refused medical care until his team and his Afghan soldiers were out of the kill zone.

Following the warrant ceremony, I listened with pride as Cox told his story during an interview.

"It wasn't the right time and place to get treated," Cox said of his decision to stay in the fight. "There were other things that needed more attention at the time."

I heard Cox say in his interview his prior training played a big part in how he reacted that day.

"It was muscle memory, when you lift your weapon and see the enemy it all comes back, you eliminate the enemy and move to the next target," he said. "They say fight or fly, and that's very true."

For eternity, I will represent his story and the stories of brave service members past. It is through their heroic actions I am earned, not given.